Contributor - Level 3

Another routing question on a x32 Compact

Hi All

Please be gentle I'm an inexperienced audio engineer (I'm a video broadcast engineer by trade). I have a stupid question regarding inserting an outboard device on the stereo mix out of a x32 Compact.

Here is the current setup, I have a Behringer x32 compact with a SD16 and SD8, the mics are mainly on the SD16 and I have some Mics on the SD8 plus 6 speakers on the SD8. The speakers are feed via the Matrix on the X32, so the levels can be independently controlled on each of the 6 outputs. All working great.

Now here is where I'm stuck (again), I now need to feed my main stereo mix through a stereo outboard device (An optimod) then feed the output to the 6 SD8 outputs keeping the independent control of levels as before.

Is there a way of 'inserting' the outboard between the master fader and the matrix feeds to the SD8?

Hopefully somebody will say yes you pillock, its done by .................

Mark13 Contributor - Level 3 2019-06-27

2019-06-27

Another routing question on a x32 Compact

Hi All

Please be gentle I'm an inexperienced audio engineer (I'm a video broadcast engineer by trade). I have a stupid question regarding inserting an outboard device on the stereo mix out of a x32 Compact.

Here is the current setup, I have a Behringer x32 compact with a SD16 and SD8, the mics are mainly on the SD16 and I have some Mics on the SD8 plus 6 speakers on the SD8. The speakers are feed via the Matrix on the X32, so the levels can be independently controlled on each of the 6 outputs. All working great.

Now here is where I'm stuck (again), I now need to feed my main stereo mix through a stereo outboard device (An optimod) then feed the output to the 6 SD8 outputs keeping the independent control of levels as before.

Is there a way of 'inserting' the outboard between the master fader and the matrix feeds to the SD8?

Hopefully somebody will say yes you pillock, its done by .................

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Another routing question on a x32 Compact

@Mark13 wrote:

Sorry dumb question again, I have downloaded the x32 Edit and completely followed the instructions and make complete sense and works offline but i have a stupid questions.

So in the config section for LR, I select Aux 1 in the effects selection, if im right the mixer basically breaks the signal path, send the signal out of Aux 1 O/P on the rear of the mixer, in to an outboard processing box, that box returns the signal to the desk via the Aux 1 I/P  and the mixer puts this returned signal back in to recomplete the path. The question is when I select LR this is the stereo mix not a single channel, so when you select insert Aux 1, you are only selecting 1 channel ie just the left signal, dont I need a way to select AUX 1 and Aux 2 so to keep the stereo mix?

@Mark13 

Hi Mark, I agree it looks like you are only inserting one Aux loop into a stereo bus. Fortunately the X32 knows that the Main LR bus is stereo so it uses two Aux outputs/inputs - even though that doesn't show anywhere. So select Aux 1 (or Aux 2) as the insert path and connect your processor to Aux 1 and Aux 2.

View solution in original post

@Mark13 wrote:

ahhhh, I might have worked it out, do you have to go into Aux FX one the left hand lower column, Select the AUX 1 channel, in the top section select Stereo Link and link it to Aux 2?

@Mark13 

That's a good thought, Mark, but not necessary. This would link two Aux inputs as a stereo pair - which is sometimes useful but not in this case. When used for inserts, the Aux inputs don't reach their assigned channels but re-enter the selected channel/bus.

@Mark13 

Hi Mark, you can insert an external signal processor into the Main LR signal flow. It will affect the straight LR output and any Matrix buses that it feeds. The processor is connected through the Aux output and input sockets.

You can set it up using X32 Edit by selecting Main LR, opening the Config tab and using the insert pull-down box to select the required Aux output/input. Also click on the FX button to enable it. Check on Routing -> Aux Output that the required Aux ouputs are set to Insert by clicking the Ins column.

Contributor - Level 3

You rock, I will try it tomorrow Thank you

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry dumb question again, I have downloaded the x32 Edit and completely followed the instructions and make complete sense and works offline but i have a stupid questions.

So in the config section for LR, I select Aux 1 in the effects selection, if im right the mixer basically breaks the signal path, send the signal out of Aux 1 O/P on the rear of the mixer, in to an outboard processing box, that box returns the signal to the desk via the Aux 1 I/P  and the mixer puts this returned signal back in to recomplete the path. The question is when I select LR this is the stereo mix not a single channel, so when you select insert Aux 1, you are only selecting 1 channel ie just the left signal, dont I need a way to select AUX 1 and Aux 2 so to keep the stereo mix?

Contributor - Level 3

ahhhh, I might have worked it out, do you have to go into Aux FX one the left hand lower column, Select the AUX 1 channel, in the top section select Stereo Link and link it to Aux 2?

@Mark13 wrote:

@Mark13 

Hi Mark, I agree it looks like you are only inserting one Aux loop into a stereo bus. Fortunately the X32 knows that the Main LR bus is stereo so it uses two Aux outputs/inputs - even though that doesn't show anywhere. So select Aux 1 (or Aux 2) as the insert path and connect your processor to Aux 1 and Aux 2.

@Mark13 wrote:

@Mark13 

That's a good thought, Mark, but not necessary. This would link two Aux inputs as a stereo pair - which is sometimes useful but not in this case. When used for inserts, the Aux inputs don't reach their assigned channels but re-enter the selected channel/bus.

Contributor - Level 3

Thank you, thats great info and help

@Mark13 wrote:

Thank you, thats great info and help

@Mark13 

Happy to help, Mark. We'll soon convert you from broadcast video to audio engineering. Sorry we can't offer an option to show any of the weird broadcast metering scales.