Contributor - Level 3

QUICK HELP!

I am a total novice who has been given a task I know nothing about so please forgive my stupidity! I have to set up a stage for a performance night. I have 4 speakers with just cable wires coming out no connections. I have a "musysic MU-PM8C 8 channel power stereo mixer" and I have a Behringer super-x pro CX2310. what is the order of connectivity here? 

What I understand is that I plug my microphones and instruments into the mixer and then use the "Main Out" from the mixer (see images) to plug into the super-x pro CX2310 and plug the stage speakers into the super-x pro CX2310. 

Am I correct to use the 2x "main out" of the mixer to connect to the 2x inputs of the super-x pro cx2310 via a cable that is one end TRS and other end is a male XLR?

I do not have any subs or anything fancy just 4 very stock standard speakers with wires coming out old school style! IF I connect female XLR plugs to the speaker cable to connect it to the super-x pro CX2310 would I plug speaker 1&2 (left side of stage) into (see diagram attached) no1- high/high, no2 mid/low and speaker 3&4 into the opposite "not used/high" and "low/low" without numbers in the diagram?

Please help me. I am way over my head here!

Thank you in advance......

IMG_4925.JPGIMG_4926.JPGsuper-x pro cx2310.jpg

LeanneSmith Contributor - Level 3 2019-11-07

2019-11-07

QUICK HELP!

I am a total novice who has been given a task I know nothing about so please forgive my stupidity! I have to set up a stage for a performance night. I have 4 speakers with just cable wires coming out no connections. I have a "musysic MU-PM8C 8 channel power stereo mixer" and I have a Behringer super-x pro CX2310. what is the order of connectivity here? 

What I understand is that I plug my microphones and instruments into the mixer and then use the "Main Out" from the mixer (see images) to plug into the super-x pro CX2310 and plug the stage speakers into the super-x pro CX2310. 

Am I correct to use the 2x "main out" of the mixer to connect to the 2x inputs of the super-x pro cx2310 via a cable that is one end TRS and other end is a male XLR?

I do not have any subs or anything fancy just 4 very stock standard speakers with wires coming out old school style! IF I connect female XLR plugs to the speaker cable to connect it to the super-x pro CX2310 would I plug speaker 1&2 (left side of stage) into (see diagram attached) no1- high/high, no2 mid/low and speaker 3&4 into the opposite "not used/high" and "low/low" without numbers in the diagram?

Please help me. I am way over my head here!

Thank you in advance......

IMG_4925.JPGIMG_4926.JPGsuper-x pro cx2310.jpg

• 0 Kudos
  • 12 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: QUICK HELP!

Hi @LeanneSmith ), 

What's the make/model of the speakers.  Since the mixer is a powered mixer (as in built-in power amp) I'd suggest you not use the CX2310, assuming your speakers are full range.  The 2310 is an external crossover and will only add complexity since you aren't using a subwoofer and descrete mid/high range speakers. 

Before hooking anything up, we need to know the specs on the speakers to make sure you don't blow them with the powered mixer. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Ken 

Dude thank you for responding so fast! The speakers that I have are nothing fancy, just 4x white outdoor speakers called “Bass Face SPLBOX3” You can see them here: https://www.bassfacecaraudio.co.uk/product/splbox3w-8ohm-waterproof-mini-box-speaker-pair-300w-rms-w... 

The person whom was supposed to rig this up went to hospital and I dont wish to bother him at all. I know his idea is that using the super-x pro will divide the signals to these speakers to help us not overload them with too much signal. 

OK. Let me download the specs and figure out the best hookup options. 

I'll be in touch shortly. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

@LeanneSmith . 

Hi Leanne, 

I can't seem to find the manual for that mixer but I can tell you for sure that you don't want to use the CX2310.  That unit is a line level crossover so you would need a power amp after the crossover and before the speakers.  The mixer has a power amp for the speakers but as I said I can't seem to find a manual for it. 

Still looking for a manual for the mixer. 

Ken

Hi @LeanneSmith ,

Can you send me a picture of the wiring connectors on one of the speakers?  I think the safest thing to do is to wire two speakers in series so they present 16 ohms to the power amp. So you'd have two speakers wired in series for the left and two for the right.   Once I see the connectors on the speakers I'll be able to give you the exact details. 

Ken

Contributor - Level 3

Hi Ken,

I am sure that I already know (that these speakers are rubish for what I am trying to do!) but I have attached a photo of the back of the speakers I am using. My plan is to have 4x cables made. They will be female XLR on one end and just wire on the other to connect to the 4 speakers (2x left, 2x right) that I have. My biggest question now is will the super pro crossover power these speakers becasue they are not powered? 

Feels like such a mess and I really appreciate your patients and help! Thank you! Smiley Happy 

Hi @LeanneSmith , 

No, the crossover cannot power those speakers but the mixer itself can.  However, there are only 2x speaker connections on the mixer, one for left and one for right. The connectors on the mixer are what are called "speakon" or "speaker twist" connectors, not XLR. The only issue is the mixer has too much power for those speakers.  We can workaround that by wiring two speakers in series to each side so the load is 16 ohms instead of 8 ohms.  

Your custom cables will need to connect the positive side of the speakon connector to the red post of the first speaker and the negative side of the speakon to the black post of the second speaker. You'll then need a length of wire to connect the black post of the first speaker to the red post of the second speaker.  From the picture, the speakers look like they have banana plugs so that's what I would use on the speaker ends instead of just bare wires. 

Just about anyone who can make custom XLR cables should be able to make the cables you need based on what I've described. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

Contributor - Level 3

Thank you Ken!

I am slowly wrapping my brain around what you are saying! If you can draw me a diagram it would help my non audio brain get it!

I want to check that you are saying the crossover is not going to work with the set up I have or can you suggest a way for me to connect it to this set up your'e suggesting? IF it's a no go please explain to me why so I can explain it to my superiors with clarity.

Thank you so much!

Hi @LeanneSmith ,

Here's a diagram of the speaker wiring. You'll need one setup for left and one for right.  

A crossover goes between a mixer and the power amps that amplify the sound going to the speakers.  A crossover itself is not designed to amplify the sound going to the speakers.  In your setup, the mixer you are using has a built-in power amplifier so you can connect the speakers directly to the mixer.  You cannot use the crossover in your setup without purchasing an additional power ampplifer to go after it in the chain. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken