Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

HELP! UMC204HS stopped working on windows10

Contributor - Level 2
Hi,
as per subject, I don't know why but since today I cannot get any outoput sound from my device.

Please note that:
- UMC204HD is set up as the only active input-output device on my pc (win 10)
- I tried to re-install the 4.38 drivers but it still doesn't work

I must say that before I faced several times troubles with the output: ie while using my DAW or using the internet browsers a lot of times I could not be able to listen music (ie on youtube) unless to close the browsers (firefox or edge) and restart them.

I tried to use the control panel to solve the audio issues but nothing happens

EDIT:
I restarted the pc twice, re-did the issue check on the control panel and finally it re-started to work again... I will let you know if the problems persists - thanks

EDIT #2
Today, again the audio stops I don't know why while I'm using the pc. I must rightclick on the speakers' icon (at the bottom right corner in the windows desktop bar) and select "solve audio problems". Then I seleck the Behringer output and I'm asked to check for a trial audio sample. If I can hear it, the problem is (temporarily - until next time it will occur) solved. If not, I must close and try to repeat the procedure until it works. Anyway at the end of the procedure, windows tells me that there is a "generic audio driver" problem. Of course there's something wrong, I don't know why but the behringer driver doesn't work fine.

EDIT #3
It looks like that, to "solve" easily the matter, everytime it happens, I must choose the properties of the behringer speakers and change the hertz frequency (from 44'100 to 48'000 - then I set it back to 44'100). With this trick the audio restarts. At least I know what I can do to have the sound again; of course it's not the real solution but it's good to know if you have some advice or if you have to update the drivers
3 REPLIES 3

Re: HELP! UMC204HS stopped working on windows10

Super Contributor - Level 2
Hi Riccardo,

This sounds very much like you have two applications both trying to set the bitrate of the interface. I reproduced this exact problem several months ago for another user who was having a problem with YouTube and EZDrummer.

Since it just recently started happening can you go back through your system log and see if any updates were applied or if any new software was installed. I recently noticed that Google Chrome no longer even asks me if I want to update, it just does it on its own.

The fact that you can get it working again by switching bitrates is an indicator that it's a bitrate conflict.

You need to be very careful when using both WASAPI and ASIO at the same time since changes made by one API don't seem to get communicated to the other API. In other words, browsers and DAWs don't work well at the same time.

Hope this helps,
Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Ken Mitchell;158205 wrote:
Hi Riccardo,

This sounds very much like you have two applications both trying to set the bitrate of the interface. I reproduced this exact problem several months ago for another user who was having a problem with YouTube and EZDrummer.

Since it just recently started happening can you go back through your system log and see if any updates were applied or if any new software was installed. I recently noticed that Google Chrome no longer even asks me if I want to update, it just does it on its own.

The fact that you can get it working again by switching bitrates is an indicator that it's a bitrate conflict.

You need to be very careful when using both WASAPI and ASIO at the same time since changes made by one API don't seem to get communicated to the other API. In other words, browsers and DAWs don't work well at the same time.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Hi Ken,
thanks for your reply; yes, as you are suggesting, I think it's a matter of conflict of different softwares with the bitrate frequency... what is strange it's that I cannot say when or what causes it... sometimes the audio doesn't work when I turn the pc on (no sound even with no open application). Sometimes it happens while I'm using Firefox (youtube, twitter, facebook... in this case the videos don't even load - and no sound of course) but my daw is not launched. For sure if I'm using Firefox and I open my daw (Cakewalk by bandlab, set on 44'100) I know I'll have trouble and I 'll have to do the short (but annoying) procedure to re-set the frequency of the speakers)
Is there a way to set the general frequency of windows (or of the internet browsers)?

Contributor - Level 2
As I posted on another thread, maybe I found an external solution to this annoying problem: a software called LOOPBE AUDIO maybe can help to solve the caudio onfilcts between the softwares (or devices)... I will try it for few days and if it's ok I will buy it...
It's something I don't particularly like (to pay to solve something that should work properly) but ok, at least I will avoid then to click on the audio properties hundreds time per day...

EDIT: I bought the full version of LoopBe audio: for me it's working fine and I solved the matter, at last
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors