Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

AES50 cable test

This may be a silly question, but just wondering. If I have a cable I want to quickly test without access to a tester, is it possible to use the cable to link AES50-A to AES50-B on the back of the X32 to quickly verify that the cable is good (before running it all out!).
As I type this I'm thinking that no this won't work as the X32 will either be set to Internal, AES50-A or AES50-B for sync. Think I may have answered my own question.

In case you are wondering, I don't have access to my X32 right now as the question occurs to me.

Tags (2)
VicCurtis Contributor - Level 2 2019-02-20

2019-02-20

AES50 cable test

This may be a silly question, but just wondering. If I have a cable I want to quickly test without access to a tester, is it possible to use the cable to link AES50-A to AES50-B on the back of the X32 to quickly verify that the cable is good (before running it all out!).
As I type this I'm thinking that no this won't work as the X32 will either be set to Internal, AES50-A or AES50-B for sync. Think I may have answered my own question.

In case you are wondering, I don't have access to my X32 right now as the question occurs to me.

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Contributor - Level 2

Re: AES50 cable test

Thanks Paul, I guess I'll just try it and see. I do have a cable tester too (but not with me at the moment). Just thought, if it works, it would be a useful little hack, if, as is so often the case the one time you want to use it, it's elsewhere, back in the truck, on another stage... sod's law. When I'm reunited with my X32, I'll give it a try and report back.

@Paul_Vannatto wrote:

Actually Vic, I vaguely remember someone trying that (connect both AES50 ports with same cable) many moons ago and reporting back that it did in fact work. I don't recall the actual situation and why they needed to try it, but do remember that it did work. That said, network cable testers can be bought relatively cheaply (ebay, etc.) and would probably be a good thing to have in your tool pouch.

View solution in original post

Volunteer Moderator

Actually Vic, I vaguely remember someone trying that (connect both AES50 ports with same cable) many moons ago and reporting back that it did in fact work. I don't recall the actual situation and why they needed to try it, but do remember that it did work. That said, network cable testers can be bought relatively cheaply (ebay, etc.) and would probably be a good thing to have in your tool pouch.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Paul, I guess I'll just try it and see. I do have a cable tester too (but not with me at the moment). Just thought, if it works, it would be a useful little hack, if, as is so often the case the one time you want to use it, it's elsewhere, back in the truck, on another stage... sod's law. When I'm reunited with my X32, I'll give it a try and report back.

@Paul_Vannatto wrote:

View solution in original post

Contributor - Level 2

@VicCurtis wrote:

@Paul_Vannatto wrote:

OK, to answer my own question, yes it does in fact work, at least with a cable patched from  AES50-A to AES50-B  the routing/home page displays AES50A and B in sync and "green" it also displays the device connected to each of the AES50 ports.
Why did I want to try this? Well my first attempt at making up some AES cables and I bought a 100m reel of stranded FTP cable and because it is stranded (26AWG at that) I suspected that the insertion loss would be greater and it probably wouldn't work at a full 100m run. I could use my cabletester to do a static check for correct wiring (just as well as I managed to get one termination with a crossed pair due to the pair crossing as I inserted it into the RJ45 - obviously pays to double check with a magnifying glass before crimping!!!)
In the end I started with a 1m patch (mainly to practice my RJ45 crimping) and used that to verify the link between AES ports A and B would sync up.
The I tried terminating both ends of the remaining 99m of cable and checked for sync again but this time it would not sync although it must have detected something as the AES sync indicators changed from grey to red. This result was pretty much as I suspected.
From looking at the insertion loss/m figure for my cable and that of one of the better quality ones I've seen mentioned elsewhere on this forum I figured that if one of those "good" cables will run to 100m then my "inferior" cable would have about the same loss at around 70m. So my next test was to trim a further 19m off my reel leaving me with an 80m run. This time when tested, it synced up fine, I suspect this is probably at it's limit.

For anyone wondering why I am using my "inferior" cable. Well 99% of the time I just use my X32 rack on stage and mix remotely using the PC and/or android app. My friend has aquired an X32 console and on a couple of bigger events (2 or 3 this year) we plan to work together and use my Rack as a stage box and his X32 for FoH console. We've already tried that with a short patch cable and it works a treat. So now my newly fabricated cable will allow us to take this configuration to a couple of live gigs (and save us lugging our old 24/8 50m snake with us!).
When time permits we'll rig the two X32's together again and try some sound tests too. If I notice any problems I can afford to trim the reel back another 10 or 20 m as I believe 60m is probably as long as we'll need (but it's always handy to have a bit extra for flexibility).
Of course, I've used shielded RJ45's and on the main reel added neutrik ethercon carriers to improve the physical security of the conection.
For anyone interested, this is the cable I used
https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/157c/0900766b8157cd57.pdf

And these were the connectors I used:
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/17019-ubiquiti-tc-con10/

Hope this info may be of use to others considering making their own AES cable.

Volunteer Moderator

Hey Vic, thanks for confirming that it worked and my memory isn't totally gone 

You may want to add the ethercon ends such as these

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/907939-REG/Neutrik_NE8MC_RJ45_Cable_Connector.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/907941-REG/Neutrik_NE8MC_B_1_etherCON_Cable_Connector.html

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Yep, got a couple of those and a couple of rubber dust covers too. Good tip.

Vic.

@Paul_Vannatto wrote:

Hey Vic, thanks for confirming that it worked and my memory isn't totally gone 

You may want to add the ethercon ends such as these

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/907939-REG/Neutrik_NE8MC_RJ45_Cable_Connector.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/907941-REG/Neutrik_NE8MC_B_1_etherCON_Cable_Connector.html