Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Is the X-Touch Mini functioning with the X-Air Mixers yet?

Hi Folks. New here. Multiple Behringer product owner. Multiple X-Touch and X-Air mixers.

I just purchased the X-Mini for use at Rodeo announcing as I have discovered over the summer that I really would like having hardware controls at my finger tips rather than burning down an iPad over the course of the performance. Thusly I purchased a Mini for this application. Only to discover as I plugged it into my Laptop that it does not access X-Edit. QUITE disapointing as I have a show 8 days from now and would VERY much like to use it, rather than my X-touch Universal in the dirt.

Is it possible yet? I see that the USB Midi boxes check now in x-edit, still no joy though.

Thank folks.
Wade
WadeStine Contributor - Level 2 2016-09-15

2016-09-15

Is the X-Touch Mini functioning with the X-Air Mixers yet?

Hi Folks. New here. Multiple Behringer product owner. Multiple X-Touch and X-Air mixers.

I just purchased the X-Mini for use at Rodeo announcing as I have discovered over the summer that I really would like having hardware controls at my finger tips rather than burning down an iPad over the course of the performance. Thusly I purchased a Mini for this application. Only to discover as I plugged it into my Laptop that it does not access X-Edit. QUITE disapointing as I have a show 8 days from now and would VERY much like to use it, rather than my X-touch Universal in the dirt.

Is it possible yet? I see that the USB Midi boxes check now in x-edit, still no joy though.

Thank folks.
Wade

• 0 Kudos
  • 15 Replies
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Is the X-Touch Mini functioning with the X-Air Mixers yet?

Yeah... your 60 dollar midi controller doesn't have the bells and whistles that the 600 dollar one does.

At least you have 8 days to figure out a different solution. Pick up a cheap android tablet and you should be up and running in no time.

Bonare -- It's pronounced "bone'wah"
Contributor - Level 2

Larry Bonare;84926 wrote:
Yeah... your 60 dollar midi controller doesn't have the bells and whistles that the 600 dollar one does.
At least you have 8 days to figure out a different solution. Pick up a cheap android tablet and you should be up and running in no time.

Yup. I expected my mini to have less than my universal controller. I did however expect it to work out of the box with all the other gear I own that has the same name on it. See knob, twist knob, does something. Rather does nothing. I have worked out a work around though using 3rd party software. It's janky, but it mostly works.

I hope someone at the music group is working on a solution so their products work together. Maybe they could even update this thread with some information?
Contributor - Level 1

Software

What software did you use? I'm trying to figure this out as well.
Contributor - Level 1

Michael Lapke;85801 wrote:
Hi Wade,

The X-TOUCH COMPACT has EDITOR Software available for download from our website as a solution that allows users to customize the capabilities of your controller using MIDI CC Commands. You can see what's configurable with X AIR in the MIDI implementation chart located in the back of the X AIR product documentation on page 31.

Currently this gives you control over things like faders, pans, mutes and SNAPSHOT scene access of your mixer. If you are looking for more in depth control of your X AIR Mixer then it's recommended you upgrade to the full size X-TOUCH Universal Controller as much more has implemented in that design.

Michael:
I have programmed the mini with what I believe to be the proper commands per the X Air chart; no reaction in X Air when I connect to my laptop's USB. Should I be connecting the mini to the USB port on my XR18 (is that a powered connection)? I am just looking for fader control and mutes from the mini--thought that was possible...

Steve Jordan
Triber Moderator

Stephen Jordan;86958 wrote:
Michael:
I have programmed the mini with what I believe to be the proper commands per the X Air chart; no reaction in X Air when I connect to my laptop's USB. Should I be connecting the mini to the USB port on my XR18 (is that a powered connection)? I am just looking for fader control and mutes from the mini--thought that was possible...

Steve Jordan

Hi Steve,

My sincerest apologies as I mistakenly posted that the X-TOUCH MINI could be used to control X AIR in this way.

When posting I forgot that the only output of the MINI is USB-Mini, which is not possible to use MIDI to control X AIR using a direct USB-Mini to USB connection on your mixer. I went ahead and removed my erroneous post (and corrected your quote of my post) as not to confuse anyone else in this regard in the future. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you or anyone else who read my post in trying to get it to work with X AIR.

In contrast, the procedure I outlined will work with using the X-TOUCH COMPACT to control X AIR, but unfortunately currently there is no way I know of for this to be possible with X-TOUCH MINI. Wade Stine seems to have a 3rd party software option that kinda works, maybe he will be kind and chime on how he was able to do it. Or maybe just send him a private message here in the forum and ask him?
Michael Lapke
Contributor - Level 2

I've used one of the following converters to successfully control my X-Air mixer via a Korg nanoKontrol (which is similar to the Mini, and also only has a mini USB out connection, and no 5-pin MIDI DIN):

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-board-v2

You need to order the preinstalled "MIDI Device" version. Then just add a MIDI port and a power supply.

So: X-Touch --usb cable--> USB Host Board --MIDI cable--> X-Air mixer.

Inexpensive, reliable, and easy.
Super Contributor - Level 2

If anyone is still interested in doing this, I've got it working. See: https://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?16982-Controlling-an-XR12-via-MIDI-using-an-XTouch-Mini
Contributor - Level 2

Well, here we are.. 6 months later. Anyone from Behringer here with a how-to yet? I see Rex got it working with some supplemental hardware. Not exactly the most ideal operation, but if it works, it ain't stupid I guess.

I have a situation where I really would like my BEHRINGER X-mini to work with my BEHRINGER digital mixer and BEHRINGER X-air editor.

How about it guys? Got the internal midi turned on yet?
Contributor - Level 2

Today, Behringer's social media posted a picture, it has intrigued me since it looks like a user was able to connect the x touch mini to the x air, using a sort of box that receives the usb cable from the x touch and then is connected using ethernet to a router.

Anyone has seen this?