Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

IPv6 Support for OSC Control

As I'm moving more networks towards IPv6 exclusively, my X32 is quickly becoming one of the last pieces of gear that doesn't support it. Can IPv6 support be added to the roadmap for a future firmware update if it isn't on there already? DHCP support would be great to have as well.
BradIsbell Contributor - Level 3 2017-03-26

2017-03-26

IPv6 Support for OSC Control

As I'm moving more networks towards IPv6 exclusively, my X32 is quickly becoming one of the last pieces of gear that doesn't support it. Can IPv6 support be added to the roadmap for a future firmware update if it isn't on there already? DHCP support would be great to have as well.

• 0 Kudos
  • 7 Replies
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: IPv6 Support for OSC Control

Implementing ipv6 would be a huge effort so I doubt that this will happen.

Dhcps would be nice though...
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

That's unfortunate. With IPv6 being standardized for nearly 20 years and rapidly replacing IPv4, I was hoping Behringer would add support. It seems that there is off-the-shelf XMOS code available with IPv6 support: https://www.xmos.com/published/ethernet-tcp/ip-component-programming-guide-%28documentation%29?versi... I don't know if that applies here or not, but if it does, perhaps this effort is not as huge as it seems to be.
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Brad Isbell;119971 wrote:
That's unfortunate. With IPv6 being standardized for nearly 20 years and rapidly replacing IPv4, I was hoping Behringer would add support. It seems that there is off-the-shelf XMOS code available with IPv6 support: https://www.xmos.com/published/ethernet-tcp/ip-component-programming-guide-%28documentation%29?versi... I don't know if that applies here or not, but if it does, perhaps this effort is not as huge as it seems to be.

The x32 doesn't use the xcore so those libraries won't work.

The os on the x32 is built in-house from scratch but I don't know if the networking stack is provided by the mcu manufacturer or not...

I'd say that ipv4 is still the goto for local/home networks using ipv4<-->ipv6 bridges for communication outside of the local network. Ipv4 won't go away for a long time yet.
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 3

It will make definitly no sense to use ipv6 at this time (and the next years).

What should be the benfit?

Longer Numbers?
More expansive routers?
More protocoll-overhead?

X32 units are not running in big networks with thousands of ipv6-units.

If needed you can combine ipv6 and ipv4 in one network without troubles.
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

I too would like to see it implemented over IPv6.
Some of you say it is completely unnecesarry but just because you don't need it doesn't mean there is no need.
-Marty America
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

I'll also throw in my vote for IPv6 for the X32 and also the X Touch. I'm designing out our facility's network using our IPv6 allocations and I'd really prefer to be able to have all of our gear talk natively with our various routers & hosts.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Still hoping for IPv6 support.

In the mean time, I built a proxying tool to work around this problem.  https://bitbucket.org/audiopump/x32-proxy/

You can use a Raspberry Pi and proxy to the X32 this way.  Unfortunately, due to limitations in X32-Edit, you may actually need to double-proxy the connection.