Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

X Air Edit - Green FX Buttons?

Hello, I'm a new owner of an XR-18 and am brand new to mixing.   I have given myself a crash course over the last few days, but there are still a couple of things I'm struggling with.   This looks like a great forum, so I thought I would join and ask my first question.

What are the green buttons shown on the attached screenshot of the X Air Edit program?  I initially assumed they are levels for the FX returns; however, my effects work and register on the Effects Sends and Effects Returns meters even when the faders on these channels are set all the way down.    Any help will be appreciated.

FX.png

KevinXR18 Contributor - Level 2 2019-06-09

2019-06-09

X Air Edit - Green FX Buttons?

Hello, I'm a new owner of an XR-18 and am brand new to mixing.   I have given myself a crash course over the last few days, but there are still a couple of things I'm struggling with.   This looks like a great forum, so I thought I would join and ask my first question.

What are the green buttons shown on the attached screenshot of the X Air Edit program?  I initially assumed they are levels for the FX returns; however, my effects work and register on the Effects Sends and Effects Returns meters even when the faders on these channels are set all the way down.    Any help will be appreciated.

FX.png

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: X Air Edit - Green FX Buttons?

@KevinXR18 

Hi Kevin, welcome to the community.

The green buttons named FX1 to FX4 are indeed the faders for the FX Returns. In your screenshot, you have the FX1 Send bus selected for sends-on-fader so you would not normally want any of these faders raised - this could cause very unpleasant digital feedback. If you select the Main LR layer by clicking on the Main LR button, the FX1-FX4 faders control the amount of FX Returns in the main mix. The FX Return meters show the levels before the Return faders so are uneffected by the fader position. 

When you use an FX slot as an inserted effect, the FX Return fader for that slot has no effect - even though the meters will still show that there is signal present.

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you very much for the fast reply, Rex.  That would certainly explain the very unpleasant digital feedback I got when raising those faders.   When would those faders be used?

Edit:  Rereading your reply, I guess you already answered my question above.   One would only use those faders if in the main mix.

Super Contributor - Level 2

@KevinXR18 wrote:

Thank you very much for the fast reply, Rex.  That would certainly explain the very unpleasant digital feedback I got when raising those faders.   When would those faders be used?

@KevinXR18 

There are not many circumstances in which you would want to send one FX slot the return from another slot. It is conceivable that it could be used to serialize effects but there are often combined FX processors that would work as well. e.g. Modulation Delay.

Sending an FX slot its own return could be used to turn a simple delay into one with feedback but there are already a number of FX processors that include this function so it isn't a common use.

The important point is that any/all channels and FX Returns can be added to any of the Main LR, Bus and FX Send mixes using the sends-on-fader layers. This is a very useful feature for building the main and monitor mixes. You just need to check which layer is selected (as shown by the fader at the extreme right) before adjusting any faders.

Edit:  Rereading your reply, I guess you already answered my question above.   One would only use those faders if in the main mix.

They can also be used to add FX Returns to monitor mixes on buses 1-6 although some of us prefer to run these dry. Dry monitor mixes can encourage performers to try harder. 

Contributor - Level 2

Got it.  Thanks again!

Contributor - Level 2

Wow Great Topic!

If you could please shed some light on this dilema I have...
I'm using M Air which is the same as X Air I have read. I'm using M Air Edit on a Mac and iPad.
I'm using the unit for mixing in-ears on stage with 4 different mixes all in stereo. Bus 1-6 for 3 mixes, and I'm using the Main ouputs as the 4th mix.

Each mix has it's own effect send/return on it's Bus...

Main L/R Output Mix
- When using a reverb on a input channel, then lowering that input channel the reverb also gets lowered. Which is what I want

Bus 1-6 Output Mix (Stereo so 3 mixes)
- Same as above although when I turn down the input channel that has the reverb, I can still hear the reverb? I've tried all sorts of different approaches, and can't seem to get this to work the same as the Main L/R Output Mix?

I would like to turn down the input channel on any Bus, or Main Mix that has reverb, and have the reverb go down as well.

Hope I've explained it correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 10.32.43 PM.png