Top Solution Authors
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Using X Air as a sound card?

The X Air manual says that 18 channel recording could be done from the X18 to a USB recorder (not sure what multi channel USB recorder they mean).

Does it mean that X18 could be used as an 18 channel sound card with Ableton Live, and all the live instruments connected to the X18 inputs can be mixed and processed in Ableton Live?

Thank you.

kesha1 Contributor - Level 3 2019-09-11

2019-09-11

Using X Air as a sound card?

The X Air manual says that 18 channel recording could be done from the X18 to a USB recorder (not sure what multi channel USB recorder they mean).

Does it mean that X18 could be used as an 18 channel sound card with Ableton Live, and all the live instruments connected to the X18 inputs can be mixed and processed in Ableton Live?

Thank you.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Using X Air as a sound card?

@kesha1 wrote:

Yes that is correct Charles. I use Reaper to do the same thing. If you are using a Mac or linux box, the X18 is Core compliant, meaning that added drivers are not required. If you are using a Windows PC, you will need to download and install the ASIO drivers (found here). Then in X-Air Edit, you assign the desired channels in the In/Out, USB Sends screen.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

I am at the USB Sends screen, but I don't know how to assign some channels to play in Ableton Live. What should I click on?

Volunteer Moderator

@kesha1 wrote:

I am at the USB Sends screen, but I don't know how to assign some channels to play in Ableton Live. What should I click on?

The USB Sends screen is a grid of USB outputs (left side) and input selection (top). The circles represent the assignments. The default is 1 to 1 (USB 1 assigned channel 1, tapped analog). The taps (bottom reference) are where in the signal path the signal is extracted to go out the USB channels. Analog is tapped just after the preamps (no channel processing). To change the taps, right click on the circle and select the taps.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Just got my XR18 today, lined up USB playback from DAW - using the EDIT program, very loud- I dont see any output on MAIN meters (aux yes)  and no adjustent of main sliders or channel sliders make any difference. Its as if Ive bypassed the mixer straight to main outs.

Do I need to make adjustment somewhere else in the mixer EDIT program to be able to see and control the output level?

Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

@feet wrote:

Just got my XR18 today, lined up USB playback from DAW - using the EDIT program, very loud- I dont see any output on MAIN meters (aux yes)  and no adjustent of main sliders or channel sliders make any difference. Its as if Ive bypassed the mixer straight to main outs.

Do I need to make adjustment somewhere else in the mixer EDIT program to be able to see and control the output level?

@feet 

Hi Finlay, welcome to the community.

This could be a routing issue in the XR18. If you select a USB pair as the source for Main on the In/Out -> Main Out page, you will have no control of the output volume. Instead, set Main to Main LR and route the USB returns to channels or Aux using the In/Out -> USB Returns page. Then you can switch the channels to use the USB return on their Input tab - or use the USB Plugin button on the In/Out -> USB Returns page which switches all channes to USB. The Off (Analog) button switches all channels back to analogue inputs.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Many thanks, I figured it out last night, routing is the key, setting it to Main L/R for USB.

There is a lot in this mixer, lots to figure out. Oddly NO user manual from the authors of the EDIT program or Behringer.

Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

@feet wrote:

Many thanks, I figured it out last night, routing is the key, setting it to Main L/R for USB.

There is a lot in this mixer, lots to figure out. Oddly NO user manual from the authors of the EDIT program or Behringer.

@feet 

It does take a while to become familiar with all the settings. That's the price of the flexibility. There is a partial manual on the Wiki although it doesn't say much about routing. I think the Block Diagram is useful for understanding the signal paths. There are also links to a number of instructional videos.

If/when you have questions, ask them in this forum. There are a lot of very experienced users here who are always happy to help.