RubyTuesday Contributor - Level 2 2014-09-15

2014-09-15

White screen!

Hi

I've started seeing an intermittent problem with VL3 (Firmware 1.1.01) where it won't boot past the white screen.

It appeared to be ok if I boot with all other cables disconnected but this morning it's doing it regardless (only power cable connected).

At power up the screen goes all white, then stays that way. It periodically flickers then remains white.

Sometimes it eventually boots if I leave it long enough, but the time is variable.

Has anyone else seen this?

Cheers

Ruby

• 0 Kudos
  • 134 Replies
Solution Leader

Re: White screen!

Hi Keith,

So sorry to hear that it let you down during rehearsal. Michael definitely has good advice that it's often fastest to do a "DOA" swap with your dealer before sending it to TC-H's facility for repair. Give that a shot first and let me know if they do an on the spot exchange for you.

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers, Craig Brand Solutions Leader - Broadcast & Streaming
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Craig,

I bought my VL3 at the end of 2014. Last night, at our church rehearsal, the white screen popped up. I rely on the VL3 to get all the acustic and electric tones for my Taylor T5, so right now I have nothing. I've tried factory reset, nothing. I've tried to upload the software, the pc doesn't even scan the unit.
I tried and called the facility in Vegas to see how the repair process works, and they simply told me that my unit is not under warranty and that will cost $125/hr for labor, plus parts, plus shipping and handling, and about a month to get it repaired.
So the unit that I was so passionate about, kept it nice and tight, never dropped, not a single scratch, and even have the plastic on the screen, simply didn't last for more than 15 months. $800+ invested and if I want to still have the unit that who knows how long it will lst after repair, I'll have to spend extra hundreds.

Simply disappointed.

Luis
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Day after day, the White Sceen Ghost is haunting us. I believe I'm one of TC VL3 biggest fan! And I say the best about it to everybody here in Brazil. But honestly, everytime I turn it on my heart stomps.... I really hope TC find a way to solve this issue soon... I imagine how frustrating a White Screen must be...
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Daniel,

is it related to this?

http://support.tc-helicon.com/entries/98883418-VL3x-Crash-Bug-repeatable

all the best

- Hanz
Hanz Marathon www.marathon-music.com
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Hanz,

Nope. it's related to the pics below.

Thx tough,

Luis

IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Luis,

does this white screen stay with no rebooting?
Hanz Marathon www.marathon-music.com
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Luis: You mentioned:

"even have the plastic on the screen, simply didn't last for more than 15 months."

Just a thought. Could leaving the plastic protective sheet on the whole unit for this length of time cause issues?Excess heat? (Perhaps removing it and resetting the unit? Anyway, I hope you get your situation resolved.

Brian
Solution Leader

Hi All,

I don't think the plastic would have any effect on the system, other than potentially reducing the button sensitivity.

Luis, do you have an incident (ticket) number from your interactions with support?

Cheers,
Craig

Contributor - Level 2

hi craig,

No, I don't.

After I contacted the Vegas facility, they just send me the Request Repair form, but I haven't taken any action yet since it's not under warranty.

-Luis
Solution Leader

Hi Luis,

Ok, I'll get one of the support guys to reach out to you.

Cheers,
Craig