Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

M32 and iQ12 level drop in Ultranet mode

Hi,

I'm running iQ12s and iQ18s from an M32R.

I'm finding a significant drop in output when using Ultranet as opposed to the analogue XLR inputs on the iQs. Even if I turn the digital trim up it still sounds weak. Too weak to charge a client money for! And at +10 on the digital trim you can hear hiss in the system which completely negates the reason for going digital.

Even with a reference track or pink noise at low levels the difference is substantial so it can't be me clipping/ limiting the signal etc.

I've read a few things in this and other forums but not really sure I understand why (in layman's terms) this is?

I bought iQ's specifically because of the networking capability, and I've spent a small fortune on Cat5/ Powercon looms, so if I can get the rig sounding as loud and punchy with Ultranet as it does running analogue then I'll be a happy man.

Thanks in advance
StevieWyatt Contributor - Level 1 2017-04-13

2017-04-13

M32 and iQ12 level drop in Ultranet mode

Hi,

I'm running iQ12s and iQ18s from an M32R.

I'm finding a significant drop in output when using Ultranet as opposed to the analogue XLR inputs on the iQs. Even if I turn the digital trim up it still sounds weak. Too weak to charge a client money for! And at +10 on the digital trim you can hear hiss in the system which completely negates the reason for going digital.

Even with a reference track or pink noise at low levels the difference is substantial so it can't be me clipping/ limiting the signal etc.

I've read a few things in this and other forums but not really sure I understand why (in layman's terms) this is?

I bought iQ's specifically because of the networking capability, and I've spent a small fortune on Cat5/ Powercon looms, so if I can get the rig sounding as loud and punchy with Ultranet as it does running analogue then I'll be a happy man.

Thanks in advance

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: M32 and iQ12 level drop in Ultranet mode

Bump for same experience with almost the same exact setup (XR18 instead of M32R using Ultranet but same speaker setup). This weekend I used a pair of iX12s for additional side fills plugged into the Main XLR outputs (and mirroring the Ultranet Main outputs to the iQs). It seemed much hotter and I had to bring the input on the iX12s to -6db (while my iQs are already set at +5db) to get them remotely balanced. Seems like a pretty big discrepancy. I have always been struggling to get enough volume out of the iQs using Ultranet, pushing them to +5db did help, but after this week's experience I'm wondering if there is something else going on.
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Steve,

Check you routing to make sure that the same signal assigned to the XLR jack is the same as attached to the respective Ultranet channel, and that the tap is correct.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Vannatto;126815 wrote:
Hi Steve,

Check you routing to make sure that the same signal assigned to the XLR jack is the same as attached to the respective Ultranet channel, and that the tap is correct.

Hi Paul, thanks for the response. Yes the routing appears to be correct. Ultranet 15/16 set to main L/R post fader and Mains set to L/R as well. I am going to try an apples to apples comparison with the pair of iQ12s in a more controlled environment - one set to XLR and the other set to Ultranet using same mirrored channel and with the same exact settings - and will report back.
Contributor - Level 2

Have you checked to see what your trim setting is at on the speaker in your Input screen for Ultranet. Default is -30db. I always set mine to +6 cause there is around a 6bd drop from Local setting to Ultranet, thats what I find usually on my setups.
I have six IQ 10's two Iq12's one 15B and just purchased two Sienna TSP122-AN this week.

Also what version firmware are you on? Should be 1.9
Contributor - Level 2

Ross Costa;126859 wrote:
Have you checked to see what your trim setting is at on the speaker in your Input screen for Ultranet. Default is -30db. I always set mine to +6 cause there is around a 6bd drop from Local setting to Ultranet, thats what I find usually on my setups.
I have six IQ 10's two Iq12's one 15B and just purchased two Sienna TSP122-AN this week.

Also what version firmware are you on? Should be 1.9

I finally was able to set two iQ12s next to each other and compare. I did have Ultranet set to 6db on both speakers (not 5db as previously stated). When comparing one iQ12 using Ultranet set to 0db to my other iQ12 using XLR set to 0db, they were nearly indistinguishable in volume using the same channel output (Main L). So something odd was going on this weekend with the iX12 or maybe it just seemed way louder as a side fill so the level had to come down. I'm also on fw 1.7 but will update before next show.

Curious how the TSP122-AN compares to the iQ12. Is it louder and project farther and/or does it sound better? More specifically, I am wondering if moving to the TSP122-AN would be considered an upgrade or if they are similar enough to not really notice a difference. I would love an extra 3-4db of headroom over the iQ12 for mains (and bump the iQ12s to monitors), but have read that the TSP122-AN has some frequency peaks compared to the iQ12 so I have been hesitant to make the jump.
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Curious how the TSP122-AN compares to the iQ12. Is it louder and project farther and/or does it sound better? More specifically, I am wondering if moving to the TSP122-AN would be considered an upgrade or if they are similar enough to not really notice a difference.

I only had a chance to use the TSP once this week since my last two shows have been cancelled do to weather. But as far as the difference to the IQ I feel its well worth it. They have a thicker sound to them the mid to high mids are much tighter. They are louder or maybe just fuller but I need to run some real test when I get a chance. I also have a pair of old TXD 151 that I use as top boxes some times and the TSP 122 sounded better and have more headroom.
The TSP has a titanium dome 1" high frequency compression driver where the Iq has a 1" compression driver with copper-clad aluminium voice coil

The one draw back is NO Powercon Out which isn't a killer but it does add cabling to my setup.