Contributor - Level 2

X32 Rack plus 3 SD8

Hi everyone,

I m new to the X32 world, and I did not find my problem covered. If I overlooked something or did not realize that was the solution: Sorry!

I am using X32Edit, X32Rack and 3 SD8 (1 at aes50-a, 2 at aes50-b in daisy chain)

The setup is going to be used a) as IEM desk and b) as a splitter for FOH engineers.
So here s the deal:

1) I want ALL INS to come from the SD8s: No tampering on stage with the desk. There s drummers involved! We need 21INs, so that should work.I already seem to have managed that, but would like to see confirmation if I did it correctly, if you could spare the time.

2) I need 5 x 2IEM busses. Also, that seems to have worked already, as it works as with any desk with the send faders, afaik. I already get signals from the INs visible in the busses, and I also got busses 1-6 routed to the AUX outs and can actually hear the signals already via our Sennheiser G4s.

3) BUT: I need the leftover 2 x 2 IEM channels to come out of the OUTs at the SD8 at AES50-a (channel 5,6 / 7,8): The drummer and the bass player are supposed to connect their IEM devices from there. On the other hand, I need channels 1-4 of the SD8 at AES50-a to work as a splitter, i.e.: A1 feeds the output below it. (plugging the keys left channel in the first in -> FOH takes signal from the out below that).

4) Because that s not quite complicated enough: I need the inputs 5 and 6 on that SD8 (AES50-a) as inputs for a click track and a guide track: Those should not be routed to any outs at all, only be sent to the monitoring busses. (see picture!)

5) The 2 SD8s at AES50-b are going to be used as splitters (i e: what goes in in the IN jack, should be accessible at the out below it for the FOH).

(Using my best McCartney voiceSmiley Happy Pleeeeease, please help meee, help mee, help meheheeeee....

Thank you!
t

ThomasThielen Contributor - Level 2 2019-10-07

2019-10-07

X32 Rack plus 3 SD8

Hi everyone,

I m new to the X32 world, and I did not find my problem covered. If I overlooked something or did not realize that was the solution: Sorry!

I am using X32Edit, X32Rack and 3 SD8 (1 at aes50-a, 2 at aes50-b in daisy chain)

The setup is going to be used a) as IEM desk and b) as a splitter for FOH engineers.
So here s the deal:

1) I want ALL INS to come from the SD8s: No tampering on stage with the desk. There s drummers involved! We need 21INs, so that should work.I already seem to have managed that, but would like to see confirmation if I did it correctly, if you could spare the time.

2) I need 5 x 2IEM busses. Also, that seems to have worked already, as it works as with any desk with the send faders, afaik. I already get signals from the INs visible in the busses, and I also got busses 1-6 routed to the AUX outs and can actually hear the signals already via our Sennheiser G4s.

3) BUT: I need the leftover 2 x 2 IEM channels to come out of the OUTs at the SD8 at AES50-a (channel 5,6 / 7,8): The drummer and the bass player are supposed to connect their IEM devices from there. On the other hand, I need channels 1-4 of the SD8 at AES50-a to work as a splitter, i.e.: A1 feeds the output below it. (plugging the keys left channel in the first in -> FOH takes signal from the out below that).

4) Because that s not quite complicated enough: I need the inputs 5 and 6 on that SD8 (AES50-a) as inputs for a click track and a guide track: Those should not be routed to any outs at all, only be sent to the monitoring busses. (see picture!)

5) The 2 SD8s at AES50-b are going to be used as splitters (i e: what goes in in the IN jack, should be accessible at the out below it for the FOH).

(Using my best McCartney voiceSmiley Happy Pleeeeease, please help meee, help mee, help meheheeeee....

Thank you!
t

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: X32 Rack plus 3 SD8

Well we kind of need to know more specifics about the “split” part of your setup I think. Where also, are you sending main L/R or is that just a concern for a FOH mixer from the "split"? The Other 2 stereo iem’s should not be hard to set up depending on what busses are left after you assigned mixes to your aux outs. Did you give the aux output routing the first 6 choices using the outputs 1-16 menu? Assuming those are also linked? The outputs of the SD8’s use by default 1 of 3 options, AES50 A Out 1-8, AES50 A out 9-16 and AES50 A out 17-24. You can switch them freely and what is assigned to those slots can be changed to fit your needs as well. AES50 A out 1-8  (switch position 1 for that A side SD8) can have “out 9-16” assigned to AES50 A out 1-8 for instance and you can then assign mxbuses 7/8 and 9/10 to the appropriate SD output slots and whatever else you may need for the other 4 outs, like direct ous of certain ch's. That part would be done in the outputs 1-16 routing, slots 9-16. You can use the P16 out menu to assign direct outs for the SD8's on the aes50b output assignments side. This will give you a quasi split for a FOH mixer but there may be issues as this is not a true split. It would be best if you could post your current scene so we can have a look. Kind of guessing otherwise.

Contributor - Level 2

SOLVED!

I solved this myself: The detour via P16 helps here. You rout the P16 1-8 outs to AES50-a outs. In this setting, then, you can combine whatever channels you want. If, now, you grab the 4 instruments PREfader (unity gain), you got 4 ins "direct outed" into 4 outs, with only digital routing going on and no loss, therefore. Then you need to get the tapping point POSTfader for the 4 IEM outs, so that folks can even influence the overall volume of their IEM buss.

The x32 is really a great thingy.

Contributor - Level 2

Here s the pic

Well we kind of need to know more specifics about the “split” part of your setup I think. Where also, are you sending main L/R or is that just a concern for a FOH mixer from the "split"? The Other 2 stereo iem’s should not be hard to set up depending on what busses are left after you assigned mixes to your aux outs. Did you give the aux output routing the first 6 choices using the outputs 1-16 menu? Assuming those are also linked? The outputs of the SD8’s use by default 1 of 3 options, AES50 A Out 1-8, AES50 A out 9-16 and AES50 A out 17-24. You can switch them freely and what is assigned to those slots can be changed to fit your needs as well. AES50 A out 1-8  (switch position 1 for that A side SD8) can have “out 9-16” assigned to AES50 A out 1-8 for instance and you can then assign mxbuses 7/8 and 9/10 to the appropriate SD output slots and whatever else you may need for the other 4 outs, like direct ous of certain ch's. That part would be done in the outputs 1-16 routing, slots 9-16. You can use the P16 out menu to assign direct outs for the SD8's on the aes50b output assignments side. This will give you a quasi split for a FOH mixer but there may be issues as this is not a true split. It would be best if you could post your current scene so we can have a look. Kind of guessing otherwise.

Contributor - Level 2

Dear Gary,

first: A huge thankyou for trying to help!

1) Scene is attached. The two mixbusses I want to route to AES50-a Ch5/6 and Ch7/8 are "Jan IEM" and "Jens IEM", which I both now, as a first workaround, routed to the X32 outs 1-4. But I d rather not have them grab them there, but at the SD8, but if necesssary I ll just get them on a patchbay there to avoid as much risk of damage as possible.

2) There will be no "main L/R" or anything: Just single channels to grab from 3 SD8s (AES50-A , 1-8, AES50-B, 1-16), where the IN of the SD8 ("Lead Voc In") should be above the respective OUT to grab ("Lead Voc FoH") for the engineer to keep things as simple as possible. The idea is to have a simple independent IEM system for us onstage while the FOH has a happy smile on his face for a very orderly setup to come over to him.

3) I have no P16 assigned whatsoever and not yet tried to use that menu... I d rather NOT have the danger of issues, as we ll be playing multiple big festivals with not much time for switching bands.

Contributor - Level 2

SOLVED!

I solved this myself: The detour via P16 helps here. You rout the P16 1-8 outs to AES50-a outs. In this setting, then, you can combine whatever channels you want. If, now, you grab the 4 instruments PREfader (unity gain), you got 4 ins "direct outed" into 4 outs, with only digital routing going on and no loss, therefore. Then you need to get the tapping point POSTfader for the 4 IEM outs, so that folks can even influence the overall volume of their IEM buss.

The x32 is really a great thingy.

Sorry I didnt get back sooner, looks like you have it sorted anyway. Yes the X32/M32 systems are really great and very flexible. Glad the p16 routing helped here, it is a very flexible and useful bus beyond its usual P16m monitor type duties. There are basically 3 'staging' menus, aux out routing, outputs 1-16 routing and P16 out routing. All 3 of those menus allow multiple tap points and signal sources that can be routed via aes50/card/xlr outs to pretty much anywhere. Hope it all works well for you!