Contributor - Level 2

Adding DCAs to Mute Groups

Let's try this one:
Would it be at all possible to add the DCA mutes to the mute groups? It would be nice to be able to mute to the audience - without killing the mains - while still having the band able to hear themselves in their monitors. But then being able to unmute all of the monitors with one finger instead of the current manual way? Thanks.
TrevorNelson Contributor - Level 2 2017-07-11

2017-07-11

Adding DCAs to Mute Groups

Let's try this one:
Would it be at all possible to add the DCA mutes to the mute groups? It would be nice to be able to mute to the audience - without killing the mains - while still having the band able to hear themselves in their monitors. But then being able to unmute all of the monitors with one finger instead of the current manual way? Thanks.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Adding DCAs to Mute Groups

The last part of your post is confusing. Sounds like your goal is to kill the band to FOH without muting LR, but allowing the band to still have monitors. But then you refer to unmuting the monitors with one touch. I saw no reference to muting the monitors in the first place.

If, as I suspect, your goal is to mute the band at FOH so that perhaps you can play break music in FOH while the band has live monitors on stage, this is how I do it.

Assign all band channels to a single DCA (but not the break music). A mute of that DCA will kill the band in FOH, leave break music hot to FOH and the monitor busses will still be hot to the band.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your goal.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I will add that I wish a DCA could be controlled in a mute group. Since I mix on an x32 Rack and iPad, it would be nice to have that mute arrangement described above controlled by an ever present mute group rather than having to switch layers to mute the DCA.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Can you not create a button that can be activated on the iPad? Mixing Station Pro allows many such features that we use on our tablet - we have a latching button to switch between different Mute Groups for Band vs break music, and a 'press and hold' button to engage a specific set of mutes (and un-mutes) to remove vocal FX when we want to talk to people between songs...
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Regretfully, the ios mix app does not have that kind of versatility. In fact, since the Mixing Station format has not been made available for Apple devices, I continue to use Edit 2.5 for familiarity. If the Mixing Station format for the iPad app were made available I would then learn and use Edit 3.1 for consistency.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Trevor Nelson;127063 wrote:
It would be nice to be able to mute to the audience - without killing the mains - while still having the band able to hear themselves in their monitors. But then being able to unmute all of the monitors with one finger instead of the current manual way? Thanks.

Ok, I'll have another go to solve this specific issue, not the wider DCA to Mute Groups. Note that we don't use the FoH desk this way - we have a separate Monitors desk, so our IEMs are always 'live'.
If you set up your monitor busses pre-fader (which I assume you do so that changes to FoH do not affect your monitors), you could select 'PreFdr' without the '+M' suffix. That should mean that your monitors are always live, which is not quite what you want (i.e. be able to mute all mics to monitors and/or all mics to FoH separately) but it might offer a work-around.
Honestly, I firmly believe that everyone that uses any hand-held device to control FoH sound should use Mixing Station on an Android tablet. It is SUCH a powerful and intuitive tool that provides so many additional features and customisation options that the relatively trivial cost of a 2nd-hand Android tablet (we bought a 10" Sony Xperia Z for £110) will soon be considered to be insignificant in the context of what Mixing Station offers. Custom Buttons and IDCAs are just two such options, plus layer/channel customisation - it's awesome Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

You're right. I absolutely mispoke when I posted this originally. I meant to say I wanted to mute the mains - via the DCAs - while NOT muting the band's monitors. So adding the DCAs to the mute groups would be strictly for simplifying muting/unmuting the mains. It was a complete brainfart typo in my original post.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Jeff Rowell;127132 wrote:

If, as I suspect, your goal is to mute the band at FOH so that perhaps you can play break music in FOH while the band has live monitors on stage, this is how I do it.

Assign all band channels to a single DCA (but not the break music). A mute of that DCA will kill the band in FOH, leave break music hot to FOH and the monitor busses will still be hot to the band.

Hello all,
I do FOH and monitors at the same time and have to deal with the same problem.

The solution posted above doesnt realy work if you use "DCA Hard mute" option in settings.
And actually DCA hard mute of channels is something really usefull that I see most of people preffer using. When you re in hard mute when you Mute the DCA it will Mute all the individual channells assigned to that DCA.

Here is how I solved the problem of the need of music playing before the show to the Mains. And also have all the channels open on stage and not at mains.

If you just use a stereo feed for the PA, use the output of Matrix 1 for PA L ans Matrix 2 for PA R
All the channels are sent to Main L R on the console and Main L R is sent to Matrix 1 and 2 that feeds the PA
the music stereo channels are not going to "ST" or Main L R on the console. Sen the music to Group or Aux 9 and 10
Send Group/Aux 9 10 to Matrix 1 and 2
Now if you Mute the Master fader you are only muting the instrument channels for the PA but the music keeps playing

You can then have all your instrument channels live on stage monitors

Off course this is just a workaround,
I also think the you shoulbr be able to assign DCA's and MATRIXs to MUTE GROUPS.
Thats something e that needs improving

Also you should be able to assign a DCA to control MATRIX faders and the Master Fader also