Contributor - Level 3

Jack wiring on Aux in and out

Stupid question as usual from me, I can not find any confirmation anyway but I’m right in saying that the Aux in’s and Out’s are all balanced jacks, ie live/return/screen jacks not unbalanced jacks (except the rca/Phonos obviously)

Mark13 Contributor - Level 3 2019-06-27

2019-06-27

Jack wiring on Aux in and out

Stupid question as usual from me, I can not find any confirmation anyway but I’m right in saying that the Aux in’s and Out’s are all balanced jacks, ie live/return/screen jacks not unbalanced jacks (except the rca/Phonos obviously)

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Jack wiring on Aux in and out

@Mark13 wrote:

That is correct Mark. It is called TRS (tip/ring/sleeve - from the old step-by-step telephone technology). The 1/4" jacks are balanced and the RCA's are unbalanced.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Volunteer Moderator

@Mark13 wrote:

That is correct Mark. It is called TRS (tip/ring/sleeve - from the old step-by-step telephone technology). The 1/4" jacks are balanced and the RCA's are unbalanced.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Contributor - Level 3

Great thank you, I obviously that it was but I watched a YouTube tutorial and the guy used unbalanced connectors which made me ask!

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

It is perfectly acceptable to use unbalanced TS jack plugs for Aux in and outs for short cable connections. The circuitry in the mixer is quite happy being unbalanced. However, of course, you lose the advantages that using balance connections will bring, especially on longer leads.