Recording

If your passion lies in recording then this is the page for you! Together with other recording engineers, you can share experiences, tips, gear recommendations and more.

Highlighted

Help with some old gear

Contributor - Level 2
Hi folks, first post here. I was hoping to get some help hooking up a few pieces of semi-old Behringer stuff. I have a Eurorack UB2442 FX-Pro, Ultra-Dyne Pro, Ultra-Curve Pro and finally an Edison EX-1 going into a pair of Behringer powered monitors. Just looking to get the best out of this gear and desperately need someone to write out instructions on the best way to hook it all together and keep it simple. I believe I have the cables to do this, I just need a wiring diagram to hopefully get this right. Ins to outs, sends and returns etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm lost. Thank you in advance. -BILL-
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES

Re: Help with some old gear

Volunteer Moderator
The ultradyne pro already includes an exciter so the edison feels somewhat redundant...
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 3
August Swentor;160032 wrote:
Hi folks, first post here. I was hoping to get some help hooking up a few pieces of semi-old Behringer stuff. I have a Eurorack UB2442 FX-Pro, Ultra-Dyne Pro, Ultra-Curve Pro and finally an Edison EX-1 going into a pair of Behringer powered monitors. Just looking to get the best out of this gear and desperately need someone to write out instructions on the best way to hook it all together and keep it simple. I believe I have the cables to do this, I just need a wiring diagram to hopefully get this right. Ins to outs, sends and returns etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm lost. Thank you in advance. -BILL-

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forums. I had to laugh when I first read your post since it sort of says "I have a pile of bricks. Help me build something.". Smiley Happy

What do you want to do with the gear? You don't mention anything about microphones or instruments? Do you want to have a live setup as well or are you just looking to do some recording? If recording, what audio interface are you going to use or are you going to record to analog or DAT tape?

Happy to help but we need to understand your goals.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks Ken, Yeah, I have all the gear listed as well as guitars basses etc.
I acquired this gear some time ago and never set it up properly. To record, Im basically going
into my Roland 880-EX(I know, ancient!) from the board, at least that's the way it was set up. It's a very simple set up with no computer and such. So what I guess I'm looking for out of this set up is, pretty much all the gear will/should be set up for the busses and for overall total mix on output to speakers. I hope this helps and you're probably saying, "really, thats all you want to do with this stuff"? So, my guitar is direct, no amp. As well as drum machine, direct box for bass etc.
I appreciate the help. I know this should be an easy hook up but, I'm frustrated and lost and need the help, thanx again,
_Bill_

Contributor - Level 3
August Swentor;160142 wrote:
Thanks Ken, Yeah, I have all the gear listed as well as guitars basses etc.
I acquired this gear some time ago and never set it up properly. To record, Im basically going
into my Roland 880-EX(I know, ancient!) from the board, at least that's the way it was set up. It's a very simple set up with no computer and such. So what I guess I'm looking for out of this set up is, pretty much all the gear will/should be set up for the busses and for overall total mix on output to speakers. I hope this helps and you're probably saying, "really, thats all you want to do with this stuff"? So, my guitar is direct, no amp. As well as drum machine, direct box for bass etc.
I appreciate the help. I know this should be an easy hook up but, I'm frustrated and lost and need the help, thanx again,
_Bill_

Hi Bill,

OK. Let's start from with the basics and build our way up.

First, Make sure nothing is powered up. Plugged in is OK, just not powered on. Also, all of your gear should be plugged into the same AC Mains to avoid grounding issues.

- Connect the powered monitors to the 2442 Main Outputs L/R using a pair of female-to-maie XLR cables.

- It sounds like your guitar has a line-level output? In other words, no DI needed? If so, connect it to Line 1 on the board. Otherwise, connect it through an active DI box to Line 1.

- Connect the Tape Output RCA connectors on the 2442 to the 880EX Inputs 1 and 2 using a pair of RCA-RCA cables and a couple of RCA-to-TS adapters.

Something like these: https://hosatech.com/products/analog-audio/adaptors/general-adaptors/gpr-101/

With this cabling, you should be able to play your guitar and hear it through your monitors. You should also be able to see the signal coming into the 880EX inputs. Sorry but I don't know what settings are needed to monitor the 880EX input but you should be able to figure that part out from the manual.

Once you get this part working, we'll tackle the next bits.

BTW, have you tested out your 880EX lately? That's an HDD based recorder and I doubt you'd even be able to find a replacement for the HDD. I think it was a parallel SCSI interface, if I remember right.

Ken
If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver

Contributor - Level 2
Thanks Ken,
It isn't the gear that I'm connecting to the mixer. It's the gear itself. With the Ultra-Dyne, Ultra-curve and the Edison. What im looking for is the best way to hook it together. I assume they will all be hooked together with the ins and outs and the sends and returns. For the life of me, I can't remember the order of the gear. Or with the send and return cables that I have, I can't remember where they go and why. Really, this was easy at one point in my life and I've been out of the loop for a long time so, a wiring diagram for(dummies) these units is greatly appreciated. So far, all the info has also been appreciated.
-BILL-

Contributor - Level 3
August Swentor;160194 wrote:
Thanks Ken,
It isn't the gear that I'm connecting to the mixer. It's the gear itself. With the Ultra-Dyne, Ultra-curve and the Edison. What im looking for is the best way to hook it together. I assume they will all be hooked together with the ins and outs and the sends and returns. For the life of me, I can't remember the order of the gear. Or with the send and return cables that I have, I can't remember where they go and why. Really, this was easy at one point in my life and I've been out of the loop for a long time so, a wiring diagram for(dummies) these units is greatly appreciated. So far, all the info has also been appreciated.
-BILL-

Hi Bill,

Let me download the manuals for your FX and do a little reading. Hopefully, I can get something back to you before they turn the forums into Read Only?

Ken
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors