Contributor - Level 1

XLR to 1/4" cable output problem

I purchased an XLR to 1/4" cable to be able to use a guitar amp as vocal output when I do not have access to the PA. The male XLR is plugged into the mono voice output of my VL3 and have the 1/4" side plugged into the amp input. I cannot get any sound (vocal) to come though when I plug my guitar into the guitar input of the VL3. I even tried the monitor out, but I get nothing. The cable itself works as I have tested it with the amp by plugging the microphone directly. When the PA is connected to the same output with a standard XLR everything works fine, but I need to be able to connect to a guitar-type amp when practicing. If I unplug the guitar from VL3 input, it works. Is this because the unit is sensing the hybrid XLR cable as a second unbalanced output or something else? Or am I missing a setting? Please help! Thanks!
Tags (1)
JamalCaliste Contributor - Level 1 2016-01-30

2016-01-30

XLR to 1/4" cable output problem

I purchased an XLR to 1/4" cable to be able to use a guitar amp as vocal output when I do not have access to the PA. The male XLR is plugged into the mono voice output of my VL3 and have the 1/4" side plugged into the amp input. I cannot get any sound (vocal) to come though when I plug my guitar into the guitar input of the VL3. I even tried the monitor out, but I get nothing. The cable itself works as I have tested it with the amp by plugging the microphone directly. When the PA is connected to the same output with a standard XLR everything works fine, but I need to be able to connect to a guitar-type amp when practicing. If I unplug the guitar from VL3 input, it works. Is this because the unit is sensing the hybrid XLR cable as a second unbalanced output or something else? Or am I missing a setting? Please help! Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: XLR to 1/4" cable output problem

Did you find any solution? I'm going to need to have the same connection, and I hope someone could solve this probelm...
Solution Leader

Hi there,

Sorry this post was missed when it first came up.

I'm not sure what the issue would be. If you set your unit to MONO for the output, it'll sum both guitar and vocals onto one XLR output, which can then be used with an XLR--> 1/4" cable.

I'd suspect he was connecting in Dual Mono mode, which splits the vocals and guitar onto each XLR respectively.

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers, Craig Brand Solutions Leader - Broadcast & Streaming
Contributor - Level 2

You're surely right, Craig. Yesterday I connected my VL3 to a guitar amp using a XLR/jack adapter and, with mono output, I got everything (GTR, VCL and AUX) perfectly audible!
Solution Leader

Woo hoo!

Glad to hear it.

-Craig
Cheers, Craig Brand Solutions Leader - Broadcast & Streaming
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Craig: VL3X. Vocal Mike plugged in and out to snake. Guitar: input, and got cable going from 1/4 output (top one) to D box converting to xlr to snake. Voice is good, but not getting anything out 1/4 output from VL3X for snake. Cables test good. Is there a setting I need to djust of the unit? I did see a flash on screen about 1/4 plugin detected, but then it disappeared. Only saw it for a sec. help

blessings

Dave