Contributor - Level 1

Venice 240 question - connecting 2 sets of speakers - best way?

Hi! Detailed but hopefully easy question for someone who knows more than me...

We are a nonprofit improv theater and just received a donated Venice 240 board! Very excited, and I have set it up where it's working well. EXCEPT...

(Discalimer: I know a good amount about sound boards and tech setup, but I'm definitely not an expert. 30 years in the film/video business, but not as a sound tech.)

WHAT WE NEED: I have two sets of speakers (front & rear of house) that this board is supplying. I have stage mics that I want to feed only to the rear. And we have multiple music sources used during the show. I've gotten all the inputs setup great, BUT my output setup has limitations, and I know there must be a better way. 

Current output has rear house speakers coming from the MASTER output, and the front house speakers coming from the AUX outputs. Using it this way, I can't seem to bypass the aux speakers so I can use the headphones to cue up a song. Easy to just unpress the MAS button on the needed channel to bypass the master one, but I'd have to separately turn down the 2 aux input levels to do the same on the front speakers, and that's not a good option.

So my question to anyone who's kind enough to have read this far with more knowledge than myself: What's a better way to connect both sets of speakers so I don't run into this issue? 

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

davegau Contributor - Level 1 2019-12-10

2019-12-10

Venice 240 question - connecting 2 sets of speakers - best way?

Hi! Detailed but hopefully easy question for someone who knows more than me...

We are a nonprofit improv theater and just received a donated Venice 240 board! Very excited, and I have set it up where it's working well. EXCEPT...

(Discalimer: I know a good amount about sound boards and tech setup, but I'm definitely not an expert. 30 years in the film/video business, but not as a sound tech.)

WHAT WE NEED: I have two sets of speakers (front & rear of house) that this board is supplying. I have stage mics that I want to feed only to the rear. And we have multiple music sources used during the show. I've gotten all the inputs setup great, BUT my output setup has limitations, and I know there must be a better way. 

Current output has rear house speakers coming from the MASTER output, and the front house speakers coming from the AUX outputs. Using it this way, I can't seem to bypass the aux speakers so I can use the headphones to cue up a song. Easy to just unpress the MAS button on the needed channel to bypass the master one, but I'd have to separately turn down the 2 aux input levels to do the same on the front speakers, and that's not a good option.

So my question to anyone who's kind enough to have read this far with more knowledge than myself: What's a better way to connect both sets of speakers so I don't run into this issue? 

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Triber Contributor

Re: Venice 240 question - connecting 2 sets of speakers - best way?

CC: @davegau 
dear Dave, 

There're two ways to do what You need: 

1.  to use SUBGROUPS instead of AUXES. 
You could use subgroups 1&2 for feeding FOH, and 3&4 for feeding rear speakers. You can use also masters for FOH as before. Then all routing would be done by pressing relevant buttons placed next to the fader - mas, 1&2 or 3&4. Turning down the fader would affect both sends - to FOH and rear systems. Obviously You need to unroute subgroups from master!!

The only limitation here is that send level to both masters will be exactly same - so if You'd like to playback be a bit quieter in rear speakers than in FOH You'd need the other solution, which is:

2. use auxes as You did before but in POST mode (auxes 1&2 are switchable). In this case when You turn down channel's fader You'll also turn down send to these auxes. In this application You'll have a separate control over playback level balance in FOH and rear speakers. 

Hope that helps. 

Regards, Antoni. 

Antoni Paluszkiewicz | Triber, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Contributor - Level 1

Re: Venice 240 question - connecting 2 sets of speakers - best way?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and offer a couple of options, Antoni! Very much appreciated! Working with your 2nd option at the moment and it seems to be doing the trick! I think it's resolved for now.

Again, THANK YOU!

Cheers!

-Dave