Contributor - Level 2

Frustration ruled this day........Help Please

Today I decided to record our group on my XAir 16...
I set up all the equipment for a good signal to the recorder
I recorded our music....
On play back (The levels were good) all i got was the sound of the group that sounded like it was way far away and almost like feedback.......
Nothing I did made a difference....
I did record once before and everything worked fine.....
dont know whats up......
the unit is very intermittent in reading the jump drive also.......ANYONE KNOW WHY...????

Can someone what settings I can use to record and play back.....
If it is on the forum I cannot find it.......
Im frustrated and disappointed at this point....any help is appreciated........Thanks
DanGallant Contributor - Level 2 2018-03-30

2018-03-30

Frustration ruled this day........Help Please

Today I decided to record our group on my XAir 16...
I set up all the equipment for a good signal to the recorder
I recorded our music....
On play back (The levels were good) all i got was the sound of the group that sounded like it was way far away and almost like feedback.......
Nothing I did made a difference....
I did record once before and everything worked fine.....
dont know whats up......
the unit is very intermittent in reading the jump drive also.......ANYONE KNOW WHY...????

Can someone what settings I can use to record and play back.....
If it is on the forum I cannot find it.......
Im frustrated and disappointed at this point....any help is appreciated........Thanks

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Frustration ruled this day........Help Please

Some makes/types of USB drive don't work well on the XR12/16. In particular, avoid USB 3.0 drives. I get good results with Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0.

Some people have had problems with USB drives that they formatted with the normal OS drive format utilities. The free SmartDisk FAT32 Format Tool usually fixes that problem.

If you post your scene, we can see whether there are any issues with your recording setup. See here for instructions.
Volunteer Moderator

If it sounds like it is far away this could indicate a summed mono recording where one channel was out of phase, e.g. flipped polarity or similar.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Frustration

I set the recorder to left and right main along with analog settings.........I also tried numerous other settings within the recorder to no avail....
The mixer itself was not changed so I dont know whats going on.......
Could it be the USB drive...???
One would think it does NOT have much to do with how the recording is done.....??
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Dan Gallant;143277 wrote:
I set the recorder to left and right main along with analog settings.........I also tried numerous other settings within the recorder to no avail....
The mixer itself was not changed so I dont know whats going on.......
Could it be the USB drive...???
One would think it does NOT have much to do with how the recording is done.....??

Hi Dan,

Can you put a sample or two of the recordings on a filesharing site somewhere and post the link so we can have a listen? I'm assuming you tried playing them on a computer as well as the mixer to confirm it's not a playback issue with the mixer?

Also, as Rex had mentioned, post your scene file so we can have a look at your mixer settings.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Still Frustrated.....

Before I upload recording samples I have a question....

I reset my X Air 16 .....I initialized...started from scratch........
I have .wav files converted to 48.1 and when I play them I get the same sort of noise as I get with the group recording........

it plays the same way when I play the recording on a computer to..
Contributor - Level 2

Frustrated

I am leaning heavily at this point to the USB Jump Drive.........I have had one member comment on this.....
what could I buy in a jump drive that would work along with the one suggested........
could get costly looking for the right one....

Im thinking the developers of this unit fell short on how it records and plays back ....
just my opinion........otherwise its a rockin unit......
Super Contributor - Level 2

Dan Gallant;143292 wrote:
I have .wav files converted to 48.1 and when I play them I get the same sort of noise as I get with the group recording........

it plays the same way when I play the recording on a computer to..

It would take a very flaky USB drive to cause this. How are you converting the sample rate?

The XR12/16 can only record and play 16 bit stereo wav files. As you know, the sample-rate needs to match that set on the XR. Audacity can be used to perform any conversions.

Also try ripping a track from a CD and putting that on your USB drive without any conversion. Set your XR to 44.1kHz sample-rate and check that the track plays correctly.
Volunteer Moderator

Dan Gallant;143292 wrote:

I have .wav files converted to 48.1

Do you mean 44.1k or 48k?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!