Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

DN32-live virtual sound check in Midas mixer - how to fast forward?

I recently upgraded my Midas M32R firmware to 3.11 then installed the Klark Teknik DN32-Live card to allow multitrack recording to SD cards. I let the thing roll through a whole show that my band played, set breaks & all, placing no mark points along the way. Now I'm wondering how to quickly navigate the nearly 3 hours of material. I can't seem to find anyway to fast forward through the file. Playback at real-time seems to be the only option.

Tags (1)
Bruce_Gray Contributor - Level 2 2019-07-08

2019-07-08

DN32-live virtual sound check in Midas mixer - how to fast forward?

I recently upgraded my Midas M32R firmware to 3.11 then installed the Klark Teknik DN32-Live card to allow multitrack recording to SD cards. I let the thing roll through a whole show that my band played, set breaks & all, placing no mark points along the way. Now I'm wondering how to quickly navigate the nearly 3 hours of material. I can't seem to find anyway to fast forward through the file. Playback at real-time seems to be the only option.

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: DN32-live virtual sound check in Midas mixer - how to fast forward?

@Bruce_Gray 

Hi Bruce, welcome to the forum.

The M32/X32 mixers do not offer good navigation controls for playing back XLive SD card recordings. I use X32Xlive_Wav by @PatrickGMaillot to cut the multitrack wav sessions into individual track files and then import them into a DAW. Some DAWs can import multichannel wav files directly but it would usually be necessary to assemble the whole recording from the individual 4GB wav sections.

At the end of Patrick's webpage, he describes a shuttle controller he made for this purpose.

Triber Contributor

Hello!

Unfortunately, you cannot fast forward with the DN32-Live card. However, you can set placement markers from the console under SETUP > CARD > ADD MARKER. This will place a marker that you can select during playback to fast forward to that specific mark. 

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the tips and the welcome Rex!  Patrick G Maillot's do-it-yourself shuttle looks really clever, but more complicated than I'm prepared for at this time.  Good to know that it's not just me that's overlooking something simple.

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Troy.  It looks like mark points are the best way to quickly navigate.  In a couple of days my band mates are planning to sit, listen, & critique our show.  Sounds like my job in the meantime is sit down with a beverage, play the file & add markers between songs.

I'm hoping that whoever writes the firmware for the Midas system's may soon add either some transport controls or at least a place to enter a time address to quickly jump to. 

This seems to be an oversight on an otherwise quantum leap to the boards capabilites.

Contributor - Level 3

Hello, Simpler jog functionality is also available as a simple Windows app, using X32Jog4Xlive. An X/M32 encoder can be used for jogging forward/backward in XLive (or DN32-Live) cards/audio files without extracting the audio from SD card. https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32#TOC-X32Jog4Xlive -Patrick -Patrick