Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Does XR-18 work OK with the 2018 iPad Pro with USB-C?

I got one of these iPad Pros as a gift (512 GB!) and it would be great to get it working with Cubasis and the XR-18 as a silent DAW in my closet studio. However I've not been able to find any reference to this specific model of iPad at Behringer's site. The iPad seems new enough that I couldn't find any YouTube videos with it driving an XR-18.

The older Lightning interface iPads need you to get the "Apple Camera Connection Kit" to connect up the XR-18. Guess what, Apple doesn't sell a "Camera Connection Kit" for the USB-C models, that I could find anyway. There are some third party USB-C to SDCARD and USB connectors, and you'd THINK these would work, but you could also be wrong.

While I'd love to assume that all these things will actually work properly because the cables fit together physically, I've been around the block enough times to know that doesn't always hold true, and I don't need to lay out the cash only to get 6 hours of frustration followed by me returning the product as I can't use it.

My goals are to use the iPad for mixing (via Wi-Fi, most likely no issue there) and as an audio/MIDI DAW with Cubasis.
GaryWorsham Contributor - Level 2 2019-02-05

2019-02-05

Does XR-18 work OK with the 2018 iPad Pro with USB-C?

I got one of these iPad Pros as a gift (512 GB!) and it would be great to get it working with Cubasis and the XR-18 as a silent DAW in my closet studio. However I've not been able to find any reference to this specific model of iPad at Behringer's site. The iPad seems new enough that I couldn't find any YouTube videos with it driving an XR-18.

The older Lightning interface iPads need you to get the "Apple Camera Connection Kit" to connect up the XR-18. Guess what, Apple doesn't sell a "Camera Connection Kit" for the USB-C models, that I could find anyway. There are some third party USB-C to SDCARD and USB connectors, and you'd THINK these would work, but you could also be wrong.

While I'd love to assume that all these things will actually work properly because the cables fit together physically, I've been around the block enough times to know that doesn't always hold true, and I don't need to lay out the cash only to get 6 hours of frustration followed by me returning the product as I can't use it.

My goals are to use the iPad for mixing (via Wi-Fi, most likely no issue there) and as an audio/MIDI DAW with Cubasis.

Rising Star - Level 2

Re: Does XR-18 work OK with the 2018 iPad Pro with USB-C?

There's a good chance it will work. I copied this from Apple's site:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connect to other devices

The USB-C port on iPad Pro allows connections to a variety of devices. For example, you can connect a digital camera or the Apple USB-C to SD Card Reader to import photos to your iPad Pro. Other USB devices you can connect to iPad Pro include these:

• Hubs and docks
  • Keyboards
  • Audio interfaces and MIDI devices
  • External storage devices to import photos and videos
  • USB to Ethernet adapters

Depending on the device, you might need an adapter. Here are some common connections:

• If the device that you're connecting to has a USB-C port, all you need is a cable with USB-C connectors on each end, such as the cable that came with iPad Pro.
  • If the device has a USB-C connector, you can plug it directly into the iPad Pro USB-C port.
  • If the device has a USB-A connector, you can plug it into the Apple USB-C to USB adapter, then plug the adapter into the iPad Pro USB-C port.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Be a guinea pig😉 and let us all know if it works.