Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Control button stays lit

Hey guys. New to Xtouch. Currently on Logic 10.3. Running Xtouch using MC on USB, firmware 1.15. When I turn on the Xtouch none of the buttons are lit. When I launch a Logic project the control button lights up and stays lit. The save button does this as well. Is this normal?

When I try to do a custom key command using the control button it doesn’t work like on the Behringer how to videos. If I press and hold control + F1 it registers as a music note. Pressing control by itself or F1 by itself works as expected.

Any pointers?
Tags (1)
SeanSalmon Contributor - Level 2 08-05-2018

08-05-2018

Control button stays lit

Hey guys. New to Xtouch. Currently on Logic 10.3. Running Xtouch using MC on USB, firmware 1.15. When I turn on the Xtouch none of the buttons are lit. When I launch a Logic project the control button lights up and stays lit. The save button does this as well. Is this normal?

When I try to do a custom key command using the control button it doesn’t work like on the Behringer how to videos. If I press and hold control + F1 it registers as a music note. Pressing control by itself or F1 by itself works as expected.

Any pointers?

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 1

Logic 10.4.1 here

Lots depends on the Logic project.

Turn off the X-Touch , quit Logic

Turn on the X-Touch, launch Logic and open a new, empty project...I see only the "Automation Read/Off" button lit green.

As far as assigning keys it is well worth reading the Logic Control Surfaces manual, chapter on Mackie Control, to figure out what you need to do. The X-Touch is basically a Mackie Control - almost literally button for button.

I have constrained Logic to only use 50% of the bandwidth available for MIDI (the USB connection can easily overwhelm the poor thing )
Logic Pro X 10.4.6, X-Touch 1.15, XR18 1.5, macOS 10.14.5
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Control button stays lit

Thanks for the reply. I tried quitting Logic, turning off X-touch, turning on Xtouch and then Logic. I've tried deleting preferences for control surfaces, reflashing the firmware, etc. When I start Logic even when not in a project the control button is lit up.

I tried doing the function button assignment as demonstrated on the Behringer youtube channel but it just doesn't work for me.

The 50% bandwidth for MIDI is default, so that one's already set for me.

The only other thing I can think of is trying to update from Logic 10.3 to 10.4? Let's see if that does anything. Smiley Tongue
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Control button stays lit

Interesting. So I updated to Logic 10.4 and the stuck button color has resolved. This really lends to the idea that Logic plays a huge roll in any weirdness with the X-Touch.

One thing that didn't resolve is doing custom key commands. Same thing happens as above... if I follow the Behringer video tutorial on customizing keys and attempt to "set pointer" by doing Control+F1, it registers as a music note string, whereas if I hit control alone it shows "Control" and F1 alone shows "F1". It's the combination that doesn't work.
Contributor - Level 1

Same issue

I had the same issue. Running Logic 10.4. I noticed my control button was lit all of the time. It has gone off recently but I don't know what caused it to change behavior. As far as assigning the function keys to key commands I found the video to not work as described for me. I found that holding the control key is unnecessary when selecting one of the function key to assign a KC.

My control button stays lit

I watched the video on ctrl-function keys to change tools. It worked exactly as the video described, but the CTRL button lights up and stays lit up. The F1 button light toggles on and off after alternate presses, but CTRL is on. Won't go off until I quit Logic.

The programming sequence is press CTRL then press F1 - do not lift up CTRL until after pressing the function key. If you look in the little box you will see that the sequence of key presses are actually MIDI note on commands.

The only thing that should be listening to MIDI channel 1 from X-Touch INT MIDI port is Logic.

As an experiment I had Miroslav Philharmonik listen to the X-Touch and fiddled around using the X-Touch as a giant orchestra pad - but that would not typically be the case.

Check whatever MIDI instrument is playing notes and make sure it is not listening to X-Touch INT MIDI port...
Logic Pro X 10.4.6, X-Touch 1.15, XR18 1.5, macOS 10.14.5

Emagic - Logic Control - manual

I found a copy of the eMagic Logic Control manual.

Handy little chart of all the switches and LEDs on the device. I have modified it a bit...

On my Mac I can use the 'send midi' command to flash the CONTROL light like this

sendmidi dev X-Touch raw hex 90 48 01

or turn off

sendmidi dev X-Touch raw hex 90 48 00

Most switches on the X-Touch are also LEDs, unlike the Logic CONTROL
LED Off is 0x00 - LED On is 0x7f - LED Flash is 0x01

ID	Switch	LED	Function
00 • • REC/RDY Ch. 1
01 • • REC/RDY Ch. 2
02 • • REC/RDY Ch. 3
03 • • REC/RDY Ch. 4
04 • • REC/RDY Ch. 5
05 • • REC/RDY Ch. 6