Contributor - Level 3

Channel Inserts as direct out's....

Hi guys, New member on MT and also new to the whole home recording world. I am looking into a Behringer QX1622 mixer. I have a question regarding channel Inserts located on the back. I read with other mixers about a "one click" trick using a TS cable to use those "channel Inserts" as direct outs into my Scarlett interface to have split channels for guitars and drums? Can I do the same on this QX1622? Sorry in advance if a similar question was asked before, but being new to all of this I didn't know what to look for...

Thank you for the help.

Joe.

Best regards, Joey Carvalho
4x12 Contributor - Level 3 2019-12-01

2019-12-01

Channel Inserts as direct out's....

Hi guys, New member on MT and also new to the whole home recording world. I am looking into a Behringer QX1622 mixer. I have a question regarding channel Inserts located on the back. I read with other mixers about a "one click" trick using a TS cable to use those "channel Inserts" as direct outs into my Scarlett interface to have split channels for guitars and drums? Can I do the same on this QX1622? Sorry in advance if a similar question was asked before, but being new to all of this I didn't know what to look for...

Thank you for the help.

Joe.

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Channel Inserts as direct out's....

@4x12 wrote:

Just curious about that Hosa cable, since is a TRS wont that send and return the signal? the reason the a TS cable shold be used? Or is that since a TS will be connected on the other end it cancels the TRS????

Once again, sorry for the lack of comprehension here... I sometimes over analyse things. 

@4x12 

You are quite correct. Insert sockets send the signal out of the tip of the TRS and take the return back from the ring. When there isn't a plug inserted, a small switch connects the send and return signals. The Hosa adapter cable connects the TRS tip and ring together so that the internal circuit is maintained and then takes this signal to the TS socket to be used as an output.

The partially inserted TS plug trick relies on the TS tip contacting the insert socket's ring but not opening the shorting switch. It normally works OK but can require quite precise location of the plug. So the adapter cable is a more reliable solution.

The schematic of a cable for getting a direct output from an insert socket is:

Insert Tap.PNG

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could make your own cables and save a few dollars.

View solution in original post

@4x12 

Hi Joey, welcome to the community.

Most insert sockets can be used as a direct output by partially inserting a TS jack. There is a cleaner solution though. these adapter cables  would be a more reliable way to tap the signals. 

Contributor - Level 3

Hi Rex, thank you for he response, but please excuse my lack of knowledge here... how would I use those cables in my situation? 

@4x12 wrote:

Hi Rex, thank you for he response, but please excuse my lack of knowledge here... how would I use those cables in my situation? 

@4x12 

You plug those adapter cables into the insert sockets on the mixer channels you want to record. Then you use normal TS to TS jack cables to connect from the adapter cable sockets to the Scarlett line inputs.

Which Scarlett interface do you have?

Contributor - Level 3

Ohhhh ok... I get it, its a male/female type of cable. I couldn't see the other end had an insert. lol So this Hosa cable avoids having a partial connection that might be "wobbly" and interfer with the connection correct? 

I am using the 2i2 for the moment... Althoug the Behringer UMC404HD looks interesting.

Just wondering if the QX1622 can do this... I am guessing it can, since other brands like Mackie does the one click thing. 

Contributor - Level 3

Just curious about that Hosa cable, since its a TRS, wont that send and return the signal? the reason the TS cable should be used? Or is that since a TS will be connected on the other end it cancels the TRS????

Once again, sorry for the lack of comprehension here... I sometimes over analyse things. 

Contributor - Level 3

I'd just get an XR18.  A bit more expensive, but it's 18x18.

@4x12 wrote:

Just curious about that Hosa cable, since is a TRS wont that send and return the signal? the reason the a TS cable shold be used? Or is that since a TS will be connected on the other end it cancels the TRS????

@4x12 

You are quite correct. Insert sockets send the signal out of the tip of the TRS and take the return back from the ring. When there isn't a plug inserted, a small switch connects the send and return signals. The Hosa adapter cable connects the TRS tip and ring together so that the internal circuit is maintained and then takes this signal to the TS socket to be used as an output.

The partially inserted TS plug trick relies on the TS tip contacting the insert socket's ring but not opening the shorting switch. It normally works OK but can require quite precise location of the plug. So the adapter cable is a more reliable solution.

The schematic of a cable for getting a direct output from an insert socket is:

Insert Tap.PNG

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could make your own cables and save a few dollars.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Hi Craig, that XR18 is a great option I didnt know about... but way out of my budget for the time being. Since I am building my setup from scratch I need to save where I can so I can get all I need. But thank you, I will keep this on my upgrade list!