Contributor - Level 2

IEM Help Needed For X32 Rack

Hi All,

New user here. I did a search but didn't find an answer to my situation, so...

I have been using my X32 Rack exclusively as an IEM mixer for a few months and it works great. I use it for rehearsals and performances for my rock band. I send 4 mono mixes to Sennheiser IEM transmitters via Mix Bus 1 - 4 (XLR Out 1 - 4) and I use the X32 Edit app on my laptop connected via ethernet to control the IEM mixes. There are no other outputs (ie, no mains or wedges.)

I have a new situation that I need help with. I have a synth coming in on XLR In #3 (Ch 3) and audio from a laptop coming in via USB which is mapped to Ch 24.

I want to be able to mix those 2 sources to achive some level of balance, then for each individual IEM mix, I want to be able to use a single fader/slider to control that mix. So when my guitarist says, "I want more synth in my ears", I simply go to his Mix Bus and adjust the fader/slider for that synth mix to adjust the level for his IEM.

Any help on getting this set up is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

dhla40 Contributor - Level 2 2019-10-07

2019-10-07

IEM Help Needed For X32 Rack

Hi All,

New user here. I did a search but didn't find an answer to my situation, so...

I have been using my X32 Rack exclusively as an IEM mixer for a few months and it works great. I use it for rehearsals and performances for my rock band. I send 4 mono mixes to Sennheiser IEM transmitters via Mix Bus 1 - 4 (XLR Out 1 - 4) and I use the X32 Edit app on my laptop connected via ethernet to control the IEM mixes. There are no other outputs (ie, no mains or wedges.)

I have a new situation that I need help with. I have a synth coming in on XLR In #3 (Ch 3) and audio from a laptop coming in via USB which is mapped to Ch 24.

I want to be able to mix those 2 sources to achive some level of balance, then for each individual IEM mix, I want to be able to use a single fader/slider to control that mix. So when my guitarist says, "I want more synth in my ears", I simply go to his Mix Bus and adjust the fader/slider for that synth mix to adjust the level for his IEM.

Any help on getting this set up is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Contributor - Level 2

Re: IEM Help Needed For X32 Rack

Hi @DaveMorrison ,

I did some more digging yesterday and found a post that had a solution. I posted a reply here, but now it seems to be gone. ??

This is what I did last night and it seems to work. I will know for sure after tonight's rehearsal.

• Send the Synth channel and the Laptop Audio channel to an unused Mix Bus (Mix Bus 5).
  • Use Mix Bus 5 to mix those channels.
  • Find an unused channel (Ch 9) and select MixBus 5 as it's source.
  • In each IEM mix (Mix Bus 1 - 4), set the level of the synth mix (Ch 9)

This does exactly what I want.

Thanks,

--jack

Rising Star - Level 1

Hi @dhla40 

Here a couple of ideas. Most of these involve adding both to a mix bus.

But first, you could use MX-Q, M32-Q, or mixing station and have them turn up their own mix (or you could use them to do it.

1. Use your Matrix. Because the matrix is a way to mix busses together, you could send their monitor and the synth submix (and even LR if you want) to a matrix which can then drive their IEM.

2. If you have a spare channel, you can assign the synth submix to a channel (source re-map).  You can un-assign either the submix or the original channels from the LR bus. 

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Contributor - Level 2

Hi @DaveMorrison ,

I did some more digging yesterday and found a post that had a solution. I posted a reply here, but now it seems to be gone. ??

This is what I did last night and it seems to work. I will know for sure after tonight's rehearsal.

• Send the Synth channel and the Laptop Audio channel to an unused Mix Bus (Mix Bus 5).
  • Use Mix Bus 5 to mix those channels.
  • Find an unused channel (Ch 9) and select MixBus 5 as it's source.
  • In each IEM mix (Mix Bus 1 - 4), set the level of the synth mix (Ch 9)

This does exactly what I want.

Thanks,

--jack