Top Solution Authors
Contributor - Level 2

Using X Air as a sound card?

The X Air manual says that 18 channel recording could be done from the X18 to a USB recorder (not sure what multi channel USB recorder they mean).

Does it mean that X18 could be used as an 18 channel sound card with Ableton Live, and all the live instruments connected to the X18 inputs can be mixed and processed in Ableton Live?

Thank you.

kesha1 Contributor - Level 2 2019-09-11

2019-09-11

Using X Air as a sound card?

The X Air manual says that 18 channel recording could be done from the X18 to a USB recorder (not sure what multi channel USB recorder they mean).

Does it mean that X18 could be used as an 18 channel sound card with Ableton Live, and all the live instruments connected to the X18 inputs can be mixed and processed in Ableton Live?

Thank you.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Using X Air as a sound card?

@kesha1 wrote:

Yes that is correct Charles. I use Reaper to do the same thing. If you are using a Mac or linux box, the X18 is Core compliant, meaning that added drivers are not required. If you are using a Windows PC, you will need to download and install the ASIO drivers (found here). Then in X-Air Edit, you assign the desired channels in the In/Out, USB Sends screen.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for your reply.

I am at the USB Sends screen, but I don't know how to assign some channels to play in Ableton Live. What should I click on?

Volunteer Moderator

@kesha1 wrote:

I am at the USB Sends screen, but I don't know how to assign some channels to play in Ableton Live. What should I click on?

The USB Sends screen is a grid of USB outputs (left side) and input selection (top). The circles represent the assignments. The default is 1 to 1 (USB 1 assigned channel 1, tapped analog). The taps (bottom reference) are where in the signal path the signal is extracted to go out the USB channels. Analog is tapped just after the preamps (no channel processing). To change the taps, right click on the circle and select the taps.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator