Highlighted
Triber Moderator

Different ways to connect to your X AIR Mixer

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share with you my in depth connection guide/directions for making remote connections to the X AIR line of digital mixers. I was able to make all six of these connections successfully using my windows 7 (64bit) PC but the steps apply to what you would do with a MAC PC. The connection steps are listed in order. Feel free to post your connection findings in this thread as well.

Alright, here we go.

External Router with the XR18: ETHERNET MODE

Option #1 - External router hard-wired to the XR18, control device (computer/tablet/phone) connected wirelessly to the external router. (ETHERNET MODE)

- Make sure ext router is setup properly and can accept DHCP for automatic IP addressing or STATIC for manual input of IP address, subnet mask and gateway.
- Open X AIR EDIT App and check the SETUP/LAN tab has the LAN-MODE set to DHCP for automatic IP addressing or STATIC for manual input of the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway of your router. To make changes between STATIC, DHCP or DHCP SERVER you must connect directly to the XR18 via ACCESS POINT or ETHERNET. (Options #5 and #6 below))
- Connect Ethernet cable from ETHERNET PORT on the XR18 to your External Router, set REMOTE switch on the front of mixer to ETHERNET.
- Load X AIR EDIT App, after computer establishes a connection to the External Router's Network you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Option #2 - External router hard-wired to the XR18, control device (computer) connected hard-wired into the external router. (ETHERNET MODE)

- Make sure your computer and external router are setup properly in order to accept DHCP for automatic IP addressing or STATIC for manual input of IP address, subnet mask and gateway.
- Set REMOTE switch on the front of the XR18 to ETHERNET
- Open X AIR EDIT App and check the SETUP/LAN tab has the LAN-MODE set to DHCP for automatic IP addressing (or STATIC for manual input of the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway of your router. To make changes between STATIC, DHCP or DHCP SERVER you must connect directly to the XR18 via ACCESS POINT or ETHERNET. (See options #5 and #6 below)
- Connect Ethernet cable from ETHERNET PORT on the XR18 to your External Router, set REMOTE switch on the front of mixer to ETHERNET.
- Connect 2nd Ethernet Cable from your computer to your External Router
- In the X AIR EDIT App, after your computer establishes a connection to the External Router's Network, you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Option #3 - External Router connected wirelessly to the XR18, control device (computer) connected hard-wired to the external router. (WIFI CLIENT MODE)

- Connect to the XR18 (ETHERNET or ACCESS POINT) to setup WiFi Client mode. Make sure REMOTE switch on the front of the XR18 is set to that type of connection.
- In the SETUP/WLAN tab, select/input your External Router's Security Encryption, SSID and PASSCODE. Set MODE to DHCP to automatically get IP address or set to STATIC to manually input your IP address, Subnet Mask and Gateway.
- Disconnect the XR18 from it's ETHERNET or ACCESS POINT connection in the X AIR EDIT App. (Remove ETHERNET cable if used for WiFi Client setup)
- Switch to WIFI CLIENT in the REMOTE section on the front of the XR18.
- Connect your computer to the external router with a hard-wired Ethernet Cable.
- Load X AIR EDIT App, after computer establishes a connection to the External Router's Network you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Option #4 - External Router connected wirelessly to the XR18, control device (computer/tablet/phone) connected wirelessly to the external router. (WIFI CLIENT MODE)

- Connect to the XR18 (ETHERNET or ACCESS POINT) to setup WiFi Client mode. Make sure REMOTE switch on the front of the XR18 is set to that type of connection.
- In the SETUP/WLAN tab, select/input your External Router's Security Encryption, SSID and PASSCODE. Set MODE to DHCP to automatically get IP address or set to STATIC to manually input your IP address, Subnet Mask and Gateway.
- Disconnect the XR18 from it's ETHERNET or ACCESS POINT connection in the X AIR EDIT App. (Remove ETHERNET cable if used for WiFi Client setup)
- Connect your computer/tablet/phone to the external router's network.
- Load X AIR EDIT App, after computer/tablet/phone establishes a connection to the External Router's Network you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Option #5 - Computer with the XR18: ETHERNET MODE

- Make sure LAN port on computer is set to automatically obtain IP addresses. (TCP/IP options in Network management Settings) and that LAN MODE is set to DHCP to automatically get IP addressing from your computer. You have to be connected to the XR18 to change this setting. (Easy access point mode connection)
- Connect ETHERNET cable from XR18 to computer.
- Flip REMOTE switch in the front of the XR18 to ETHERNET.
- Load X AIR EDIT App, after computer establishes a connection to the XR18 you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Option #6 - Access Point wit the XR18: ACCESS POINT MODE

- Flip REMOTE switch in the front of the XR18 to ACCESS POINT
- Position the XR18 antenna towards the ceiling.
- Connect to the XR18 ACCESS POINT (XR18-XX-XX-XX) WiFi Network.
- Load X AIR EDIT App, after computer/tablet/phone establishes a connection to the ACCESS POINT WiFi Network you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Hope this clears up any questions with how to connect your devices.
Michael Lapke
Michael_Lapke Triber Moderator 2015-03-18

2015-03-18

Different ways to connect to your X AIR Mixer

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share with you my in depth connection guide/directions for making remote connections to the X AIR line of digital mixers. I was able to make all six of these connections successfully using my windows 7 (64bit) PC but the steps apply to what you would do with a MAC PC. The connection steps are listed in order. Feel free to post your connection findings in this thread as well.

Alright, here we go.

External Router with the XR18: ETHERNET MODE

Option #1 - External router hard-wired to the XR18, control device (computer/tablet/phone) connected wirelessly to the external router. (ETHERNET MODE)

- Make sure ext router is setup properly and can accept DHCP for automatic IP addressing or STATIC for manual input of IP address, subnet mask and gateway.
- Open X AIR EDIT App and check the SETUP/LAN tab has the LAN-MODE set to DHCP for automatic IP addressing or STATIC for manual input of the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway of your router. To make changes between STATIC, DHCP or DHCP SERVER you must connect directly to the XR18 via ACCESS POINT or ETHERNET. (Options #5 and #6 below))

Option #2 - External router hard-wired to the XR18, control device (computer) connected hard-wired into the external router. (ETHERNET MODE)

- Make sure your computer and external router are setup properly in order to accept DHCP for automatic IP addressing or STATIC for manual input of IP address, subnet mask and gateway.
- Set REMOTE switch on the front of the XR18 to ETHERNET
- Open X AIR EDIT App and check the SETUP/LAN tab has the LAN-MODE set to DHCP for automatic IP addressing (or STATIC for manual input of the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway of your router. To make changes between STATIC, DHCP or DHCP SERVER you must connect directly to the XR18 via ACCESS POINT or ETHERNET. (See options #5 and #6 below)
- Connect 2nd Ethernet Cable from your computer to your External Router
- In the X AIR EDIT App, after your computer establishes a connection to the External Router's Network, you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Option #3 - External Router connected wirelessly to the XR18, control device (computer) connected hard-wired to the external router. (WIFI CLIENT MODE)

- Connect your computer to the external router with a hard-wired Ethernet Cable.

Option #4 - External Router connected wirelessly to the XR18, control device (computer/tablet/phone) connected wirelessly to the external router. (WIFI CLIENT MODE)

- Connect your computer/tablet/phone to the external router's network.
- Load X AIR EDIT App, after computer/tablet/phone establishes a connection to the External Router's Network you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Option #5 - Computer with the XR18: ETHERNET MODE

- Make sure LAN port on computer is set to automatically obtain IP addresses. (TCP/IP options in Network management Settings) and that LAN MODE is set to DHCP to automatically get IP addressing from your computer. You have to be connected to the XR18 to change this setting. (Easy access point mode connection)
- Connect ETHERNET cable from XR18 to computer.
- Flip REMOTE switch in the front of the XR18 to ETHERNET.
- Load X AIR EDIT App, after computer establishes a connection to the XR18 you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Option #6 - Access Point wit the XR18: ACCESS POINT MODE

- Flip REMOTE switch in the front of the XR18 to ACCESS POINT
- Position the XR18 antenna towards the ceiling.
- Connect to the XR18 ACCESS POINT (XR18-XX-XX-XX) WiFi Network.
- Load X AIR EDIT App, after computer/tablet/phone establishes a connection to the ACCESS POINT WiFi Network you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Hope this clears up any questions with how to connect your devices.

• 1 Kudo
  • 141 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Different ways to connect to your X AIR Mixer

Hi Michael,

Are there any ways to hard wire an Android tablet to the XR-18?

I am debating buying/trying the BobJGear USB to Ethernet adapter so I can connect hard wire to my XR-18 with an Android.

Either:
Android --> hard wire to External Router --> External Router hard wire to XR-18 Ethernet port

or Android --> hardwire to XR-18 Ethernet port

Thanks for any insight,
- Jay
Triber Moderator

Jay Marr;44262 wrote:
Hi Michael,

I am debating buying/trying the BobJGear USB to Ethernet adapter so I can connect hard wire to my XR-18 with an Android.

Either:
Android --> hard wire to External Router --> External Router hard wire to XR-18 Ethernet port

Thanks for any insight,
- Jay

Dear Jay,

I've went down to my local electronics warehouse just yesterday and was hoping to buy a mini USB to Ethernet adapter so I could try this out myself with my android tablet. Unfortunately they didn't have anything like that in stock.

Until I can get my hands on one of these adaptors I'm not sure if it will actually work. I've not seen any proof that the port on any Android tablet can be used for Ethernet connectivity. However I know these type of adaptors exist, so there is a possibility that it can work. I'm sure the tablet you are using will play a key factor in this as well.

If you find anything regarding this please let me know.
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

Jay Marr;44262 wrote:
Hi Michael,

Either:

Thanks for any insight,
- Jay

I'm really interested in finding this out as well.
Contributor - Level 2

Hi,
Does option #5 (XR18 to computer via Ethernet cable) require a cross-over cable or just the straight cat5 cable?

Thanks,
Lou
Contributor - Level 2

Straight through cable works just fine.
Contributor - Level 2

One important thing that I'll add for option 1 (and sometimes 2 depending on the router) is that you need to make sure you disable Isolation Mode on the router. Many wireless routers (especially Linksys and Netgear) have isolation mode turned on by default which prevents connected clients (wireless and sometimes even wired) from communicating with each other. Obviously, this would prevent your control device from being able to communicate with the XR18.
Contributor - Level 2

You can order an adapter from Amazon.
Contributor - Level 2

Try as I might, I have not been successful connecting to my xr18 via an external router hard-wired to the unit using Michael Lapke's directions. I'll explain what I'm using and doing and maybe someone can see the error(s) of my ways.

The router is a Belkin, Model #F5D8233. A few years old for sure (last firmware update was 8/2008). I am wanting to use the Belkin because its range is better than the xr18's (at least this is what the Wifi Analyzer on my android is showing me) and I am hoping that a stronger signal = less latency, increased reliability, etc.

Michael's Guidance: Make sure the router is setup properly and can accept DHCP for automatic IP addressing, or STATIC for manual input of IP address, subnet mask and gateway.

I set the router up as an access point in STATIC mode.

Belkin Guidance:The router can be configured to act strictly as an access point, bypassing all of the routing and firewall functions. To do so, select "Enable" and type in the IP address you want the Access Point to have. When using the Router as an Access Point, you must specify an IP address for the Access Point. This IP address must fall into the same range as the network that you will be connecting it to.

I used IP: 192.168.2.254, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1, then clicked “Enable”. I then clicked "Apply Changes" and was kicked out, but got right back in by using the new IP. I used these IP, subnet mask and gateway numbers because they are the numbers that my router defaulted to when I was setting it up as the access point.

Michael's Guidance: - Open X AIR EDIT App and check the SETUP/LAN tab has the LAN-MODE set to DHCP for automatic IP addressing or STATIC for manual input of the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway of your router. To make changes between STATIC, DHCP or DHCP SERVER you must connect directly to the XR18 via ACCESS POINT or ETHERNET. (Options #5 and #6 below)

The 2nd sentence here is not 100% clear to me. I'm assuming it means that I need to:
1 - connect X Air Edit to the mixer in Access Point mode.
2 - click on the LAN tab to type in the new IP, subnet mask and gateway addresses, and, click on the STATIC option.
3 - sync the PC (actually iMac) > Console.
Is this correct?

Michael's Guidance - Connect Ethernet cable from ETHERNET PORT on the XR18 to your External Router, set REMOTE switch on the front of mixer to ETHERNET.

Do I need to turn the xr18 off, then back on? Should I just leave it on?

Michael's Guidance - Load X AIR EDIT App, after computer establishes a connection to the External Router's Network you will see the mixer pop up in the SETUP/CONNECT tab.

Again, not 100% clear to me and again I am assuming. In that this paragraph says to Load X Air Edit app, I was apparently supposed to quit the app at some point. When was that to happen? I quit the app after typing in the IP mask and gateway numbers, then syncing from computer to console. Regardless, when I reopened X Air Edit, my external router's network never popped up in the Connect tab.

One more possibly related question: There is a blank field next to the Manual IP button on the X Air Edit Setup/Connect tab. Am I supposed to type in the router's IP here? For what is this field?

Frustrated in Ohio.

By the way, I could find nothing re: Isolation Mode on the set up pages of the router.
Volunteer Moderator

Hi Mark,

A couple of things to try

I used IP: 192.168.2.254, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1, then clicked “Enable”.

The first 3 numbers of the IP and the gateway should be identical, if I remember correctly and the 4th has to be unique. On my X32 Rack, I always leave the gateway blank, since it is optional.

Also the IP on the XR18 has to have its IP with the first 3 numbers identical to above and the 4th one unique.

For instance, with my setup, my router is 192.168.20.1, my primary X32 Rack is 192.168.20.4, secondary Rack 192.168.20.10 and my PC and android tablet gets its IP from the DHCP of the router that has the range of 192.168.20.100 - 192.168.20.150. Therefore all devices on the network have the first 3 numbers identical and the 4th number unique to each device.

Hope that helps

Paul
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
    Go to page