Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Power sequencing with Midas I/O units

I've got some Midas stage boxes in a rack backstage and would love to make it easier to turn the whole rack on and off with a power sequencer. The units would be turned on and off by cutting or supplying power to the units instead of using the power switches. The units are a Midas Neutron, DL251, and DL451.

Does anyone have expierience or insight on the possible effects of switching power to these devices this way? I just dont want to damage the units if that is a possiblility.

What_The_Tech Contributor - Level 1 2019-10-31

2019-10-31

Power sequencing with Midas I/O units

I've got some Midas stage boxes in a rack backstage and would love to make it easier to turn the whole rack on and off with a power sequencer. The units would be turned on and off by cutting or supplying power to the units instead of using the power switches. The units are a Midas Neutron, DL251, and DL451.

Does anyone have expierience or insight on the possible effects of switching power to these devices this way? I just dont want to damage the units if that is a possiblility.

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: Power sequencing with Midas I/O units

I can't speak to your specific Midas units but we use a power sequencer at the club where i do 90% of my shows and it's been in place there for at least 7 years, since it opened-more like 9 years. Anyway it has powered everything in the audio chain without causing any hardware harm, 1000 + shows. I will say (I can't recall the specific model-I don't really look closely at it, just turn its key-but will look if you want. It's a brand name, not a cheap unit) every once in a while the power down sequence screws up-it's done by turning a key-and everything just shuts down all at once instead of as programed. I would say that happens once every 100 times or less. My point is, even with that happening occasionally-no hardware has been hurt ever there-so I think you would be safe.

Rising Star - Level 3

Hi @What_The_Tech , 

Welcome to the community.  The general rule is mixers/consoles, followed by I/O boxes, and finally amps or Powered PA.  Reverse the order when powering down.  At a minimum, shutdown the PA before the I/O boxes and mixers. 

In your case, the Nuetron, followed by the DLs, followed by the PA. 

Here's a link to the one I use routinely. Note it is not a power conditioner. In our case, that's done with a sepeatre box. https://dlidirect.com/products/new-updated-rack-pdu-with-wifi

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Triber Contributor

Hi @What_The_Tech 

As long as you still follow the console shut down procedure it won't be a problem at all. 

Chase McKnight | Solutions Manager, Music Tribe If you found my post helpful, go ahead and give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Contributor - Level 1

@ChaseMcKnight 

Just to confirm, you're saying it won't hurt anything to switch the units on and off by cutting power to the devices using a surge protector instead of the switches themselves?