Contributor - Level 1

All Behringer rig not working as expected (portable PA + sub)

The gear: 
Behringer eps500mp3s portable PA (main outs listed as 1/4" TS). With the PA kit come two 1/4" - 1/4" TS cables to be used to plug into the speakers.

Behringer B1200d-pro powered sub with onboard crossover (XLR in/out, and XLR thru out).

The setup:
I ran TRS to XLR cables from amp/mixer to sub then again to the speakers. 

The issue:
When using the crossover output I get no sound from the speakers but the sub seems to sound fine. When using the thru output I get proper sound on one speaker, and distorted sound on the other, sub seems to sound fine. 

In my limited knowledge I'm imagining some sort of DI boxing might need to be done, but still I should be getting some sound from the main out, right? Why am I not getting the highs out from the crossover, and why is one speaker sounding distorted when both are plugged thru? For note, this speaker sounds absolutely fine when not paired with the sub. Both speakers can be cranked and sound great when the sub is not in the chain.

Just trying to get a diagnosis before looking into a possible defect issue. Thank you for helping out a recent returner to live sound!!

horsefarm Contributor - Level 1 4 weeks ago

4 weeks ago

All Behringer rig not working as expected (portable PA + sub)

The gear: 
Behringer eps500mp3s portable PA (main outs listed as 1/4" TS). With the PA kit come two 1/4" - 1/4" TS cables to be used to plug into the speakers.

Behringer B1200d-pro powered sub with onboard crossover (XLR in/out, and XLR thru out).

The setup:
I ran TRS to XLR cables from amp/mixer to sub then again to the speakers. 

The issue:
When using the crossover output I get no sound from the speakers but the sub seems to sound fine. When using the thru output I get proper sound on one speaker, and distorted sound on the other, sub seems to sound fine. 

In my limited knowledge I'm imagining some sort of DI boxing might need to be done, but still I should be getting some sound from the main out, right? Why am I not getting the highs out from the crossover, and why is one speaker sounding distorted when both are plugged thru? For note, this speaker sounds absolutely fine when not paired with the sub. Both speakers can be cranked and sound great when the sub is not in the chain.

Just trying to get a diagnosis before looking into a possible defect issue. Thank you for helping out a recent returner to live sound!!

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Trusted Contributor - Level 3

Re: All Behringer rig not working as expected (portable PA + sub)

Hi @horsefarm 

The eps500mp3s has power amplifiers built in the mixer—the speakers are unpowered. The subwoofer is powered. The speakers need to be directly connected to the the mixer. Try running the subwoofer from the Mon (to active speakers)

Use the Monitor Send knob to change the subwoofer level.

Trusted Contributor - Level 3

Hi @horsefarm 

The eps500mp3s has power amplifiers built in the mixer—the speakers are unpowered. The subwoofer is powered. The speakers need to be directly connected to the the mixer. Try running the subwoofer from the Mon (to active speakers)

Use the Monitor Send knob to change the subwoofer level.

Contributor - Level 1

This makes sense as to why I wasn't getting sound from the crossover. I'm learning live sound bits at a time, so I'm not surprised I missed this which probably sounds obvious to everyone else! I did try the monitor outs before, but still going through the sub. I didn't think to keep the speakers in the mains and just EQ bass out. Thank you! Will try this out and report back. 

EDIT: 

Thank you! This worked and expanded by knowledge a bit. Appreciate it.