Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Ducking

Any one messed with the XR18 Ducking settings? Typical use is ducking music based on MC mic.
Are the release and attacks labeled correctly in this mode? Seems backwards. Also noticed that the threashold would trigger on the music source as well as the side chain input of the MC mic. Pretty sure it shouldn't do that.

Thoughts?

Youtube.com/MusiciansPro • Facebook.com/groups/BehringerXair • Facebook.com/groups/MidasBehringerPro
SeanThomas Contributor - Level 2 2015-03-14

2015-03-14

Ducking

Any one messed with the XR18 Ducking settings? Typical use is ducking music based on MC mic.
Are the release and attacks labeled correctly in this mode? Seems backwards. Also noticed that the threashold would trigger on the music source as well as the side chain input of the MC mic. Pretty sure it shouldn't do that.

Thoughts?

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Ducking

The ducking feature seems to be one single bug. I hope they fix it soon.
Contributor - Level 2

Florian Gerstenlauer;43539 wrote:
The ducking feature seems to be one single bug. I hope they fix it soon.

I got it to work for my application, but it's tricky. I'm sure it will be refined.
Youtube.com/MusiciansPro • Facebook.com/groups/BehringerXair • Facebook.com/groups/MidasBehringerPro
Contributor - Level 2

Did you try using the comp for doing this? If so does it do the same thing?

When I have to do a smooth reduction talk-over for a MC, I use the compression section to key it.
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Contributor - Level 3

I'd guess the ducking is a placeholder that they didn't spend any time on. Dugan mixing is a promised feature, and that's essentially a major implementation of ducking.
Contributor - Level 2

The DUCKER is in the Gate section.
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Sean for all of the great examples.
Appreciate it.
Contributor - Level 2

Sean - Just to clarify,

Does the duck work?

If using another channel as the Key Src, does it duck?

And if you would not mind testing this, does the Key Src. work in Comp?
"Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Contributor - Level 2

Yes it does work, but it's a bit funky.

When set to key from a side-chain source (MC mic), the Ducker still reacts to IT'S source (the music).
So I had to turn the preamp down and the volume up to keep the music from triggering the ducker.

I think the labels are backwards on ATTK and REL too.
Contributor - Level 2

Updates and Information

Three years later, but since this was still the first link I found when looking for information on Ducking in XAir, I thought I might chime in with some updates.

• Attack and Release are affecting the correct things now.
  • If you're attempting to duck a Stereo-Linked pair of channels, make sure you set the correct side-chain source on BOTH channels. It doesn't do this automatically, which can lead to having the key source be both the side-chain channel as well as the input from the channel itself.
  • The side-chain source is pre-mute, which can lead to what I'll call "phantom ducking" if the source channel is not up in the mix.

That second one was such a great break-through when I found it. The "KeySrc" seems to be one of the only parameters that isn't automatically made identical between linked channels.