Contributor - Level 2

Adding S32 to our X32 Main console. Routing ???

Hey All,

New here. Please go easy on me. We are currently between sound people at the moment at my church and I am trying to get caught up to speed on our Behringer x32 soundboard. I have decent working knowledge of common sounds adjustments at the board. However, this is still very unfamiliar territory to someone who’s always had an instrument in hand, but never a scribble strip.

To make matters slightly more complicated, we are planning a sound upgrade this weekend, which will include stage re-wiring and physical reroute to a Behringer S32 digital snake. Utilizing the AES50 and S32 to handle all the I/O physical connections. I have the requisite knowledge on the physical connections for all this work, but can’t say the same for the digital routing/mapping of the channels at the board. This is where my questions come...

I understand that with the AES50 connection, I simply need to reroute signals from X32 local routing to AES50, which is easy enough. My confusion lies with configuring the outputs of the s32, specifically the setting of proper Tap points for monitors, for mains. Also confused with setting/assigning buses, groups, etc. I’m not sure our current settings were ever properly setup? And I think after the reroute, what we have saved might need to be reconfigured?

The S32 will be located off-stage and will now manage all in/out connections, with AES50 being only connection going to FOH. Need help understanding assigning outputs to feed our Mains (L/R), Subwoofer, Passive monitors (2 separate amps – 4 separate mixes). Also assigning proper taps for each component. Can anyone walk me through this?

With the ‘learn on the fly’ nature of our current circumstances, I’ve been trying to utilize youtube to gain understanding. Yet I still feel very confused with the proper assigning of these outputs with an S32, and how to set this up at our X32.

Thanks in advance.
Tags (1)
BrentDoak Contributor - Level 2 2018-02-12

2018-02-12

Adding S32 to our X32 Main console. Routing ???

Hey All,

New here. Please go easy on me. We are currently between sound people at the moment at my church and I am trying to get caught up to speed on our Behringer x32 soundboard. I have decent working knowledge of common sounds adjustments at the board. However, this is still very unfamiliar territory to someone who’s always had an instrument in hand, but never a scribble strip.

To make matters slightly more complicated, we are planning a sound upgrade this weekend, which will include stage re-wiring and physical reroute to a Behringer S32 digital snake. Utilizing the AES50 and S32 to handle all the I/O physical connections. I have the requisite knowledge on the physical connections for all this work, but can’t say the same for the digital routing/mapping of the channels at the board. This is where my questions come...

I understand that with the AES50 connection, I simply need to reroute signals from X32 local routing to AES50, which is easy enough. My confusion lies with configuring the outputs of the s32, specifically the setting of proper Tap points for monitors, for mains. Also confused with setting/assigning buses, groups, etc. I’m not sure our current settings were ever properly setup? And I think after the reroute, what we have saved might need to be reconfigured?

The S32 will be located off-stage and will now manage all in/out connections, with AES50 being only connection going to FOH. Need help understanding assigning outputs to feed our Mains (L/R), Subwoofer, Passive monitors (2 separate amps – 4 separate mixes). Also assigning proper taps for each component. Can anyone walk me through this?

With the ‘learn on the fly’ nature of our current circumstances, I’ve been trying to utilize youtube to gain understanding. Yet I still feel very confused with the proper assigning of these outputs with an S32, and how to set this up at our X32.

Thanks in advance.

• 0 Kudos
  • 11 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: Adding S32 to our X32 Main console. Routing ???

If your old routing from your X32 worked, it will be easy enough to use the S32 for inputs and outputs. Call up your usual scene. All your input/home routing will have to be changed to be aes50 1-32 instead of local 1-32. Think you got that. Assuming you use the A port of both units, that would be AES50A 1-8, 9-16, 17-24 and 24-32. The outputs will be exactly the same as when you were using just the X32, IF you look at aes50a out 1-8 and aes50 a out 9-16 in the routing menu and make sure they say "out 1-8" and "out 9-16" respectively. (not aes50 out 1-8 and 9-16, just plain out 1-8 and out 9-16)) I believe that's default anyway. That will get you where you were. Then just plug the ins and outs as they were 1 to 1 on the board. Save a new scene. The tap points and all else can be changed after the fact if they were not quite correct. Once things work as you intended on this level, the rest will be easier to deal with imo.

Some additional info that may help.

"out 1-8" means From the outputs 1-16 routing menu, items 1 thru 8
"out 9-16" means From the outputs 1-16 routing menu, items 9 thru 16

Anywhere you see 'out 1-8' and 'out 9-16' in the routing menu it refers to the above.

The outputs 1-16 routing menu is where you select what sources each numbered output will carry. Default for a full console is mixbuses 1-14, main L and main R. These can be changed to whatever you want. For instance Main L/R could be set as outputs 1 and 2 instead of 15/16. Whatever works for you, you're the boss.

In almost every situation in the outputs 1-16 routing menu, these selections should be left at "post fader". This ensures your FOH speakers, subs, etc and monitor mixes have an overall fader level control and full ch processing such as eq and inserts if you need them.

The XLR out menu is for the X32 physical XLR outputs ONLY. They can be the same outputs as your S32 but the 2 can be idependent of each other as well. This would potentially allow 32 different output sources when teamed up with your S32. Probably over the top but can be done.

The AES50A/B routing column refers to outputs from the 2 AES50 ports on the rear of the X32. This directs outputs to your S32. This column is output only. Even though each aes50 bus is 48 ch's in BOTH directions, this column deals with the output side of things. Incoming AES50 is handled by another mixers AES50 output column or what inputs the stagebox sends to your mixer. You can direct where incoming AES5O gets distributed in this menu but not assign its sources. That's done by the sending device.

The AES50 A/B output routing column sources are what your S32 (or any AES50 connected stagebox) will use for outputs. (The XLR out column remember is for the X32 physical outputs)

Your S32 (or any stagebox) has FIXED outputs. The S32 uses incoming (from your X32) AES50A 1-16 for its XLR outputs 1-16. AES50A 17-32 for its adat outputs and AES50A 33-48 for its ultranet port. It also uses AES50A 13-16 for its AES/EBU ports. The AES50 assignments can be changed by you in the AES50 A/B routing menu but not which numbered ones are output from which physical output port.

SO...when you put "out 1-8" and "out 9-16" in your AES50A outputs 1-8/9-16, you are making your 'outputs 1-16' assignments be what is output from you S32's XLR 1-16.

Contributor - Level 2

Gary,

Many thanks for your replies. Sorry for my delay on responding. Your first post makes sense, and definitely helped (in combination with reading x32 manual several times). Unfortunately, for my case, after the re-wire and re-plugin I dont believe it will be "1 to 1" the connections from the previous saved scene. Since it was such a mess before I'm probably better off starting from scratch w/ our mix. I think with your posts you provided enough info to me to figure out how to roughly manage the X32 to S32 routing exchange.

Additional area that I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around... With re-routing all inputs/outputs to S32 off stage - How do I now handle the components that hook up local to X32 at the sound booth? Things that dont make sense to relocate to the stage closet. For example, we have a computer hookup (LR stereo), 2 wireless VOX receivers, 2 separate wireless lapel mic receivers, and an output to feed audio to the lobby. I dont quite understand how to utilize X32's local connections if I already rerouted everything to S32?? This one is likely an easy one, I'm just a pathetic novice.

Another area of confusion lies with how we have our Sub wired (Mackie SRS1500). We have 2 inputs (L/R) coming in. I'm assuming these are sent from the board? 2 "Full-Range parallel" outputs that I traced to the L/R FOH Mains. Then 2 more L/R High Pass Outputs that I dont understand at all!? What are these here for, where they are going, are they redundant?? What a mystery... I have yet to follow/trace back wires (this will happen on Friday). So hopefully after that I can make more sense of this particular wiring mess. From my limited knowledge it sounds dumb to have high pass outputs if I'm also running full range parallel? Unless im more confused than originally thought regarding the sub.

My plan is to hookup the sub differently with the "Aux-fed mono send Subwoofer" method, utilizing "Main M/C mono" send in the same way this video explains, so as to have more control over it and what goes to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHNzXSGrE7Y - However video doesnt go into any detail regarding which channel/location to send from. Again, likely an easy one for someone with better comprehension. Can it just simply be any S32 output location that I just assign to the M/C mono channel, then utilize the Main L/R, M/C Mono crossover method explained in the vid?? Since its mono channel, do I need to send 2 inputs to the sub or can I just send one. Does it plug into L or R port?

So many questions... Thanks for your patience.

Brent
Contributor - Level 3

...Things that dont make sense to relocate to the stage closet. For example, we have a computer hookup (LR stereo), 2 wireless VOX receivers, 2 separate wireless lapel mic receivers...

This is what your aux-ins are for. NB the aux channels only have peq: no compression, hpf etc. Probably not a problem for the computer input, but if you want extra processing on those HH\lavs, you can have another channel with process (ch1-32) source its input from the aux in socket (select channel>config tab>3rd encoder,) and move the old source for ch1-32 over to the aux channel, and that channel will have limited processing. If you need >32x channels all with comps and hpfs, you'll either need a bigger desk, or you'll need to run channels into buses and use the buses to apply extra eq to act as a hpf and use the bus' compressor, then route the bus to LR.
Routing>Home
Inputs1-32: AES50 1-32 (S32's preamps)
AuxIn remap: auxIn (6x TRS\RCA inputs on the rear of the console will appear on the aux channels (3rd layer LHS.) If you want you can run the computer in digitally via the USB expansion card, set the auxIn remap to Card1-2, so you get the computer digitally on aux1+2 (no DA-AD conversion,) then run the RXs into aux3-6.

...and an output to feed audio to the lobby...

Routed to a local auxout (routing>aux out tab,) or to one of the local XLR outs (will be duplicated on the S32, but you don't actually have to plug anything in on the S32 end.)

We have 2 inputs (L/R) coming in. I'm assuming these are sent from the board? 2 "Full-Range parallel" outputs that I traced to the L/R FOH Mains.

That's not ideal: you've got the subs producing LF, and you've got the tops producing LF+HF. It would make more sense to have the subs only doing LF, and utilizing the High Pass outputs to feed the tops, so the tops only do HF. The full-range outputs really only need to be used if you want to daisy-chain multiple subs.

Correct re aux-fed sub: Routing>out1-16, choose an output, assign it M\C, post fader. You should be able to get away with just the one output, run into the left input of the sub. You might have to turn the sub up 6dB from where it was to get the same level of output as you had before if you only run one line into it. If you assign the M\C bus to two outputs and run them into 2 inputs on the sub, you get your 6dB boost there when they sum. It really depends on how many spare S32 outputs and cables you've got.

If using aux-fed subs it'll probably also be worth going Setup>Config and setting "M\C depends on MainLR" on. This will mean you can adjust the volume of the whole PA using the LR fader.

If doing aux-fed subs, you'll need to run separate outputs from the S32 to feed the tops, as if you do it from the sub all you'll be feeding the tops is the M\C bus, without the low end (if you use the high-passed outputs,) so all you'll get is the top end of the Kick+Bass.
Contributor - Level 2

Craig Fowler;140725 wrote:
... Probably not a problem for the computer input, but if you want extra processing on those HH\lavs, you can have another channel with process (ch1-32) source its input from the aux in socket (select channel>config tab>3rd encoder,) and move the old source for ch1-32 over to the aux channel, and that channel will have limited processing. If you need >32x channels all with comps and hpfs, you'll either need a bigger desk, or you'll need to run channels into buses and use the buses to apply extra eq to act as a hpf and use the bus' compressor, then route the bus to LR...

A lot of soundboard jargon thrown at me in this paragraph so, bear with me... Not too worried about the computer, as you said, can use Aux-in's or usb for that. Biggest concern is the wireless VOX vocal mic's and the paster lapel mic. Would want all the processing for these. Plus they are XLR and I'm trying to avoid converting it a 1/4" connection with Aux-in. I suppose as a last option I could just relocate receivers to the S32 location to make things easier. But nice to have arms access to them for the sound guy at the board.

...Routed to a local auxout (routing>aux out tab,) or to one of the local XLR outs (will be duplicated on the S32, but you don't actually have to plug anything in on the S32 end...)

Since all routing will be configured thru AES50a, does that mean I cannot use any xlr in's local to the X32 anymore? Or can I, assuming nothing is plugged in to the corresponding S32 at the same input number? I'm not sure, but I think you're saying I can still use x32 XLR inputs in conjunction with S32, so long as nothing is plugged into the S32 at that spot?

... That's not ideal: you've got the subs producing LF, and you've got the tops producing LF+HF. It would make more sense to have the subs only doing LF, and utilizing the High Pass outputs to feed the tops, so the tops only do HF. The full-range outputs really only need to be used if you want to daisy-chain multiple subs.

Correct re aux-fed sub: Routing>out1-16, choose an output, assign it M\C, post fader. You should be able to get away with just the one output, run into the left input of the sub. You might have to turn the sub up 6dB from where it was to get the same level of output as you had before if you only run one line into it. If you assign the M\C bus to two outputs and run them into 2 inputs on the sub, you get your 6dB boost there when they sum. It really depends on how many spare S32 outputs and cables you've got...

If S32 outputs are not a concern, would you recommend running two lines out to sub to hook up at L & R ports, as opposed to just one? We will have enough outputs to run 2, if this is the preferred method.

Thanks,
Contributor - Level 3

Or can I, assuming nothing is plugged in to the corresponding S32 at the same input number? I'm not sure, but I think you're saying I can still use x32 XLR inputs in conjunction with S32, so long as nothing is plugged into the S32 at that spot?

No. You can use any or all of the sixty four XLR inputs at the same time, that is 32 Local and 32 AES50, plus the Aux inputs. However the X32 can only mix up to forty of those sixty four at any given moment.
Contributor - Level 3

A lot of soundboard jargon thrown at me in this paragraph so, bear with me... Not too worried about the computer, as you said, can use Aux-in's or usb for that. Biggest concern is the wireless VOX vocal mic's and the paster lapel mic. Would want all the processing for these. Plus they are XLR and I'm trying to avoid converting it a 1/4" connection with Aux-in. I suppose as a last option I could just relocate receivers to the S32 location to make things easier. But nice to have arms access to them for the sound guy at the board.

The receivers normally produce a line-level signal output, so they don't actually need to go into preamps. If the mics are on the stage, it's standard paractice to have the receivers on the stage as well: the signal has to travel less distance, there is less chance of interference etc. However I acknowledge that it can be handy to have the receivers at the mix position so you can monitor them, eg check mute status, clipping etc. Some newer receivers offer management over ethernet\wifi, so you can have the receivers on stage, run an ethernet line to the mix position and a computer, and run an app on the computer to monitor the status of all the receivers. That could get you the best of both worlds, if your receivers can do that.

If that's not an option:
Routing>Home
Inputs1-32: AES50 1-32 (S32 Preamps)
AuxIn Remap" Local 1-4 (First 4x preamps (XLR) on the rear of the console, use these for your RX\Lavs
Use aux5+6 in for your computer (RCA or TRS.)

This will lead to S32 preamps 1-32 being on ch1-32, the RX\Lavs on aux1-4, and the computer on aux5+6.

You'll probably want some extra processing on the handheld\lavs though, which the aux channels don't offer. Instead what you do is find a spare channel in the ch 1-32 range (or at least a channel in that range that doesn't need a high-pass fiter or compression, eg ch32.) Select that channel (ch32,) go to the "config" tab, and use the 3rd encoder to change that channel's source from "32: A32" (the 32nd preamp on the S32) to "A1: In01." Now ch32 is getting its signal from Aux1, which thanks to the auxIn remap set above, is the 1st local preamp on the rear of the console. Now the mic plugged into that preamp is being processed by ch32, which has a high-pass filter, a compressor etc, which the aux channel didn't have.

Since all routing will be configured thru AES50a, does that mean I cannot use any xlr in's local to the X32 anymore? Or can I, assuming nothing is plugged in to the corresponding S32 at the same input number? I'm not sure, but I think you're saying I can still use x32 XLR inputs in conjunction with S32, so long as nothing is plugged into the S32 at that spot?

For inputs, not really. The blocks-of-8 routing limitation gets in the way, but you can sort of overcome it with some bank-shifting and the auxIn remap, which I've mentioned above. If you can let us know exactly how many preamps of the 32 on the S32 you actually plan to use for mics on stage, and how many preamps you'd like to use on the console for sources in the mix position, we can tell you if it'll work out of the box or if there are any concessions that need to be made. For outputs, yes, you can use both S32 and console's XLR outputs at the same time for the same or different signals.

You can set up 16x signals to be output on the routing>out1-16 tab. These 16x signals can be output on the console's own XLR outputs, and\or the S32's XLR outputs. By default, they'll be mirrored: the signal on output1 of the console will be the same as the signal on output1 of the S32. However just because a signal is present at a physical output, that doesn't mean you actually have to plug an amp into it. However, if you want, it's possible to get 16 signals to the S32's XLR outs, and an entirely *different* 16 signals to the console's own XLR outputs. That way you can use 16x signals from the S32 to run things like monitors and FOH at the stage, and have 16x *different* signals on the console's own XLR outputs for things like recording, delay lines, overflow, broadcast etc.

If S32 outputs are not a concern, would you recommend running two lines out to sub to hook up at L & R ports, as opposed to just one? We will have enough outputs to run 2, if this is the preferred method.

2 lines into the sub: summing those two signals at the amp's input means better SNR compared with boosting the amp's sensitivity (or cutting its attenuation, however you want to look at it,) for the amp's output, so more headroom before distortion. It also means less physical re-patching later if you want to change from an aux-fed sub to going full-range LR.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Hello ...
just added S32 to X32 producer.
I followed these instructions but I can't use more than 8 outputs.
Why ??

[IMG] [/IMG]

Gary Higgins;140606 wrote:

Some additional info that may help.

"out 1-8" means From the outputs 1-16 routing menu, items 1 thru 8
"out 9-16" means From the outputs 1-16 routing menu, items 9 thru 16

Anywhere you see 'out 1-8' and 'out 9-16' in the routing menu it refers to the above.

The outputs 1-16 routing menu is where you select what sources each numbered output will carry. Default for a full console is mixbuses 1-14, main L and main R. These can be changed to whatever you want. For instance Main L/R could be set as outputs 1 and 2 instead of 15/16. Whatever works for you, you're the boss.

Simone, the XLR out menu deals ONLY with the physical XLR's on the producer itself (only has 8). The AES50a outputs menu covers any outputs of your connected S32.

6th tab over on your first jpeg