Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

DAW routing question

currently using X32R as DAW interface over USB. By default, The USB X-Live card taps into the input of all 32 input channels right after the A/D and supplies it over USB to the DAW...before also running the signal through whatever path is configured in the X32R. Fine so far..

I am thinking about buying the Lynx AES16e-50 card to have lower latency and perhaps a bit more reliable. Its not clear to me how the routing will be with that setup. I will need a way to tap into all 32 inputs on the X32R and send that signal to the AES50 port that is connected to the Lynx card. My hope is that I will be able BOTH send the signal to the Lynx over AES50, as well as mix those signals int he X32R for a monitor mix there.

Can anyone help me with the routing I would need to be able to accomplish that or similar?
Tags (1)
SteveSchow Super Contributor - Level 2 2019-01-21

2019-01-21

DAW routing question

currently using X32R as DAW interface over USB. By default, The USB X-Live card taps into the input of all 32 input channels right after the A/D and supplies it over USB to the DAW...before also running the signal through whatever path is configured in the X32R. Fine so far..

I am thinking about buying the Lynx AES16e-50 card to have lower latency and perhaps a bit more reliable. Its not clear to me how the routing will be with that setup. I will need a way to tap into all 32 inputs on the X32R and send that signal to the AES50 port that is connected to the Lynx card. My hope is that I will be able BOTH send the signal to the Lynx over AES50, as well as mix those signals int he X32R for a monitor mix there.

Can anyone help me with the routing I would need to be able to accomplish that or similar?

• 0 Kudos
  • 49 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: DAW routing question

Hey Steve, that Lynx AES16e-50 card is configured to receive 16 mono channels of AES/EBU, not AES50 (see here).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

The -50 version of the card will do 32 channels. As for routing you'd just make the AES50A\B socket outputs the same as the cardout tab. That will tap signals straight after the ADC. If you want to include the console processing (eq and comp etc) in the send to the DAW, you'd need to stage DOs from each channel with tap points set post that processing, then dump those blocks into the AES50 tab.

Paul there are three versions of the card, look at the third model down on that page you linked to, 32 channel AES50

i definitely do NOT want the x32 mixer to effect the sound going to daw, I want tap points like usb mode before it hits the mixer and use the mixer just for monitoring outside the daw.

the router config in x32edit confuses the hell out of me could you perhaps give me explicit instructions? I was looking in there trying to figure it out but I wasn’t figuring it out
Contributor - Level 3

(Assuming you're using the AES50-A socket on the console to connect to the Lynx Card)

Routing>AES50A
Output1-8: Local1-8
Output9-16: Local9-16
OUtput17-32: Whatever other signals you've got coming into the console. The X32R only has 16 local preamps, so I'm not sure where you're getting your other signals. AuxIn1-6\T for the aux sockets and AES50B 1-16 if other stageboxes would be the other relevant blocks.
Volunteer Moderator

Steve Schow;159138 wrote:
Paul there are three versions of the card, look at the third model down on that page you linked to, 32 channel AES50

Oops! I didn't read far enough down the page. Glad Craig got you the answer.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

I can't see any advantage of AES against USB, except longer cable run... Latency? I doubt so, or minimalistic. Besides, with the X-Live SD recording mode, you can also leave your laptop at home... Am I missing something here?

Craig Fowler;159139 wrote:
(Assuming you're using the AES50-A socket on the console to connect to the Lynx Card)

Routing>AES50A
Output1-8: Local1-8
Output9-16: Local9-16
OUtput17-32: Whatever other signals you've got coming into the console. The X32R only has 16 local preamps, so I'm not sure where you're getting your other signals. AuxIn1-6\T for the aux sockets and AES50B 1-16 if other stageboxes would be the other relevant blocks.

thanks Craig I will look into that today. In answer to your question, I also have an sd8, so 24 inputs total not including aux which I also might use a couple until I get another sd8 or maybe a DL16

Luc Henrion;159152 wrote:
I can't see any advantage of AES against USB, except longer cable run... Latency? I doubt so, or minimalistic. Besides, with the X-Live SD recording mode, you can also leave your laptop at home... Am I missing something here?

The x-live will still remain in my x32 and could always be used for a live show that way.

My computer, which is a dual processor 12 core Mac pro at 3.33ghz, cannot get better then 10ms RTL through x-live without stuttering audio. And that’s not even trying to do 32 channels at a time. Reports have been the lynx can acheive under 3ms RTL, combined with .8 ms latency of the x32 converters equals 3.1ms RTL. And it’s generally reported to be a more reliable solution then usb also. Long cable runs would be another benefit but not really the main point. Lynx is well known for achieving low latency and meanwhile the x32 is just using built in usb drivers on OS X, it can’t possibly compare to pci results
Volunteer Moderator

Steve Schow;159154 wrote:
My computer, which is a dual processor 12 core Mac pro at 3.33ghz, cannot get better then 10ms RTL through x-live without stuttering audio.

Interesting, I’m pretty sure that my iMac late 2015 can do better than that.... I’ll do a proper measurement soon’ish when I’ve settled down in my new “studio”.

Reports have been the lynx can acheive under 3ms RTL, combined with .8 ms latency of the x32 converters equals 3.1ms RTL.

You mean 3.8ms?

However, 3.1ms could technically still be correct. The 0.8ms is the total x32 RTL including the dsp but excluding any inserted fx. Since the converters doesn’t pass through the dsp the latency in your application it ought to be lower than 0.8ms.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
    Go to page