Contributor - Level 3

Minimum screen size for X-Air?

We are considering purchasing an XR18 and a suitable touch-screen device to control it using the X-Air app. What would be the minimum workable screen size, and is this influenced by whether the device is iPad, Android or PC? For our requirements, I'm happy to see just 8 faders at a time, as long as I can scroll or switch to the other 8. Any recommendations regarding a 2-in-1 laptop vs something like a Samsung Galaxy tablet?

MikeDaniell Contributor - Level 3 2019-08-24

2019-08-24

Minimum screen size for X-Air?

We are considering purchasing an XR18 and a suitable touch-screen device to control it using the X-Air app. What would be the minimum workable screen size, and is this influenced by whether the device is iPad, Android or PC? For our requirements, I'm happy to see just 8 faders at a time, as long as I can scroll or switch to the other 8. Any recommendations regarding a 2-in-1 laptop vs something like a Samsung Galaxy tablet?

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Minimum screen size for X-Air?

@RexBeckett and @KenMitchell 

Thanks for your advice. I'll be recommending an Android 10" tablet.

Super Contributor - Level 2

@MikeDaniell 

I would say that for XAir Edit on a Windows PC you need at least 1200 horizontal pixels and 768 vertical. Some users have found problems with touch-screen control of XAir Edit on WIndows tablets so a mouse is recommended.

On an Android tablet, using Mixing Station XAir, almost any resolution would work and touch-screen control is excellent. Mixing Station Pro also allows the layout to be customized to make best use of the display area. I run this on both 7" and 10" Android tablets. I prefer the larger tablet when mixing all channels. 

Valued Contributor - Level 1

@MikeDaniell 

I've tested X-Air Edit with a Lenovo Yoga 720 2-in-1 and found it to be "glitchy" at best. Faders wouldn't move and then suddenly jump and sometimes I'd have to tap a button two even three times to get it to activate. Not good for things like Mute that are toggles. 

I second Rex's recommendation of Mixing Station Pro and a customized layout. iPad or Android should be fine but Android tablets have a tendency to be a bit cheaper and since tablets have a habit of wandering off, I'd start with something cheaper. 

I think screen size depends on the user's vision (and age) so for me a 10" tablet is the minimum.  My daily studio tablet is a Samsumg Galaxy View 18.2" @ 1080p resolution.  I bought it as a deeply discounted demo unit but I wouldn't recommend it at full retail.  Something else to look at is if the tablet supports OTG (on-the-go) which allows you to connect USB devices to the tablet.  I have a Plugable (with one "g") micro-usb to Ethernet adapter that lets me hardwire my tablet so no WiFi issues ever.

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 3

Super Contributor - Level 2

@MikeDaniell wrote:

@MikeDaniell 

That's a good decision, Mike. Mixing Station XAir Pro on a 10" Android tablet is a brilliant mixing tool. If you spend a few minutes exploring the app's custom layer & layout features, you can tailor it to suit your needs. The Mixing Station manual should get you started.