Contributor - Level 2

Routing multiple x32 and a s16

Maybe  you guys can help me with a question. reason for this question is that I think the following setup would be possible, but I need to know for sure before getting in to it and go testing.

Right now we have a x32 as FOH mixer and it runs a AES50 cable to the stage with one S16. there is also running a small analog stagebox to the stage, because that was already there before the X32 came and is used for the mic for the preacher and other people who speak on the podium. 
Is it possible to add a X32 rack to the mix, use the s16 as an extension to the rack (so that I still have 32/16 available, 16/8 from the Rack and 16/8 from the S16).  and then use the AES50 to run all signals to FOH?
THe main point of the question is the extension part. DOes the Rack version has the possibility to see the channels of the 16 as "input 17/32 and output 9/16" and then rout all 32/16 to the FOH with one AES50?
My guess would be that it is. 
So the routing on the Rack would be:
RACK:
IN: CH 1-16 : Analog 1-16
     CH  17-32: AES 50/A 1-16 on the S16
     OUT 1-8: Analog 1-8
    OUT 9-16: AES 50/A 1-8 on the S16
FOH X32: 
AES 50/B:
     CH 1-32: AES50/B 1-32
    OUT 1-16: AES50/B 1-16

That would be the basic routing, but I have to be able to rout individual output channels on the FOH to Analog OUT on the FOH, because  our infrastructure has some cables for Broadcast and overflow rooms lying at the FOH desk. 

Is this a possible setup?

Thieson Contributor - Level 2 2019-05-15

2019-05-15

Routing multiple x32 and a s16

Maybe  you guys can help me with a question. reason for this question is that I think the following setup would be possible, but I need to know for sure before getting in to it and go testing.

Right now we have a x32 as FOH mixer and it runs a AES50 cable to the stage with one S16. there is also running a small analog stagebox to the stage, because that was already there before the X32 came and is used for the mic for the preacher and other people who speak on the podium. 
Is it possible to add a X32 rack to the mix, use the s16 as an extension to the rack (so that I still have 32/16 available, 16/8 from the Rack and 16/8 from the S16).  and then use the AES50 to run all signals to FOH?
THe main point of the question is the extension part. DOes the Rack version has the possibility to see the channels of the 16 as "input 17/32 and output 9/16" and then rout all 32/16 to the FOH with one AES50?
My guess would be that it is. 
So the routing on the Rack would be:
RACK:
IN: CH 1-16 : Analog 1-16
     CH  17-32: AES 50/A 1-16 on the S16
     OUT 1-8: Analog 1-8
    OUT 9-16: AES 50/A 1-8 on the S16
FOH X32: 
AES 50/B:
     CH 1-32: AES50/B 1-32
    OUT 1-16: AES50/B 1-16

That would be the basic routing, but I have to be able to rout individual output channels on the FOH to Analog OUT on the FOH, because  our infrastructure has some cables for Broadcast and overflow rooms lying at the FOH desk. 

Is this a possible setup?

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Routing multiple x32 and a s16

Hi @Thieson , welcome to the community.

Yes you can use the S16 to extend the inputs and outputs of the X32 Rack. It works much as you have shown in your routing ideas although I would connect AES50-A of the FOH to AES50-B of the X32 Rack. The missing part is routing the local + S16 inputs on the X32 Rack to AES50-B to go to the FOH and also routing the AES50-B outputs from FOH to the Rack local XLR and AES50-A for the S16.

In this configuration, the X32 Rack would have control of the S16 preamp gains as well as its own inputs. The X32 Rack should be set to Internal sync and the FOH to AES50-A sync.

Contributor - Level 2

Thanx for the input.

So when in X32 edit it would look something like this?
(The routing menu always gives me headaches!!! Smiley Happy)

The input setup of the Rack:

Schermafbeelding 2019-05-15 om 11.13.37.png
The output of the Rack:
Schermafbeelding 2019-05-15 om 11.13.52.png

And the input of the X32:
Schermafbeelding 2019-05-15 om 11.14.20.png

Contributor - Level 2

Then the only question that remains is:
In the current setup (which has only the FOH mixer routed partially to the S16)
I use 2 outputs of the S16 as outputs for the FOH speakers. In the new setup:
can I maintain that setup? So the FOH controls the main outs and sends them back over the same single AES50 cable to 2 outputs of the s16? 
Or is it better to get 2 new analog cables as return back to the stage and seperate the Rack + S16 completely from the X32 when it comes to physical output?

@Thieson 

Yes that routing looks good. See below for additional routing for FOH outputs.

@Thieson wrote:

Then the only question that remains is:
In the current setup (which has only the FOH mixer routed partially to the S16)
I use 2 outputs of the S16 as outputs for the FOH speakers. In the new setup:
can I maintain that setup? So the FOH controls the main outs and sends them back over the same single AES50 cable to 2 outputs of the s16? 
Or is it better to get 2 new analog cables as return back to the stage and seperate the Rack + S16 completely from the X32 when it comes to physical output?

@Thieson 

On the FOH Routing -> Output 1-16 tab you can set the source for each of the output channels - which can include the Main LR mix. On the FOH  Routing -> AES50 A/B tab you can route the 16 outputs to AES50/A 1-16

On the X32 Rack Routing -> XLR Output tab you can select the source of the eight local XLR outputs from the AES 50/B (from FOH). On the X32 Rack Routing -> AES50 A/B tab you can route the remaining AES 50/B outputs from FOH to AES 50/A for the S16. 

So there should be no need for analogue cables in this case.

Edit: Are you planning to use the X32 Rack to mix monitor feeds to the local outputs and/or S16? This may require slightly different output routing - depending on how many monitor feeds you need. In this case it would be better to route the FOH Main LR via outputs 1 & 2 (or 9 & 10) to AES 50A 1/2. Then on the X32 Rack, use the Auxin Remap feature to route AES 50B1/2 to Aux in 1/2 and then select Direct Out Aux 1/2 for two of the output channels. This is required because AES 50 patching can only be blocks of eight.

Contributor - Level 2

To your last question:
Yes, I would like to use both the local outs from the rack and the s16 (minus the two outputs used for the mains) for monitors.
What I had in mind is to be able to make 7 stereo monitor mixes from the Rack/S16 and having 2 FX buses on the rack to be able to mix some FX if needed to the monitormixes. 
FYI: in the current situation, our FOH mixer uses 6 analog outputs for broadcast (2x), Overflow (2x) and induction loop (1x) (I don't know if thats the right term (being dutch and all), but what I mean is the system that is used for hearing aids) and for a mono FOH speaker system which seperates regular speach from music (for which I use the 2 outputs to the AES).  
Maybe that changes the situation?

Highlighted

@Thieson wrote:

To your last question:
Yes, I would like to use both the local outs from the rack and the s16 (minus the two outputs used for the mains) for monitors.
What I had in mind is to be able to make 7 stereo monitor mixes from the Rack/S16 and having 2 FX buses on the rack to be able to mix some FX if needed to the monitormixes. 
FYI: in the current situation, our FOH mixer uses 6 analog outputs for broadcast (2x), Overflow (2x) and induction loop (1x) (I don't know if thats the right term (being dutch and all), but what I mean is the system that is used for hearing aids) and for a mono FOH speaker system which seperates regular speach from music (for which I use the 2 outputs to the AES).  
Maybe that changes the situation?

@Thieson 

I modified the question to include the answer but I'll put it here too.

Route the FOH Main LR via outputs 1 & 2 (or 9 & 10) to AES 50A 1/2. Then on the X32 Rack, use the Auxin Remap feature to route AES 50B1/2 to Aux in 1/2 and then select Direct Out Aux 1/2 for two of the output channels. This is required because AES 50 patching can only be blocks of eight.

There should be no problem using the existing six outputs on the FOH desk.  Induction Loop still works in English although it is now often callled an HOH (Hard of Hearing) system.

Contributor - Level 2

Hey, that's great information!!!!
I didn't know that remap function, thats a great way to do this.

Thanx a lot!!! It reassures me to know that my preferred setup will work!

Contributor - Level 2

That's my system right now.

1972 Les Paul Custom, PRS CE 24, Taylor 314CE Acoustic. Marshall TSL 100, G System (3.50) in 4 wire setup...quiet as a churchmouse! And X2 Digital Wirless...da best...no high end loss at all no matter how far you go...I've yet to play a room that's bigger than the effective range of this wireless.