Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Driver Upgrade for B1800D Pro

Has anyone ever replaced their drivers in this powered sub-woofer with aftermarket?
What were your results?

Will an 8 ohm speaker work since this says it is a 6 ohm speaker?
I know I may loose some maximum output due to a higher ohm rating, but if the speaker is also more sensitive...

My hopes are, that if I have to replace them, if I use a more efficient or sensitive driver (more db at 1 watt), that I will get a louder punchier cabinet. (Way bigger magnet structures, frame, etc.)

I don't want to replace the cabinets, I want to make the ones I have better!

I have looked all over the internet and can't find any mention of anyone doing this with this cabinet.

Thanks,
JeffSloan Contributor - Level 2 2015-05-15

2015-05-15

Driver Upgrade for B1800D Pro

Has anyone ever replaced their drivers in this powered sub-woofer with aftermarket?
What were your results?

Will an 8 ohm speaker work since this says it is a 6 ohm speaker?
I know I may loose some maximum output due to a higher ohm rating, but if the speaker is also more sensitive...

My hopes are, that if I have to replace them, if I use a more efficient or sensitive driver (more db at 1 watt), that I will get a louder punchier cabinet. (Way bigger magnet structures, frame, etc.)

I don't want to replace the cabinets, I want to make the ones I have better!

I have looked all over the internet and can't find any mention of anyone doing this with this cabinet.

Thanks,

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Driver Upgrade for B1800D Pro

A DC resistance of 6 ohms is a normal rating for an 8 ohm speaker, 8 ohms is an inductance rating.

There are lots of numbers to a speaker that can make a huge differance to porting and cabinet size.
Just throwing in a JBL could blow up the driver if no changes are made to the porting at the least.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Contributor - Level 2

I don't pretend to know for sure...but if both are 18 inches, and IF both have the same excursion, wouldn't all else be the same?
What other than size and excursion would dictate differing porting and size of the cabinet?
Super Contributor - Level 1

Jeff,

Welcome to the world of Thiele-Small speaker parameters. This is an attempt -widely used- at unifying speaker parameters for building vented/ported cabinets. the eminence speaker page: http://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/ gives explanations, and there are numerous links and tools on the WWW to help. Starting with checking the T/S parameters for searching a replacement driver is probably a good idea.

-Patrick
Contributor - Level 2

As I read through this, even before I get started good...good luck finding any manufacturer specs that list even a 1/4 of these listed on this site. For instance, the cabinet itself does not even list the sensitivity, only the maximum level...I think I had to find that value by looking up OEM replacement parts on a 3rd party site for this speaker...
Contributor - Level 3

FS - Q - to name a few.

Use a calculator like this. http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/Box/

Find all the specs of the speaker in it now. Parts Express sells a device to read out all those numbers if you can not find them. It is 100 bucks well spent if you are going to find out what will and will not work in your box. Last time I reconed an 18 inch driver it cost about $150.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARRX-tZpg4#t=386

And yes, small changes in any of these numbers can make a big difference. You can go from less output, peaks, and even over excursion due to improper tuning of the box.

The resonance of a speaker and a box are like springs. Get them working together and it is great, get them working against each other and it is frustrating and on occasion, expensive.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Contributor - Level 2

Cool Glenn, but a bit of sarcasm here...
I'm supposed to go out and buy a bunch speakers and put them through this testing, to see which one I may like to buy for my cabinets?
The manufactures or resellers should list all these on their site...
Contributor - Level 3

Jeff - Understood. That is a problem, you could look at some speaker builder sites for the full specs or call a manufactures Tech Support.

Also Parts Express has just about every popular brand. They have full specs listed most of the time.
Check Madisound and MCM also.