Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Headphone splitter/amplifier for bluetooth hearing aids?

Some background.... At our church I mix the live stream almost every Sunday. We have two x32 boards, one downstairs for the sanctuary and one upstairs for the live stream. The downstairs guys come early, get the mics out, and are supposed to make sure everything is working. I have never ever seen anything close to a proper sound check except when I filled in for them. All the input gain is set on that board's preamps and then a digital link maps those to my board upstairs. I am at the mercy of their input settings. I only have a trim control of the gain which isn't really gain.

There are quite a few times when I have to walk down the stairs and get them to back off the gain, or increase the gain.

So I was called in to do the live stream for our Christmas program. Two performances, 23-24th. Only stream the 24th. I did a dry run on the 23rd and recorded my mix to listen and make adjustments.

On the 23rd, I had two channels that sounded really bad. One had a high frequency digital clipping noise up above 15K, and the other had static that sounded like white noise. I walked down and asked them about those channels, and they said they didn't hear any problem, it must be something upstairs. Nope, I can't find anything wrong upstairs. I get to thinking about the signal path. I decide that the noise has to be coming from the preamp or before or I would have issues with more channels.

I walk down a second time and ask to plug in and solo those channels so I can hear for myself what is going on. They won't let me. They tell me that we are in the middle of the program and that "old Jack" has his bluetooth hearing aid transmitter plugged into the board and they are soloing the mains so he can hear the program. WHAT? Seriously? What about the expensive hearing aid loop that the church spent a fortune on? Oh "Jack doesn't like that, it is noisy."

I had to hold my tongue. I was dumbfounded and just had to walk away.

• Do we typically allow congregants to plug whatever they want into the sound board?
  • If the hearing aid loop doesn't work, get it fixed.
  • If you need to troubleshoot a problem, you have hamstrung yourself by removing a very important important diagnostic tool.
  • If the bluetooth transmitter is a good solution, why not set up a little station with a headphone splitter/amplifier to plug a bunch of them into.

Question....
Is there such a thing as a Multiple Headphone splitter/amp that I could hook up to allow multiple bluetooth hearing aid transmitters to be plugged in? Maybe 10 outputs? Would need to be able to input a left and right xlr output from our board to it.

Thanks
KirkDickinson Contributor - Level 2 2019-01-02

2019-01-02

Headphone splitter/amplifier for bluetooth hearing aids?

Some background.... At our church I mix the live stream almost every Sunday. We have two x32 boards, one downstairs for the sanctuary and one upstairs for the live stream. The downstairs guys come early, get the mics out, and are supposed to make sure everything is working. I have never ever seen anything close to a proper sound check except when I filled in for them. All the input gain is set on that board's preamps and then a digital link maps those to my board upstairs. I am at the mercy of their input settings. I only have a trim control of the gain which isn't really gain.

There are quite a few times when I have to walk down the stairs and get them to back off the gain, or increase the gain.

So I was called in to do the live stream for our Christmas program. Two performances, 23-24th. Only stream the 24th. I did a dry run on the 23rd and recorded my mix to listen and make adjustments.

On the 23rd, I had two channels that sounded really bad. One had a high frequency digital clipping noise up above 15K, and the other had static that sounded like white noise. I walked down and asked them about those channels, and they said they didn't hear any problem, it must be something upstairs. Nope, I can't find anything wrong upstairs. I get to thinking about the signal path. I decide that the noise has to be coming from the preamp or before or I would have issues with more channels.

I walk down a second time and ask to plug in and solo those channels so I can hear for myself what is going on. They won't let me. They tell me that we are in the middle of the program and that "old Jack" has his bluetooth hearing aid transmitter plugged into the board and they are soloing the mains so he can hear the program. WHAT? Seriously? What about the expensive hearing aid loop that the church spent a fortune on? Oh "Jack doesn't like that, it is noisy."

I had to hold my tongue. I was dumbfounded and just had to walk away.

• Do we typically allow congregants to plug whatever they want into the sound board?
  • If the hearing aid loop doesn't work, get it fixed.
  • If you need to troubleshoot a problem, you have hamstrung yourself by removing a very important important diagnostic tool.
  • If the bluetooth transmitter is a good solution, why not set up a little station with a headphone splitter/amplifier to plug a bunch of them into.

Question....
Is there such a thing as a Multiple Headphone splitter/amp that I could hook up to allow multiple bluetooth hearing aid transmitters to be plugged in? Maybe 10 outputs? Would need to be able to input a left and right xlr output from our board to it.

Thanks

• 0 Kudos
  • 11 Replies
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Headphone splitter/amplifier for bluetooth hearing aids?

I found this on Amazon. Affordable to try out. Would be nice to have one with 8 or 10 outputs.
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HA...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000KIPT30

What would be needed to convert left and right xlr to plug into one stereo input port? Would there need to be some type of converter, or would it just need an adapter?

Would this work?
https://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Y-Adapter-Unbalanced-Headphone-Breakout/dp/B07HFVBRR9?psc=1&Subscripti...
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, that adapter will work for the direct input of each channel, xlr out mono right and left to single stereo 1/4 direct input. But if you want to use the main input 1 and main input 2 of the following unit, you just need the xlr female to 1/4 male cable or adapter for balanced runs for each right and left input.
http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Headphone-Amplifiers/HA8000-V2/p/P0...
Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for the story Kirk. Had a chuckle and made me appreciate the sound and media team we have at our church. Smiley Happy
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Jeff Sloan;157965 wrote:
Yes, that adapter will work for the direct input of each channel, xlr out mono right and left to single stereo 1/4 direct input. But if you want to use the main input 1 and main input 2 of the following unit, you just need the xlr female to 1/4 male cable or adapter for balanced runs for each right and left input.
http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Headphone-Amplifiers/HA8000-V2/p/P0...

What you posted isn't what I need. What you posted seems like it would be used between the board's monitor outs and individual mixes. We already have 8 P16-M's so have that covered.

This would be for hearing impaired people that use hearing aids. I want a copy of L&R Mains sent to a box and have the exact same signal replicated so they can plug their bluetooth hearing aid transmitters in and listen to the service that way.

I don't want 8 individual inputs and outputs.

What I was looking at was either the Microamp HA400

or the
Micromix MX300

Except would like more than 4 outputs.
Contributor - Level 2

Paul Vannatto;157980 wrote:
Thanks for the story Kirk. Had a chuckle and made me appreciate the sound and media team we have at our church. Smiley Happy

You're welcome. I was pretty irritated that evening. I just had to hold my tongue to keep any "construction words" from coming out. Figured it would be better to search for a solution than getting other people worked up too.
Contributor - Level 3

The MicroMix isn't what you want since it is an input combiner rather than an output splitter. There is also the 8 output https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-POWERPLAY-HA6000-Amplifiers/dp/B073WG2WCY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=...
Contributor - Level 2

Kirk Dickinson;157981 wrote:
What you posted isn't what I need. What you posted seems like it would be used between the board's monitor outs and individual mixes. We already have 8 P16-M's so have that covered.

This would be for hearing impaired people that use hearing aids. I want a copy of L&R Mains sent to a box and have the exact same signal replicated so they can plug their bluetooth hearing aid transmitters in and listen to the service that way.

I don't want 8 individual inputs and outputs.

What I was looking at was either the Microamp HA400

or the
Micromix MX300

Except would like more than 4 outputs.

While it is true that this unit can have 8 different stereo inputs, one for each individual channel, it also has 2 separate master stereo inputs, that go to all 8 outputs. So, yes, it will do what you need, one L/R output bus from your mixer to 8 separately controlled headphone outputs driving what ever you want. One to Bluetooth transmitter, one to headphones, one to your loop system, one to laser transmitted SETI beacon, whatever. The second master input could be directly from a radio tuned to the game they want to hear in the background.

The direct inputs for each headphone channel are there should you want or need it, but you don't have to use them.
Volunteer Moderator

I would think that you may have interference issues with so many bluetooth transmitters in such close proximity. That one bluetooth transmitter could have been the source of that high frequency digital clipping or white noise you were hearing.
Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

Richard YClark;158000 wrote:
The MicroMix isn't what you want since it is an input combiner rather than an output splitter. There is also the 8 output https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-POWERPLAY-HA6000-Amplifiers/dp/B073WG2WCY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=...

OOps, you are right. I just saw both of them on Amazon and didn't look close at the labels.

I'll take another look at the HA6000 and HA8000, thanks.