Contributor - Level 1

Powerplay P2 input directly from piezo pickup?

Hello! Can I connect an output of my piezo (double bass) pickup directly into an input of Powerplay P2 to hear my instrument amplified in my earphones or do I need additional preamp for this?

TommyLeeGun Contributor - Level 1 2019-07-21

2019-07-21

Powerplay P2 input directly from piezo pickup?

Hello! Can I connect an output of my piezo (double bass) pickup directly into an input of Powerplay P2 to hear my instrument amplified in my earphones or do I need additional preamp for this?

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Powerplay P2 input directly from piezo pickup?

@TommyLeeGun 

Hi Tommy Lee, welcome to the forum.

The P2 input is not suitable for direct connection of a piezo pickup. A passive piezo pickup needs a very high impedance input (typically 5-10 MOhms) and more amplification than is available in the P2. You would need to use a separate preamp - designed for use with piezo pickups. 

Contributor - Level 1

Thanks a lot for a comprehensive reply! Can you please recommend a device that I can use for direct monitoring in my case? It should be compact (attachable to a strap) and battery powered.

Super Contributor - Level 2

@TommyLeeGun 

I don't know of any one-box piezo preamps with monitor outputs. You could use something like Fishman Platinum Stage and feed the 1/4" Amp output to a P2. I haven't tried it myself.

I usually feed piezo pickups to a mixer through a Radial StageBug SB-4 DI box and send line-level monitor mixes back to P2s. This works well but it sounds as though you need a more-portable solution.