Regular Contributor - Level 1

Mac or Windows?

Okay all.

Next question in our journey from an analog board to an M32.

We want to have a computer beside the M32 for additional control views and multi-trac recording/playback.

Can anyone provide reasoned opinions on why that computer should be a Mac or Windows machine?

Thx in advance for your assistance.

Dwayne A.

DwayneAasberg Regular Contributor - Level 1 2019-05-26

2019-05-26

Mac or Windows?

Okay all.

Next question in our journey from an analog board to an M32.

We want to have a computer beside the M32 for additional control views and multi-trac recording/playback.

Can anyone provide reasoned opinions on why that computer should be a Mac or Windows machine?

Thx in advance for your assistance.

Dwayne A.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Rising Star - Level 1

Re: Mac or Windows?

@DwayneAasberg 

Any recent hardware can record/playback all the channels. You may even be able to do it all on an iPad or Raspberry Pi. The best computer is the one you already have. Desktop or Laptop? 

Volunteer Moderator

@DwayneAasberg wrote:

Paul - your reply wasn't clear... where do you see a premium for limited value?

Sorry Dwayne, that was a bit cryptic. I was referring to Apple devices, including Macs. I use good quality, but used PC's and android tablets and can stretch the pennies just a bit more. I do agree with what @DaveMorrison said about using whatever you currently have available. 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Volunteer Moderator

@DwayneAasberg wrote:

The term "reasoned opinion" may be debatable  but I'll give my 2 nickels. 

* If you have a reasonable amount of dutch and/or scottish blood (as I have), it becomes quite difficult to pay the premium for something that doesn't provide that much extra IMO.

* The one main advantage of the Mac over a PC is the core-compliant multi-tracking recording interface of the various recording cards (X-USB, X-Live, etc.), rather than relying on the USB drivers for the PC. 

* There are more 3rd party apps (by Patrick) for the PC than there are for the Mac (mine are available for both).

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Rising Star - Level 1

@DwayneAasberg 

I use both but when I want to work I usually choose my Mac. It depend on the software—I had a professor tell me "Pick your software, then the Hardware". With Pro Tools, Cubase, Ableton, Digital Performer, Reaper are generally similar on both systems, with Reaper being the best value. Logic Pro X is Mac only, is reasonablly priced and has cost Zero dollars to upgrade over the last six years. 

Look at software and (equal) hardware cost plus your time and resale value to find what is right for you.

Thanks Paul & Dave.  Your comments align to what I thought I knew, that being 'it depends'.

Is the USB track recording-playback limited in any way?  We have no immediate plans to install a card different than the default USB.  The board's primary purpose will be FOH in a church sanctuary.  Occasionally, maybe half dozen times per year, we will want to record an event for offsite processing, or playback a particular band as a training session.  It is unlikely the 'paired' computer will be used as a production DAW.

Does this alter either of you comments?

Thx.  D

Rising Star - Level 1

@DwayneAasberg 

Any recent hardware can record/playback all the channels. You may even be able to do it all on an iPad or Raspberry Pi. The best computer is the one you already have. Desktop or Laptop? 

Volunteer Moderator

@DwayneAasberg wrote:

Sorry Dwayne, that was a bit cryptic. I was referring to Apple devices, including Macs. I use good quality, but used PC's and android tablets and can stretch the pennies just a bit more. I do agree with what @DaveMorrison said about using whatever you currently have available. 

Highlighted

Again, thank you for your time.

Dwayne A.

Contributor - Level 3

Sorry, bit late to the party - but if it's still up for debate:

I have mostly Macs, but also have owned, used and dealt with PC's for a long time. 

I prefer macs although I tend to buy them a few years older and only buy new in special circumstances. 

I have found that PC's are less expensive in the first place but tend to have a higher cost of ownership. From having to purchase Norton or other security (yes Macs can and do get viruses but I have a free antivirus that is very good and almost never bothers me because of issues anyways) to getting them fixed less often (yes there are bombproof PC's but they are actually far rarer than one would imagine) to the time to deal with issues like ASIO drivers and networking issues and all the other issues I've had to deal with. Time is money, Macs save me time and therefore money.

And be aware that a PC that actually has similar performance in all regards to a Mac, typically cost as much as a Mac.  That's why there are PC's that cost several thousand.

Plus resale is always higher with macs and they tend to just last longer. Turnover on PCs is usually quite short, but my Macs typically give me great performance for over a decade each. 

Some people hate the 'closed architecture' of Macs, and if you're a power user/programmer than enjoys getting into the guts of a computer - awesome, have fun. I'm not one of those, so I like a closed architecture that just works. May not be the absolute most awesome best, but I rarely have to deal with stuff I've dealt with on PCs. When I do have issues its almost always something designed for PC and then adapted to Mac.

But that being said - some people don't like the psychology of Macs and how they are organized. I get that. And if you are really technically inclined, you can build a pretty robust PC for a bit less than a Mac. Except, last time I priced out a 'build it' PC with the specs I wanted, it was still cheaper to buy the 6 core i5 Mac Mini that is currently in my studio.