Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2
Contributor - Level 2

DCA Details X32

Salutations.  

I have searched for extended time for detailed information on the exact structure of the DCA function on the x32.  I apologize it this has already been addressed, but I could not find it.

First question:  Does the DCA control the HeadAmp on the channel or does it control the Fader?  Another was of asking: when the DCA fader is decreased, is there a related decrease in gain to all signal paths originating in that channel?  (e.g. are pre-fader monitor bus sends decreased as well as post-fader group buses with downstream paths such as mains and matrix?)  

Second question:  what is the range of effect of the DCA on the headamp (assuming it is the headamp)?  For example. is when the DCA fader is at unity, I assume the DCA is having no effect on the channel.  But if the DCA fader is pushed to max is it possible to overdrive the channel headamp or downstream buses?  Or is DCA max where the DCA has no effect and all control is only to decrease gain?

Third question:  can the DCA also control buses and what are the pitfalls?

I am grateful for your assistance.

jjz Contributor - Level 2 2020-04-27

2020-04-27

DCA Details X32

Salutations.  

I have searched for extended time for detailed information on the exact structure of the DCA function on the x32.  I apologize it this has already been addressed, but I could not find it.

First question:  Does the DCA control the HeadAmp on the channel or does it control the Fader?  Another was of asking: when the DCA fader is decreased, is there a related decrease in gain to all signal paths originating in that channel?  (e.g. are pre-fader monitor bus sends decreased as well as post-fader group buses with downstream paths such as mains and matrix?)  

Second question:  what is the range of effect of the DCA on the headamp (assuming it is the headamp)?  For example. is when the DCA fader is at unity, I assume the DCA is having no effect on the channel.  But if the DCA fader is pushed to max is it possible to overdrive the channel headamp or downstream buses?  Or is DCA max where the DCA has no effect and all control is only to decrease gain?

Third question:  can the DCA also control buses and what are the pitfalls?

I am grateful for your assistance.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Re: DCA Details X32

Hello @jjz , welcome to the community.

DCAs do not affect headamp gains. They operate at the point of a channel or bus fader. So they are effectively an additional post-fader control. When a DCA is set to 0dB, the post-fader signal from the channel or bus is unchanged. DCAs can add up to 10dB post-fader gain or attenuation down to infinity.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@jjz 

No, DCA's control the channel strip faders only and has no effect on the gains, etc.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Hello @jjz , welcome to the community.

DCAs do not affect headamp gains. They operate at the point of a channel or bus fader. So they are effectively an additional post-fader control. When a DCA is set to 0dB, the post-fader signal from the channel or bus is unchanged. DCAs can add up to 10dB post-fader gain or attenuation down to infinity.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you @RexBeckett and @Paul_Vannatto ,

So one must be careful to not introduce excessive gain by pushing a DCA too high when you may have already pushed an individual channel up (as for pushing a solo over the mix). I think I have seen this with overdriven busses after carefully building a gain structure.  

Thank you again.

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@jjz wrote:

So one must be careful to not introduce excessive gain by pushing a DCA too high when you may have already pushed an individual channel up (as for pushing a solo over the mix). I think I have seen this with overdriven busses after carefully building a gain structure.  

I think you have misunderstood our explanation. DCA's have no effect on input gains - none whatsoever. Also if you have channel sends to busses tapped pre fader (not post fader or subgroup), the DCA's will have no effect on those sends - none. DCA's are only remote-control-like controls of the channel faders.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@jjz wrote:

Thank you @RexBeckett and @Paul_Vannatto ,

Thank you again.

@jjz 

Yes. Care with gains is always a good idea. Nothing in the internal processing can be overdriven, though. Clipping can only happen at the inputs and outputs - where conversion between digital and analogue happens. 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2
Contributor - Level 2

@Paul_Vannatto 

Thank you for taking time to make sure I understood.  I did.  If one is pushing a headamp at -12 and then pushing channel fader at +10, then adding another +10 from the DCA function then the resulting software representation of the gain is very high (depending of course on how they are doing the math etc - it is software at this point and not actual electrical gain.

This will result in the buss meters showing clipping, I've done it.  I see that @RexBeckett has pointed that out. 

So when the digital "gain" gets to an output device, a d2a converter or a DAW, the resulting gain feeding that device is capable of being overdriven.  

What I don't know is how the x32 reacts when a digital gain is excessive, such as when too many hot channels are feeding a buss, which is then sent to the mains.  Does the x32 limit it?  Or will audible clipping (digital or analog) occur?

thank you again for your patience and sharing your knowledge.

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@jjz wrote:

@Paul_Vannatto 

What I don't know is how the x32 reacts when a digital gain is excessive, such as when too many hot channels are feeding a buss, which is then sent to the mains.  Does the x32 limit it?  Or will audible clipping (digital or analog) occur?

@jjz 

Left to its own devices, an output will clip at 0dBFS. Pulling down the Bus Master fader will cure it. You can use the dynamics block in each bus as a limiter if you wish.