Contributor - Level 1

Whistling Into Perform VK Creates Extreme Distortion

I sometimes like to whistle while playing but noticed after a few seconds the VK starts to over process to the point of creating very loud distortion. I tried it with multiple presets and with Tone and Pitch turned off but had no luck.

I've also noticed higher frequencies seem to get cut with any hand percussion or other instruments in the mic. I often do this when routing the mic to my ditto looper. They come out with little gain and sounding dull. Is there a preset I could use for this or is this just a function of the VK being strictly for vocals?

Thanks,
Greg
GregoryShmegory Contributor - Level 1 2017-09-07

2017-09-07

Whistling Into Perform VK Creates Extreme Distortion

I sometimes like to whistle while playing but noticed after a few seconds the VK starts to over process to the point of creating very loud distortion. I tried it with multiple presets and with Tone and Pitch turned off but had no luck.

I've also noticed higher frequencies seem to get cut with any hand percussion or other instruments in the mic. I often do this when routing the mic to my ditto looper. They come out with little gain and sounding dull. Is there a preset I could use for this or is this just a function of the VK being strictly for vocals?

Thanks,
Greg

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Contributor - Level 1

Status mysteriously changed. Giving up

For whatever reason I wasn't getting the bizarre distortion when practicing the next day.
Unfortunately I've decided to go another route and will be returning it. This unit is just too unpredictable to use during a performance. I play disco, rock, blues and need more presets. The phone usb connection seems to time out after a while and sometimes crashes my phone. I just can't trust it.
When I'm not hearing problems the sound quality is amazing. I hope to move to a more advanced Helicon unit when I find the room in my budget.

Cheers,
Greg
Highlighted
Solution Leader

Re: Whistling Into Perform VK Creates Extreme Distortion

Hi Greg,

Our products generally aren't meant to be whistled into when it comes to the vocal effects. Try turning Tone off and see if the noises go away. It's something we have managed to address in other products and I'll get Spencer to take a look at it on VK.
Cheers, Craig Brand Solutions Leader - Broadcast & Streaming