Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

volume pedal linear vs log

Hi All,

New user here but of a used system. I've followed the white paper and have the system working and happy apart from a minor niggle.
I have a boss EV 30 expression pedal as a volume pedal. TRS to TRS. Plugged into the brain's volume socket.
It is functioning as a volume pedal so woohoo for that. However, the effect of the volume pedal is all in the last few millimetres of travel. It calibrates as 0-50.
It calibrates the same if I use it as an expression pedal plugged into the brain's expression socket.
The pedal is reacting in a logarithmic manner. Is it possible to change it to a more liner feeling so that all the volume control isn't just in the last few mm of travel?

Seen as I bought the system used should I be re-installing everything and starting from scratch? I realise this may be good practise but will it actually address the niggle I have?

Cheers for now!
Tags (1)
fadersnstuff Contributor - Level 2 2017-04-13

2017-04-13

volume pedal linear vs log

Hi All,

New user here but of a used system. I've followed the white paper and have the system working and happy apart from a minor niggle.
I have a boss EV 30 expression pedal as a volume pedal. TRS to TRS. Plugged into the brain's volume socket.
It is functioning as a volume pedal so woohoo for that. However, the effect of the volume pedal is all in the last few millimetres of travel. It calibrates as 0-50.
It calibrates the same if I use it as an expression pedal plugged into the brain's expression socket.
The pedal is reacting in a logarithmic manner. Is it possible to change it to a more liner feeling so that all the volume control isn't just in the last few mm of travel?

Seen as I bought the system used should I be re-installing everything and starting from scratch? I realise this may be good practise but will it actually address the niggle I have?

Cheers for now!

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: volume pedal linear vs log

fadersnstuff wrote:
Hi All,

Cheers for now!

What are your settings in the pedals menu for that pedal?
Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I'm away from the pedal board for the next two weeks but from memory...

Volume control = vol
GFX vol type = expression
everything else set to off
then calibrated the the GFX heel down min = 0 toe down max = 50
volume set to global and to input

Using the same pedal as expression into the GFX expression jack with all other options set to off, for expression control the pedal also calibrates min =0 max =50 and I seem to have smooth operation throughout the sweep of the pedal as opposed to the volume sweep which is all in the last few mm of travel.

Thanks lots!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

As an experiment: Try fibbing to the G and telling it that your GFX Vol Type = Vol. Does that improve things at all?
Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I'll give it a try on my return from Japan in a little over a week.
Thanks lots!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Given the liitle fib a go and it has definitely improved the feel. It's almost like a volume pedal now! Thanks lots for your input.