Contributor - Level 1

Cue Midi Trigger

Hi,

We are currently triggering snippets and cues on the X32 Rack via MIDI from Ableton Live on a Laptop and also passing these on to our M32R at FOH. So far this works flawless via Program Changes.

Unfortunately Ableton Live has the limitation to only send Program Changes at the very beginning of a Midi Clip.
The way we have setup our show means, that only one snippet/cue can be triggered at the very beginning of each song.
But we would like to trigger cues in the middle of a song.
I see there is a "MIDI" option in the Scenes page, where you can setup specific triggers for each cue. These can be Program Changes, Control Changes or Midi Notes.
But so far I have had no luck to trigger a cue when sending Control Changes or Midi Notes.

F.G. I set the trigger for a cue to "Note, Channel 2, Note 1, Velocity 100".
But whatever note I send to the X32 Rack, it doesn't trigger the cue.

Can anybody point me to the correct direction?

0verfl0w Contributor - Level 1 2019-06-25

2019-06-25

Cue Midi Trigger

Hi,

We are currently triggering snippets and cues on the X32 Rack via MIDI from Ableton Live on a Laptop and also passing these on to our M32R at FOH. So far this works flawless via Program Changes.

Unfortunately Ableton Live has the limitation to only send Program Changes at the very beginning of a Midi Clip.
The way we have setup our show means, that only one snippet/cue can be triggered at the very beginning of each song.
But we would like to trigger cues in the middle of a song.
I see there is a "MIDI" option in the Scenes page, where you can setup specific triggers for each cue. These can be Program Changes, Control Changes or Midi Notes.
But so far I have had no luck to trigger a cue when sending Control Changes or Midi Notes.

F.G. I set the trigger for a cue to "Note, Channel 2, Note 1, Velocity 100".
But whatever note I send to the X32 Rack, it doesn't trigger the cue.

Can anybody point me to the correct direction?

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Cue Midi Trigger

@0verfl0w 

Hi Florian, welcome to the community.

The Midi options on the Scenes page are used to set Midi output triggers for when Cues/Scenes/Snippets are executed. They cannot be used to set input triggers.

What you could do is use a software or hardware Midi Mapper to translate a Note message to a Program Change. In software, Midi-Ox (or the Mac equivalent) would work. In hardware, Midi Solutions Event Processor Plus would be a good choice.

Contributor - Level 1

Re: Cue Midi Trigger

Ahh - this explains a lot.

Many thanks for your quick answer.