Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

Did I damage by Uphoria?

Contributor - Level 2
So I accidentally fed an STRONG line level signal to my Uphoria 402 when it was set to instrument, WITH the midas preamps on, which not surprisingly, created a wall of clipping. Now I feel like I hear slight distortion in my recordings that I did not notice before. Did I damage my equipment?
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Did I damage by Uphoria?

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forum. I doubt that anything is damaged. Those Midas designed preamps are the same as what is in the X32 and I've had the occasional strong (clipping) signals happen without any resulting damage. If you are still concern I would suggest you contact CARE (contact info is in my signature below).
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Hey Paul, Thanks for the reply. I'm actually not using the pre-amps because the input signal is so strong. Is there any chance I damaged anything else in the signal-path besides the pre-amps?

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Adam

The only people that would really know the answer to your question would be the techs at CARE. I would contact them.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator

Contributor - Level 2
Hey Adam,

Like Paul, I don't think anything should have been damaged, but the 'accident' has likely raised your listening awareness such that perhaps you are now hearing things that were possibly there before.

- Curious as to what the source of the 'STRONG line level' signal may have been(?)
- Is what you perceive as slight distortion present on both recorded channels or just one?
- When you hear the distortion are you using a mic, guitar or other type of source?

If you had used the 'Line' level cable pictured below, yes you probably did extensive damage to the Uphoria.

Contributor - Level 2
Wow Mark, that's quite a chord! Its certainly possible the distortion I'm hearing was there all along, and I'm hoping that's the case.

The signal was from a record player after an RIAA pre-amp for some vinyl I wanted to record. Even though this signal is supposed to be line level, it peaks even when the 204 is set to line level and pads are off. Unfortunately, the incident that concerns me, I had it set to instrument, with pads off, AND the pre-amps at about half. It sounded awesome.

Do you guys find care works

Contributor - Level 2
Care is not responding to any of my emails. Hasn't since before Christmas. Is that normal?

Volunteer Moderator
Pretty smart cable utilizing pre-existing cabeling at the venue Smiley Tongue

Mark Farrell;157502 wrote:
If you had used the 'Line' level cable pictured below, yes you probably did extensive damage to the Uphoria.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors