Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

X32 scenes and cues

Hi everyone. I am the new owner of a shiny new X32. Everything is fine and I’m getting to grips with the desk. 

I have an upcoming theatre show running 24 ways of radio mics. There are a total of 40 desk cues in the show. 

What I have done is saved each of those 40 as a scene. Then imported each individual scene as a cue. 

I have set the gain on each channel to 0db and saved as such. 

What I wish to know is that when I get into the venue and line check each of the 24 channels and make the necessary adjustments is there a way when I save it all to scene / cue 1 of the show the following cues 2-40 keep the same gain and eq levels as cue 1. 

Your advice and help would be gratefully received. 

Kspa Contributor - Level 1 2019-06-12

2019-06-12

X32 scenes and cues

Hi everyone. I am the new owner of a shiny new X32. Everything is fine and I’m getting to grips with the desk. 

I have an upcoming theatre show running 24 ways of radio mics. There are a total of 40 desk cues in the show. 

What I have done is saved each of those 40 as a scene. Then imported each individual scene as a cue. 

I have set the gain on each channel to 0db and saved as such. 

What I wish to know is that when I get into the venue and line check each of the 24 channels and make the necessary adjustments is there a way when I save it all to scene / cue 1 of the show the following cues 2-40 keep the same gain and eq levels as cue 1. 

Your advice and help would be gratefully received. 

Volunteer Moderator

Re: X32 scenes and cues

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. There are a number of options to get around your dilemma. First a quick explanation of the cues, scenes and snippets in the X32 world.

Scenes store almost all settings of the console in absolute values. If you want to see these, export a scene (using the Utility button) to a file and have a look at it using a text editor. These OSC commands and values are extensively documented by Patrick (@PatrickGMaillothere

Snippets are in essence micro-scenes in that they store specific settings (or sections of settings). These can be fine-tuned to apply only the settings needed (no more, no less). These also can be viewed (or edited) with a text editor or specialized apps. I created Scene Parser to help create snippets from known good scenes. 

Cues are a list of scenes and/or snippets to create a show. Each cue can have a scene, a snippet or both (it would load the scene first then the snippet). Unfortunately the X32 GUI for these cues is a bit awkward to manage, particularly if cue need to be rearranged. Show Manager is an alternative GUI that makes it much easier to rearrange cues.

Ideally, it is best to use scenes to apply macro level changes to the X32, then use snippets to apply micro level changes (channel mutes, fader levels, EQ, etc.). Then use cues to combine the two to make a show list.

Another option is to use a theatre app such as X32 Theatre Control by James Holt (@JamesHolt), QLab, etc.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator