Contributor - Level 1

How do I connect 2 X AIR together for live sound mixing?

We are having a slow live sound upgrade at my church from analogue to digital. So we purchased 2 Behringer X AIR XR18 Digital Rackmount Mixer, one for the instruments and the other for vocals. How would i connect the two mixer using one main (Ipad/Android/PC) control module.

Thank you.
OlayemiOlafimih Contributor - Level 1 2019-01-28

2019-01-28

How do I connect 2 X AIR together for live sound mixing?

We are having a slow live sound upgrade at my church from analogue to digital. So we purchased 2 Behringer X AIR XR18 Digital Rackmount Mixer, one for the instruments and the other for vocals. How would i connect the two mixer using one main (Ipad/Android/PC) control module.

Thank you.

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: How do I connect 2 X AIR together for live sound mixing?

You can only control 1 mixer at a time from an app.

To do what you want, you would have to bring up the app on 2 different devices side-by-side, and control each one independently. You would also need to "daisy chain" the 2 mixers by connecting the main output of one to a pair of inputs on the other, or use some kind of outboard mixer to combine the sets of mains outputs from each X-Air.

Come to think of it... It might be possible to run 2 copies of the X Air mixer app on the same PC, and use each instance to control a different mixer.

If you can't run 2 copies of the X Air mixer app on the same PC, you could run 1 copy on each of 2 PCs, and then use something like VNC to see/control the second PC's screen on the same display as the first PC and not have to switch back-and-forth between 2 computers.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

2 instances of the app running on a computer will work. Can't do 2 instances of the same app on an ipad, but the workaround for that is to use the XR app and the MR app. On android you can make a copy of the app and rename it, then you have 2 different apps running.

All that said, an X32Rack (+an SD8 if you need more IO) would be a lot easier.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

By the way, I just found this thread which covers the subject of running 2 instance of the X-Air Edit app at the same time on 1 PC...

https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?10941-Can-you-operate-multiple-instances-of-the-XR18-sof...

I just now tried the trick of making a copy of the X-Air-Edit executable, and confirmed that I can have 2 instances running side-by-side at the same time.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Two XR18's connected do not act as one big mixer.
There are a lot of limitations in terms of effect sends, monitor sends, etc.
You might want to rethink this plan to avoid disappointments.
X32 Rack + SD8 or SD16 is a much more future proof investment.
Agreed, more expensive, but totaly worth it, specialy with today's prices.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Sure, why not?

First of all, if you ain't purchased two X-Airs yet, I concur that an X32 rack plus an 8- or 16-channel IO box is a preferred choice. It would be a much, much cleaner signal path, and the price is not too much higher than a pair of XR18s.

But if you're already established, it ain't no big thing. In my band, I use an XR-12 as a submix for my keyboards, mixing down four to six channels into a stereo feed for the band's X32 Rack.

Similarly, if you're "stuck" with two XRs, I suggest you use one for an instrument sub mix and feed that into a couple of inputs of the second XR. (Use the second one in the path for the most important stuff like the preaching.)

If you have some spare inputs on the second XR, you may even want to increase the number of submixes coming out of the first one, e.g., a stereo drum mixdown (2 aux outs) and a stereo all-other-instruments mixdown.
-Tom Williams