Re: What disciplines of engineering are most usefull for pedal designers?
Contributor - Level 1

What disciplines of engineering are most usefull for pedal designers?

For a school research project my goal is to create a fuzz pedal that is of my design. I'm having trouble finding information on how I can utilise electronic components to change the sound coming out of the amp. 

A place to start on how I would go about designing my very own pedal would be brilliant

Thanks, Rigba.

rigba Contributor - Level 1 2019-08-01

2019-08-01

What disciplines of engineering are most usefull for pedal designers?

For a school research project my goal is to create a fuzz pedal that is of my design. I'm having trouble finding information on how I can utilise electronic components to change the sound coming out of the amp. 

A place to start on how I would go about designing my very own pedal would be brilliant

Thanks, Rigba.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor - Level 3

Hi,

Have you tried a google search on guitar pedal layout and schematics? There are countless great resources out there explaining how pedals work, and what components do what, both written and on YouTube. From there, you can get a breadboard and some basic components, build yourself a couple of basic circuits, get a feel for what the components do by changing a resistor or a capacitor here and there, and come up with your own design

The old adage "there's nothing new under the sun" also applies here - so don't be afraid to study the greats, and go from there. And have fun. 

Triber Moderator

totally agree, rather than just reading books about electronics and circuit design, start is to build your own pedal from a kit and learn from putting it together. 

TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Triber Moderator

You can check out some available DIY kits on these sites

https://buildyourownclone.com/

https://effectpedalkits.com/product-category/kits/

cheers, Mike

TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs