Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Bus Sends pre Multirack on X32

Hi all, the band I'm currently playing with is using Multirack with our X32 and as a musician playing, I've come to find a discomfort with this. Our FOH likes to over process things a lot, and as a result, all of the EQ's, Compression, and Gating that he does takes affect in my in ears. Is there a way on the X32 so that you can route bus sends before the signal goes to the card out to be processed on the Mac? In theory this would be simple but I have not found any posts to help with this. Any and all helps/tricks/advice are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
DanielSmith Contributor - Level 2 2017-05-11

2017-05-11

Bus Sends pre Multirack on X32

Hi all, the band I'm currently playing with is using Multirack with our X32 and as a musician playing, I've come to find a discomfort with this. Our FOH likes to over process things a lot, and as a result, all of the EQ's, Compression, and Gating that he does takes affect in my in ears. Is there a way on the X32 so that you can route bus sends before the signal goes to the card out to be processed on the Mac? In theory this would be simple but I have not found any posts to help with this. Any and all helps/tricks/advice are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Bus Sends pre Multirack on X32

When I understand your setup correctly, the Multitrack is selected as input for the 32 channels, while the inputs are routed to Multitrack directly.
Then there is no chance to get the pre Multitrack signal.
Contributor - Level 3

^This. If you've got spare channels you can double patch, eg preamp1 feeds ch1 and ch20. Ch1 goes to multirack for processing, then back to FOH, ch20 goes direct to your ears (or perhaps with some X32 processing, which will still mean less latency than multirack.) Of course this relies on having spare channels in the right spots so that you're not hampered by the blocks-of-8.

Another option is to cut down on the multirack processing. If you've got spare auxins you can use multirack as inserts on up to 6x channels\buses as inserts. You can send channels to your ears pre insert point.

The third option is to send channels to your ears, use the out1-16\auxout\ultranet then card out tabs to get signals out of the X32, process them in multirack, then return on new channels. However, as with the first solution, this relies on you having spare channels in the right spots.
Super Contributor - Level 2

If the channel mix bus send taps are set to Input, will that not avoid the issue? Or does setting the channel Source to Card mess that up?
Indianapolis, IN