Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

XR18 Air not recording mic input

Hi,

I'm having a pretty baffling problem here.  I have an XR18 hooked up with USB to a Macbook Pro running Garageband.  I can record instruments (guitar for example) without any issue, but I'm unable to get it to record the microphone at all.

What's baffling about this is that I can clearly see the microphone volume level going up and down when I talk into it.  Initially I thought it was a Garageband problem, so I tried in Audacity and Reaper and get the same issue.  Then I thought maybe it was my Macbook's problem, so I tried another Macbook, and it was the same there.  Then I tried a Windows laptop, and it was the same there too!

So now I can only think it is some setting on the XR18 that I'm missing.

I've taken a video of this behaviour and uploaded it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4qlo6y2dq978zw/XR18.m4v?dl=0

Looking at that is probably the best way to understand the problem.  You can see the volume going up and down as I talk, but the recording line is flat.

If anyone has a clue what I'm doing wrong here, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks

Hutcho Contributor - Level 2 2020-03-14

2020-03-14

XR18 Air not recording mic input

Hi,

I'm having a pretty baffling problem here.  I have an XR18 hooked up with USB to a Macbook Pro running Garageband.  I can record instruments (guitar for example) without any issue, but I'm unable to get it to record the microphone at all.

What's baffling about this is that I can clearly see the microphone volume level going up and down when I talk into it.  Initially I thought it was a Garageband problem, so I tried in Audacity and Reaper and get the same issue.  Then I thought maybe it was my Macbook's problem, so I tried another Macbook, and it was the same there.  Then I tried a Windows laptop, and it was the same there too!

So now I can only think it is some setting on the XR18 that I'm missing.

I've taken a video of this behaviour and uploaded it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4qlo6y2dq978zw/XR18.m4v?dl=0

Looking at that is probably the best way to understand the problem.  You can see the volume going up and down as I talk, but the recording line is flat.

If anyone has a clue what I'm doing wrong here, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Re: XR18 Air not recording mic input

@Hutcho 

Hello, did you check your usb sends routing, could be that ch got moved  off from the "usual" spot?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just figured it out.  For the mic channel, I needed to go to the Input tab and select USB as the channel source, not A/D.  Now it's coming through!

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Actually, that wasn't it.  I just put it back to A/D.  So now I have no idea what I changed but it seems to be working.  

Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

@Hutcho wrote:

Actually, that wasn't it.  I just put it back to A/D.  So now I have no idea what I changed but it seems to be working.  

The correct answer is "cosmic rays" 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!