Contributor - Level 3

Usb stick playback / recording

Since the update 3.11 i can't playback mp3 files or wav files on my M32r / X32p / X32.
I hoped it was solved since the last firmware update 4.01 but it's still the same problem.

When recording to the stick in firmware 4.01 you can only choose left or right (otherwise no rec. signal) and on the meters you only get signal on the right channel meter, by playback you get mono on L and R out.

I tried different usb sticks, fat16 and fat32 format, sticks works everywere fine except in my 3 consoles.

Is this my fault or is this a problem in the console(s) by the firmware?

BoivandenHoogen Contributor - Level 3 2020-01-13

2020-01-13

Usb stick playback / recording

Since the update 3.11 i can't playback mp3 files or wav files on my M32r / X32p / X32.
I hoped it was solved since the last firmware update 4.01 but it's still the same problem.

When recording to the stick in firmware 4.01 you can only choose left or right (otherwise no rec. signal) and on the meters you only get signal on the right channel meter, by playback you get mono on L and R out.

I tried different usb sticks, fat16 and fat32 format, sticks works everywere fine except in my 3 consoles.

Is this my fault or is this a problem in the console(s) by the firmware?

• 0 Kudos
  • 13 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Usb stick playback / recording

@BoivandenHoogen 

Hello Boi, USB record and play should work on V3.11 and V4.01. To play, the files must be 16 bit stereo wav at the same sample rate as the console. The USB stick should be FAT32 format and USB 2.0. If formatting with a Mac, choose the bootable FAT32 format. Some people have found it necessary to use different makes/models of USB sticks to avoid dropouts during recording. I find SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0 work well.

Some of your problems could be due to routing issues. Check that Aux 7/8 are assigned and panned correctly for playback. Check the recording source selection for the USB recorder. 

Rising Star - Level 2

@BoivandenHoogen  I just quickly checked (I seldom use the usb stick to record) and wanted to be sure mine was still working in 4.01. I had no problem playing back or recording. Using an M32R BTW. When I first checked, files previously recorded did not play until I switched to 44k as that is how those particular files were recorded. I then recordrd a bit using the X-Live play to usb stick record and it did so without a problem, in stereo. 

Contributor - Level 3

Thanks, consoles were on 48Khz, put it on 44,1Khz but the problem is still there. Format the stick to fat32 and copied mp3 files on it.(files works anywhere perfect) But still i can't see any file on x32-d.jpgthe usb stick.

Rising Star - Level 2

@BoivandenHoogen I'm not sure but I don't think mp3 files are supported, only wav, could be wrong. At least that used to be the case.

Super Contributor - Level 2

@GaryHiggins wrote:

@BoivandenHoogen I'm not sure but I don't think mp3 files are supported, only wav, could be wrong.

@GaryHiggins @BoivandenHoogen 

You are not wrong, Gary. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the USB Player only works with 16bit stereo wav files.

Contributor - Level 3

No recording only in wav, playback wav and mp3.

But just found out that all my mp3 files are in CD-quality(24bit) so i have to convert them all to 16bit.

Thanks

Rising Star - Level 2

@BoivandenHoogen I never heard that it could play actual mp3 files, they first need conversion to wav files. I have not seen otherwise.

Volunteer Moderator

I haven't heard this either @GaryHiggins , but am checking with the developers.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Rising Star - Level 2

@Paul_Vannatto @RexBeckett @BoivandenHoogen I just tried it with several different Mp 3 files on my M32R and it did not work, converted the exact same files to .wav and they all played...so I still think MP3's do NOT record or play. Will await the official response however-would be very cool if they did as you could fit a zillion songs on a usb stick.