Contributor - Level 1

Connecting MADI to an M32 using the DN9650?

We are wanting to send a MADI signal from another console to our recording studio. The recording studio has an M32 using the USB card to connect to ProTools for recording. Can we use the DN9650 to convert the MADI to AES50 so that we can get 32 channels from the main console to the M32?

webcatcher Contributor - Level 1 2019-10-08

2019-10-08

Connecting MADI to an M32 using the DN9650?

We are wanting to send a MADI signal from another console to our recording studio. The recording studio has an M32 using the USB card to connect to ProTools for recording. Can we use the DN9650 to convert the MADI to AES50 so that we can get 32 channels from the main console to the M32?

Highlighted
Triber Contributor

Re: Connecting MADI to an M32 using the DN9650?

Hi @webcatcher 

Because the DN9650 can operate at 48kHz on the AES50 side, it will work with an M32, however, you'll only have 24 channels of MADI In/Out. Each AES50 port on the DN9650 can only transmit/receive 24 channels of bidirectional audio regardless of sample rate. So, connecting one AES50 port from the M32 you'll only have 24 channels I/O via a MADI device.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're taking another console that outputs MADI and connecting it to an M32 for recording via Pro Tools. If this is the case, you could remove the DN32-USB card on the M32 and install a DN32-MADI card, which will connect to your MADI console, then use a Klark Teknik DN9630 and connect to the M32 using an available AES50 port to convert to USB.

Chase McKnight | Solutions Manager, Music Tribe If you found my post helpful, go ahead and give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs