Contributor - Level 2

Encoders only updating the current Layer

I'm wondering if someone can confirm the behavior I'm seeing?

It seems that the Encoders only update themselves from MIDI Rx data when the encoder being updated is on the active Layer.

To reproduce: let's say you have encoder #1 set to CC1 with a value of 50 in Layer A, and CC9 with a value of 60 in Layer B. If the current layer is Layer A and the X-Touch Mini receives data on CC9 updating it to 70, when you switch to Layer B, it will NOT have the value 70 that you just sent, but will have the original value 60 it had the last time you were on Layer B.

Can somebody else verify this?

Thanks!
Tags (1)
BenVigil Contributor - Level 2 2015-09-02

2015-09-02

Encoders only updating the current Layer

I'm wondering if someone can confirm the behavior I'm seeing?

It seems that the Encoders only update themselves from MIDI Rx data when the encoder being updated is on the active Layer.

To reproduce: let's say you have encoder #1 set to CC1 with a value of 50 in Layer A, and CC9 with a value of 60 in Layer B. If the current layer is Layer A and the X-Touch Mini receives data on CC9 updating it to 70, when you switch to Layer B, it will NOT have the value 70 that you just sent, but will have the original value 60 it had the last time you were on Layer B.

Can somebody else verify this?

Thanks!

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Encoders only updating the current Layer

This is currently the correct behaviour.

A feature request has been logged for this.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

While you're at it, perhaps a feature could be added to send a MIDI command when the Layer is changed.
Volunteer Moderator

Ben Vigil;58447 wrote:
While you're at it, perhaps a feature could be added to send a MIDI command when the Layer is changed.

Do you have a proper work case/cases for this?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Do you mean a "use case"?

If an application is trying to optimize communications with the MIDI controller and minimize MIDI traffic/IO to reduce latency it would be helpful to know what Layer the controller is currently displaying. IOW, there's no reason to update the controller UI with messages that aren't relevant at the moment. With a notification that the Layer changed, the host application can then update the controller appropriately with greater efficiency.

The initial problem I reported above could also have been solved if the there was a way to know what Layer the controller was currently displaying.
Contributor - Level 2

Robert Lofgren;58449 wrote:
Do you have a proper work case/cases for this?

OK I'll bite.

As a programmer I need to show the correct values on the LEDs (incuding the rings around the rotary encoders) on the x-touch (mini).

So I either need to be able to be able to set the leds persistently on both layers OR I need to be informed when the user switches layer so I can refresh the leds for the currently set layer.

At the moment the status of the leds is NOT persistent and NOT addressable directly NOR am I getting a message when the user switches layer.
(BTW: also the documentation does not explain the MIDI codes for the MACKIE mode)

The smallest delta would be to send NOTE messages for the layer buttons. So let's make that the feature request.
Contributor - Level 1

Robert Lofgren;58427 wrote:
This is currently the correct behaviour.

A feature request has been logged for this.

Any word on when this might make it into a firmware update? I'm using this controller with a DAW, and for the layers to be useful at all, the controller needs to listen to changes on the CC channels of both layers, regardless of which is shown.
Contributor - Level 2

Another bump for this one

Can I add my voice to this one please.

The fact that only the current layer updates makes having the two layers fairly useless if you're working with MIDI moving in both directions, which is what makes having endless encoders and LED rings really worthwhile. So I would have thought that fixing this problem should be a priority. The X-Touch Mini is essentially 'broken' without it.

Cheers, Ian.
Contributor - Level 1

Another bump

Please, Behringer, just pay a little attention to this and make this product more useful.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

This bug/request is almost 4 years old.

It's highly unlikely it will get any attention....much like a Mac editor. The X-Touch Mini is clearly in maintenance mode (i.e. just manufacture a few more every once in a while). The fact that Behringer had no stock in the US from October thru January for the ENTIRE holiday season should tell you how important the X-Touch Mini is to Behringers bottom line.

It isn't.