Recording

Highlighted

Dante card to split audio

Contributor - Level 2
Hi,

This is my first post (so be gentle haha). I did a quick search on this but could not find the answer.

I heard that using Dante can split the signal coming into a digital to multiple mixers. If that is possible, how would I do that?

My church currently is broadcasting our services and I want to provide the broadcast team there own mix independent from FOH. the signal flow, if Dante does what I heard it does, will be...

Inputs > DL32 > Dante > M32- FOH > PA
Dante > X32 - Studio > ProTools > X32 > Broadcast

Thanks for you help
Sal
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Dante card to split audio

Contributor - Level 3
Yes, Dante can work that way. However (one of) its biggest strengths is that it allows inter-connectivity between different kinds of consoles. Given you're using an M32 and X32, you could ignore Dante altogether and just run AES50 between both consoles.

Where Dante would be useful is if you didn't have the X32 in the studio, then you could run Dante straight into Protools (providing whoever is mixing the livestream is happy to mix in Protools as opposed to the X32 surface, and Protools could output to whatever your broadcast equipment is.)

Volunteer Moderator
Please correct me if I read your diagram wrong, but there is no way to connect the dl32 directly to a a dante network without the aid of at least one m/x32 mixer.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
Craig Fowler;150428 wrote:
Yes, Dante can work that way. However (one of) its biggest strengths is that it allows inter-connectivity between different kinds of consoles. Given you're using an M32 and X32, you could ignore Dante altogether and just run AES50 between both consoles.

Where Dante would be useful is if you didn't have the X32 in the studio, then you could run Dante straight into Protools (providing whoever is mixing the livestream is happy to mix in Protools as opposed to the X32 surface, and Protools could output to whatever your broadcast equipment is.)

Would you know what Dante Card Specifically that would be?

Contributor - Level 3
You'd run Mics>DL32>M32. M32 contains the dante card, specifically the DN32-DANTE. Ethernet from the Dante card runs into your Protools machine. Use DVS + Controller to set up the channel mapping (presumably 32x32,) then in ProTools select DVS as the interface (at least for inputs, for outputs you'd use whatever you need for broadcast\monitoring. Of course then you have to mix in Protools using Protools plugins. This also frees up the X32 console from the studio console to use for monitors on stage.

Contributor - Level 1
Nice! Thanks for the helpful tips!
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors