Contributor - Level 3

Using the xr18 for an Ambisonic/Multi-channel sound system

I have an 8 speaker rig that I want to run as an ambisonic system.  The speakers surround the listener similar to this: 

m11_array1.jpg

Each speaker receives a discreet audio signal.  I want to know if the xr18 is capable of running this?

I know I can route 8 separate channels from the computer/usb to the 8 Aux/Main outputs.  I want to know if the xr18 is capable of handling all of that processing at  high quality without choking. Thanks.

Jschwa Contributor - Level 3 2019-10-30

2019-10-30

Using the xr18 for an Ambisonic/Multi-channel sound system

I have an 8 speaker rig that I want to run as an ambisonic system.  The speakers surround the listener similar to this: 

m11_array1.jpg

Each speaker receives a discreet audio signal.  I want to know if the xr18 is capable of running this?

I know I can route 8 separate channels from the computer/usb to the 8 Aux/Main outputs.  I want to know if the xr18 is capable of handling all of that processing at  high quality without choking. Thanks.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Rising Star - Level 2

Re: Using the xr18 for an Ambisonic/Multi-channel sound system

@Jschwa 

Yes, It's a professional mixer designed to mix 18 inputs and output the Stereo Bus and 6 Auxouts all with full dynamics and 4 multimode EQs on every channel under the hot sun day in and day out all with great quality. 

Valued Contributor - Level 2

@Jschwa @DaveMorrison Plus 1 to that! These sound great and will take the abuse with no complaints. As an aside, you might want to spend a few (250) more $ and get the MR18 which has Midas Pro level mic pre's, an improved output stage and a full 10 year warranty, firmware, bells and whistles identical otherwise.

Hi Jason ( @Jschwa ), 

Welcome to the community.   A year or so ago I did a 5.1 surround setup for a local theatre group with an XR18 and it worked fine.  All of the sound effects were pre-made and exported as six individual stem tracks.  They were played back using Reaper and the performers vocals were mixed live into the Main L/R/C channels depending upon their position on the stage.  As @DaveMorrison  and @GaryHiggins have already said, it's a great mixer and yes, the MR18 is even better. 

Feel free to ask questions as you get set up. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 3

Amazing thank you tall for this info

Contributor - Level 3

@GaryHiggins  All my audio is coming from a computer usb.  Given that, is there any reason to get the MR18 since i'm not taking advantage of the mic pre's?

Contributor - Level 3

@KenMitchell Is there a way to route discreet audio to the L/R mains?  For example channel 7 would go to the left main and channel 8 to the right?  I can do this with the Aux ourts but the mains seem to be tied together. 

@Jschwa - I personally don't see a need for the MR18 in your application.  Main LR is a stereo bus but all that means is that the signal processing is applied to both sides together.  If you are using USB Return 7 for Channel 7 input, just pan it hard Left so that it only goes to Main L.  Do the same for USB Return 8 for Channel 8 except pan it hard Right so that it only goes to Main R. 

EDIT:  In thinking about it more, the 10 year vs. 3 year warranty is wiorth considering the MR-18. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver